Thread: at what range is to far to take a animal when hunting with a handgun ..

Default at what range is to far to take a animal when hunting with a handgun ..

at what range is to far to safely take a animal when hunting with a handgun and what is the closest that you get to a big game animal like a moose when hunting with a handgun ..

i was figureing on staying inside the 100 yard range mark when hunting with a handgun for both deer and moose when useing the 460 revolver .with the 460 round for moose and the 45.lc for deer and other small game animals ..plus i never want to try and take a animal outside the so called clean kill zone range that we can safely take a animal with any hunting i do over the years for i was taught that by father and grandfather when it came to hunting .

My personal rule of thumb for my own field shooting is half the distance at which I can maintain "hunting" accuracy in the controlled conditions of a range. It's pretty straight forward for me to keep groups under 6" at 100 yards at the range with an open sighted revolver, so my usual limit on hunts is around 50 yards. That's all in recognition of the extra pressures of a hunt, breathing hard sometimes, and uneven terrain. In fact the longest shot I've ever taken on game (Sitka blacktail) with a revolver was 77 yards. Dead rest, flat ground, and I was completely relaxed, or else I wouldn't have taken the shot.

Scopes pretty easily stretch my limit on the range with the revolver out to about 150 yards, but I don't scope my revolvers any more. If I'm scoping a handgun, it's a Contender in a lot flatter shooting caliber than most revolver rounds. Just my twitch. Longest shot on deer with a scoped Contender (7mm TCU) was a lasered 221 yards. Got the deer, but I was lucky. I had zero expansion on the bullet, and the deer showed no sign of a hit before stepping out of sight. I was following it up and hoping to get a second shot when I found a single spot of blood after 30-40 yards. Found the deer piled up 100 yards beyond that, holes in both lungs and a tiny exit.

Default No answer

The question can not really be answered with a definitive answer. Caliber, weather conditions, sights, shooters abilities, barrel length, shooting position, large game / small game and many more variables come to play.

That said: I have taken moose out to 65 yards with a open sighted 629 .44 mag., deer at 120 yards with the 10" Contender in .44 mag. with a 1.5X scope. My 7mm/08 Encore with a 2x8 Leupold is more than accurate out to 200 yards and I would not hesitate that shot on a sheep or goat.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

thank you for the info about the ranges when hunting with a handgun

Typically the distance is more limited by the ability of the shooter than the gun. With my iron sighted 480, I'm confident to 50 yds offhand and 100yds from a rest. I know it is sufficiently powerful for longer ranges, but I can't properly place me shots to take advantage of the power.

With a scoped handgun and a proper rest I could take shots out to 200 yds if it's a flat enough shooting round to where I don't have to compensate for drop. But I found a scoped handgun so unwieldly for anything but shooting from a solid rest, I got rid of them and either use a scoped rifle, or an iron sighted sixgun.

Ad the others have said, it's more about your ability than anything else.
    When I was shooting my S&W mod 29 44 mag a lot a couple years abo I figured I was good to 100yds with the right conditions & shot angle (320 hardcast bullets, red dor sight).
    Now I have a Ruger SRH in 480 that I love. Has the same rod dot sight on it the S&W had, & a lot more power. That said, I haven't shot it a lot yet & about 50yds would probably be a comfortable max right now.
    I've had some Contender & Encore combos that I could consistently nail pop cans with at 300+yds (prone w/a bipod) so that can stretch it out.
    Get good with your 460 & 150yd moose should be a possibility.
    After the gun is sighted in when I practice I spend all the time I can shooting at steel plates hanging in the brush that are 8x10 or 10x12 ish inches. A little smaller than a moose kill zone. I shoot at them from different angles & positions, with a natural rest & without, etc. It's a hit (kill) or a miss. Keep the plates spray painted & you can see your hits.
    At the range I like to shoot clay pigeons set up at various ranges. Again, it's a hit or a miss.
    That practice has more value for hunting than the bench does.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

All very good advice. The guns can out shoot just about everyone but maybe Bob Munden or Jerry Miculek so it’s absolutely about your ability to shoot it. I had not thought it out like that but I do basically what Brown Bear dose, cut in half what I can do in controlled conditions. It’s not a hard and fast rule with me though, I stay flexible. Range is only one of many variables, size of the critter’s kill zone, weather, angles, brush, did you just run the 440 all paly a major role in it also.

With the 357 and 45 Blackhawks I have done the majority of my hunting with I’m trustworthy to 100 at the range holding about a 6” group. In the field I like 50 yards for those guns but that does not mean I’m gonna pass on 60 or 80 every time, likewise it does not mean 40 is always in range ether.

When things are right and feel good I have been known to reach on out, once in a great wile even to 110-120. Add panting, hart rate, weather, up and down angles and I have passed on more than one 35-40 yard shot. It’s hard to have worked your butt off only to look a critter in the eye inside 40 and watch him trot off because you can’t hold the sights on target . . . but that’s handgun hunting.

I’m still learning my 460V but with a scope and sticks it looks like it about doubles range for me with killing power on the back end. Range wise I feel as confident with it as I do with a Winchester 30-30 but 460 hits them like a Mack truck.

