Thread: Trapping Business License???

Default Trapping Business License???

How many of you have a small business license for trapping or selling garment fur you've trapped? Is there such a thing? I'm just considering selling my fur/skulls and not just to NAFA/Western Canadian auction. Can I get a small business license so that I can write off a few of my expenses throughout the year. Is this something anyone does? Trapping has become more than just a hobby for me and I'm considering purchasing some remote property so I can enlarge my catch..... Please feel free to PM me if your not comfortable posting to the public. Thanks

I don't think you need a biz license to consider your trapping a business and write off expenses. You already have a trapping license.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default you'll need

commercial furdealer license and a borough business license and depending on where you live a city business license
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Anyone who engages in business activity in Alaska must have a state business license.

A trapping license is not a business license. A borough or city license does not supercede the state license.

If you DBA and fill out a Schedule C on your tax returns, you must have a state business license.

http://www.commerce.state.ak.us/
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default I have use trapping

as a write off on my taxes and you DO NOT have to have a business license to do so.

Thanks for the link JOAT..... I did a business license search in "agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting" after that it gives you a category for "hunting and trapping". I skimmed through the names of businesses and locations. Judging by the names and locations of some I would say they have a business license just for trapping.

This is a very bad place (the forums) to get business advice. I've done the self-employed small business thing (even have a degree in small business management to go with it) and you're getting some poor advice around here. State law states quite clearly that if you engage in ANY business activity (selling any product or service for profit) that you MUST have a state business license. Those who don't have said license who are selling products for profit are actually breaking the law.

The best advice is to forget about asking what people on the internet do and talk to your accountant, tax preparer, or business attorney. If you intend to create an income stream by harvesting and selling a product, you need a business license from the state. It's a very simple process and quite inexpensive. The cost of the license is fully tax deductible on your Schedule C form.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I'll go along with what Joat is saying. Along those lines, I used trapping as a business on my tax form. My CPA used a schedule C for the trapping biz. I did not have a biz license and he never advised me I needed one.
    I'm not saying Joat is wrong. However, the likelyhood of anyone forcing you to get a biz license is small.
    For most of us, the amount of money involved in a trapping biz will not garner any attention.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default fur dealer license

copied from page 9 of the trapping regs

Fur Dealer License
    A fur dealer license allow you to buy, barter, and resell animal skins. You do not need a fur dealer license to sell the raw fur you legally trapped nor do you need a trapping or fur dealer license to buy raw fur for you own use. However if you want to buy or barter animal skins for the purpose of reselling them, you will need a fur dealer license. For more information on how to obtain a fur dealer license, please contact AKF&G's Licensing Section at 907-465-2376

still wouldn't hurt to get one...in case you a get a good client base that that may ask for more than what you have

fur dealer license application
    http://www.admin.adfg.state.ak.us/ad...nse/11-528.pdf

Also you may still need a borough license and city license as well if you perform any type of business where you are paid for services/goods or receive any type of compensation
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Thanks to all who commented..... After all the phone calls, research, visits to the borough building and UAA Small Business Admin. I've come to this conclusion.. I am applying for a Small Business license with a letter asking to be exempt from having to have a professional license. If my application is approved I have to submit a form to collect sales tax for the borough. State NAICS code gives one number for Hunting and Trapping although using this number on the Small business app. requires you to have a professional license however there is no professional license for trapping, only big game guiding. It's been one of those deals where I dang near gave up because it was turning into such a headache.... For now I think I have it straightened out but I'll see what happens. It's all in the mail on its way to Juneau.