Thread: Choke question

Default Choke question

What the correct answer for this question ?

Question: Which choke is suitable for hunting hunting larger waterfowl such as geese and sea ducks?
    a. cylinder (unchoked)
    b. improved cylinder
    c. modified
    d. full
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

I use modified.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I was asking because I just took the hunters safety course on-line .And 2 of the question I missed were correct their answers were wrong I emailed them and they said they would take a better look at the answers here is the entire question with their correct answer so you tell me what one is correct. I'm only posting this because you would think that the people that make up the test would know the correct answers .If I'm wrong on this then I will will be the first to admit it.

Question: Which choke is suitable for hunting hunting larger waterfowl such as geese and sea ducks?
    a. cylinder (unchoked)
    b. improved cylinder
    c. modified
    d. full
    Your answer: c
    Correct answer: d
    Explanation: Modified choke has moderate constriction. The pellets stay together longer, making the shot string denser and more useful at longer ranges. This choke is used often when dove hunting and when using steel shot to hunt for ducks or geese. There is also an Improved Modified choke that is slightly tighter than Modified.

Modified is denser... when compared to the improved or cylinder.

My first question was... what are the rest of the variables? What shotgun, what barrel length, what type of ammo, expected distance to targets, what is the skill level of the shooter, etc.

So, my answer is; "it depends". And that IS the right answer.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I use Modified, It works great for shooting ducks over decoys or jump shooting. And it doesn't screw up your barrel when shooting steel (In some shotguns who don't have full chokes approved for steel shot). You just have to know the range your gun can effectively knock down birds at. Modified seems to be the right answer for my gun, and my shooting skill.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I know I use Mod. I was just posted this to see If I was correct and they were wrong ,Some poor kid taking the test might miss this and could of passed his test.

The correct answer is to pattern your gun with various chokes and find which gives you the best, most evenly distributed pattern with the ammo of your choice at the ranges you expect to shoot.

I use a light modified Comp-N-Choke in my 20 gauge Benelli Cordoba and it gives fantastic patterns with #3 Kent Fasteel out to any reasonable range.

I believe that anything tighter than a light modified would give me blown patterns due to "over choking" of the column of steel shot.

A traditional full choke would be too tight for a typical steel shot load. However, some of the soft tungsten based pellets (like Nice shot and Tundra shot) would likely act more like lead shot and require a tighter choke than steel to get their best patterns.

Like JOAT said the best answer is "it depends".

Default Removal

I would say the question should be removed from the test. There are to many variables to give a one choke answer to all situations.
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

What the correct answer for this question ?

a. cylinder (unchoked)
    b. improved cylinder
    c. modified
    d. full
    While I generally shoot modified, think this question needs to be rewritten as it is my understanding of chokes that you change to tighter chokes if you are shooting longer distances not shooting larger birds. Full choke on any bird under 25yds probably gonna ruin the meat in my opinion.
    Jesse
    HR SHR JR's Gunny Dog "Ermey"
    SR JR's Marsh Mangling Mindy
    SR JR's LNR Thicket Thrashing Trixie

Somethig to think about as well, is that steel has naturally tight patters, and a full choke may be to much, even at a reasonable distance. I have switched to Impoved Cylinder on my gun, and have noticed a difference when shooting steel shot. I wanted to add that I am shooting a junker mossberg 835 with steel shot choke tubes. Just my two cents.
    Last edited by Woody; 03-10-2010 at 11:48. Reason: added info

Woody the 835 is back bored it is a fine gun for birds I use a Ruger Red Label and use skeet tubes. I hunt exclusively over dekes for up close nothing better than 2 3/4 4s early season over dekes up-close and personal.

I'm using a Rem 870 with 3" BB steel and modified choke. This seems to be the best compromise for range and pattern density for my gun and ability.

Mountintrekker