How close can you get to an Alaska moose? TOO CLOSE! I was shocked when I moved here that they will walk right up and smell you out in the yard. That does not translate to hunting a big bull though, they seem to know when it’s season around here and hide. Everyplace I have been on the road system they are like that from the hunting pressure I think. They can be stalked into 50 yards but if they bust you they trot off into the thick, gone. I’ve had no luck at all calling them myself but some guys do just fine that way. If you get in the bush far enough from the roads they will sometimes walk into camp to see what all the commotion is about and I have had luck calling in the bush. Around here I would say it’s very easy to get within 200 yards, not hard to do 150, inside that if he knows your there he’s gone but still not bad to stalk to 100 or even 50 if you do it well.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Here is a story to help you understand what I mean about the moose around here. I got a bull here that I watched grow up. When he was a yearling he started sexually molesting my yellow news paper box. He bends it all up, gets it and the paper all sticky and harry, which gets the wife mad and thatís bad all round for me when the wife is mad! All summer he was out there having his way with it almost every evening but he was a spike so I thought I would put him in the freezer come fall. Nope! Come fall that little pervert was nowhere to be found so I spent a happy winter thinking the guy across the way that donít talk to me got him. So when summer comes the pervert is back, the wife is mad, and now heís not legal to harvest under our spike-fork/50Ē/3-ting rule.

Two more summers we put up with the pervert, always hoping someone would sourdough him. The third summer I see he is legal with 3 tings and heís going to be good eating come fall. NOPE! That was 4 years now and he is always holding up where I canít find him come season. He had become a very good trophy last year and I hunted hard for him when I got back from my dadís funeral at the start of season. The good news is that he at least seems to have found girls and is not near as hard on the newspaper box now.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

i would say as far as you feel safe makeing the shot i think i read the 460 zero's at 200 yards. as far as how close you can get is up to the moose and the weather i took a small bull last year from 5-6yds but othe times couldent get within 200yds.

I've killed a dozen or so coyotes with handguns. Mostly with with a 6 inch 686 shooting 125jhps. The furthest was on a dead run at 150 yards and the 5th round in the cylinder hit him in the neck. You might say I was just shooting in front of him and he ran into one. That coyote was running flat out by the time I let the 5th round fly and I swear I was leading him 20 ft. Nope I'm not that good. That coyote just had a very bad day!

Deer are another story. They have to be standing still and broadside or I won't shoot. 100 yards is a good limit with 41 mag on up. This last thanksgiving I shot a doe with my carry gun, a Glock 22 in 40 S&W. I took it to the tree stand with the idea of only taking shots that would be considered as being in bow range. I got a total pass through and double lunged her at 20 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I've killed a dozen or so coyotes with handguns. Mostly with with a 6 inch 686 shooting 125jhps. The furthest was on a dead run at 150 yards and the 5th round in the cylinder hit him in the neck. You might say I was just shooting in front of him and he ran into one. That coyote was running flat out by the time I let the 5th round fly and I swear I was leading him 20 ft. Nope I'm not that good. That coyote just had a very bad day!

Deer are another story. They have to be standing still and broadside or I won't shoot. 100 yards is a good limit with 41 mag on up. This last thanksgiving I shot a doe with my carry gun, a Glock 22 in 40 S&W. I took it to the tree stand with the idea of only taking shots that would be considered as being in bow range. I got a total pass through and double lunged her at 20 yards.
    i hate coyotes with a hate that some people can not understand for they are the animal that i just a plain should not in the food chain of this world ..they kill my dog when i was young and liveing on the farm and i hated they since that

Quote Originally Posted by henry2 View Post
    i hate coyotes with a hate that some people can not understand for they are the animal that i just a plain should not in the food chain of this world ..they kill my dog when i was young and liveing on the farm and i hated they since that
    I fully agree with you henry2! I had a 3 year old female beagle when I was 10. The coyotes tore her to pieces. I have shot hundreds of them the last 30 years and will shoot hundreds more if I tarry that long! Anything within the realms of the law goes when killing coyotes!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I have chucked a bunch of lead at calf killing yotes and feral dogs like that, even hit some of them. I'd chuck lead 500 yards at them chicken eaten calf killers in Arizona, I don't conceder it hunting though. I don’t hate them, I admire them as a very worthy and at times amazing adversary just doing what they do. Not been any shortage of them in Arizona since they cracked down on poisoning back in the 70s. Lost more good pets to them over the years than I want to remember.

Not long before I moved to Alaska Yotes stole my 69 pound prize turkey that I had been bragging about to all that would listen. He was to be honored at the center of my Thanksgiving table then about a week before the grand event there was a commotion by the barn. I got the spotlight fixed on that yote just in time to see him drag that bird that weighed more than him over the 6’ chain link coop fence like it was nothing! Pissed me off so bad that around turkeyday people still call me just ask “How’s ole Tom doing?” then giggle at me over it.

Did feel good when one would find one of the hundred bullets I chucked and the rest stay away for a bit.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona