Thread: Where should I fish on Quartz Lake?

Default Where should I fish on Quartz Lake?

I'm heading out to Quartz on Friday, and I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I read in a previous thread that fishing right off the boat launch is the place to be. Is that still the case, or have the fish moved into deeper water. Thanks in advance.

-Justin

Quote Originally Posted by jjkoestler View Post
    I'm heading out to Quartz on Friday, and I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I read in a previous thread that fishing right off the boat launch is the place to be. Is that still the case, or have the fish moved into deeper water. Thanks in advance.

-Justin
    It is gonna be slow, I can pretty much guarantee that. Right at the boat launch is usually where we go. We sometimes venture out towards the middle and I did catch a nice one in February towards the middle, must of been a fluke...

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Default Agreed

Concur with BigCox...right by shanties D-8 or D-9...expect SLOW action in Feb but Good Luck!!!

Sapper in the Skies

Default the point

I have been fishing off the point in about 11 feet of water and doing good untill this last weekend. Fish and game in Delta told me that early in the winter off the boat launch is best and that later in the winter off the point is better. However I don't no this myself, this is my first winter fishing Quarts and the others here I think have much more time spent on the ice there.
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

Default Shallow?

I would go shallow first!! Then go deeper...I do ok at Quartz...I still want to know more about Harding??
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

I just got back from fishing there. Not a single bite, not even a nibble. Too bad for me. I was fishing in about 10 feet of water like 300 feet from the left boat launch.

Default Slow...yes

Quote Originally Posted by anglerwise View Post
    I just got back from fishing there. Not a single bite, not even a nibble. Too bad for me. I was fishing in about 10 feet of water like 300 feet from the left boat launch.
    I feel ya, its been typically slow for me in FEB-MAR also. Nov-DEC seems most productive, like Big Cox mentioned we fish in about 1 foot of water out on the flats...slow bite, can be worth it....

Its been really slow previous years where we would think its been winter killed...not true....just that slow
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Thanks for the input fellas. I just got back from fishing Quartz in shack D-8. I caught 5 keeper bows. 2@17, 2@14, 1@13. I caught the 17 inchers on tip-ups using large shrimp and eggs. All but 1 of the fish were caught between 10:30 - 11:30.

For all you guy's that fish the lake, you can get a map of the contur's of the lake at the delta F&G office.

Most of the lake is around 5', that being said, from the launch to the point can reach 50' ( or something like that) Big trough in there.

I caught a 22"er ( char) in the 5' water's off to the left of the boat launch.

Cool contour for quartz

The contour maps are also online on the states web site. Here is the one for quartz.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/State...tail/LakeID/89
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

The year that got toted as the winter kill year isnt quite fact or fiction.

Low oxygen content had fish movement down. I had talked to them about some tests they did on oxygen levels, they said all they could find MIGHT harbor creek chubs. Find the o2, you find fish. That spring the fish were there, though very very few in areas we saw a bunch of fish in.

Lastly, quartz is a put and take fishery for bows. We all know this. And we all know that adfg wasn't putting any numbers up to the 'winter kill year'. We could see this every spring in the extremely reduced amount of fish we'd find in the shallows. The last couple of years has been..>OK< Definatly not what it was just a few years ago. There is still some good fish as we all know! The limits need to be reduced or the number of stocked fish NEEDS to be increased to sustain current fishing pressures....seems a standard amongst interior waters....