Thread: Snares for children.....

Default Snares for children.....

With my Polaris being very very tired, and the replacement head gaskets being the wrong type, we have moved our snare line closer to home.
    The 2nd youngest daughter Iriqtaq wants to run dogs, something she will have to provide for, as well, she'll be able to feed herself and others with such skills.

So we packed out a dozen to the local willows that had promising tracks, and she and I set snares and our walking companion Paul got a workout.

We left them overnight, and on the way home I poped a Bunny and the girl saw a covey of Ptarmigan deep in the willows.
    Now we shot our hearts out, high , low, left right, but nothing worked. neither of us was getting a bullet slid down those narrow glimpses......
    I did notice that the wilows were flicking in various ways and once and for all I must declare that there in NO "Brush Bucking" with a .22lr! any little hit sent them careening with plenty of buzzzzzzzz....... and 40 (!!!) shots later we had three. That discounts the 1 I shot the Rabbit with, the 4 duds, and the 5 I shot at a lake grass, just to make sure I could actually shoot straight and hadnt developed some major ocular defect....
    Well patients and some very stupid Ptarmigan let to a few actually getting to the top of the dense stand, bent on eating.......being clear of the bullet proof propertys of dense willow, they were shot as should be, and the girl pop'd the first one.

If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Default Dogs

Dogs are a good way to trap. They tell you when there is something ahead they are quiet and sometimes they are quite exausting trying to keep them off the lynx/coyote or whatever else has made it into your sets. Running and caring for them as a kid growing up was always a dreaded chore. 100 dogs is a chore. Everyday rain or shine, fishing or hunting season, yhe dogs demand attention. But looking back it was some of the most enjoyable times of my life. My brother and I had some wild and crazy adventures with our teams, Once in a while mom and dad will frrd them for you.

those branches are the reason some people use shotguns.

Stranger I bought a Mosin Nagant yesterday from the neighbor 7.62x54 won't see it until I get home New still in the box packed in cosmolean. How hard is ammo to come by
    Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.
    - General George S. Patton

As the Daughter had schooling to attend, I ventured out and with curious Paul in tow check'd the snares.

Some had been tipped over (too low), and one had actually been chewed on by a Rabbit in the night ~~LOL!!~~

there was, however a bit of Luck....

And since the dogs are mostly Pups, we didnt have to give it all to 'em....

The counter after a typical dinner done here....the remains of a 10 lbs roast, 3 Ptarmigan, A Goose 3 Mallards, and two Bunnies with fresh baked rolls and rice with gravey and hot Tea.......

Ahhhhhhhhh, YES, the Mosin Nagant....

Ive been tooling about with a nice 91 lately, getting it fresh air and some time together getting to know 'em.

I use Czech light ball. Ammo can be a phone call away to J&Gsales in Prescott AZ. They know how to get ammo to Alaska, and will use a "Holding Company" so that your UPS Ground can drop off to , say ,NAC in Seattle, I think they are called NAC-Link. Anyhoo, get Nac-links # and tell it to J&G, email your ID, use a credit card to the same name and # and you will have ammo inna few days. I buy bulk, and my Mosin like Bulgaroian, Hungarian and Czech the best , all in silver tipped FMJ 147 grn. light ball.....as opposed to the Warsaw Pact standard Yellow tipped Heavy ball.

That all said, we just happend to have two "Potentials" as in very smart and dominating pups following us today. They have figured to stay behind us , about 20 feet and were still as can be when we were getting in snares. I know they know where food comes from, these same pups were checking nets with us as well, and are very good for the kids. They also lead us out on walks, always checking where we are and keeping a distance ahead, knowing the way home. The one I like has a torn neck, and is still healing,(and quite well at that) but hes loose and not in the trash.......I like 'em more every day.

Default Info

Thanks for the info I will get some sent so it is there when i get home. So The boys and I can go tryout the new rifle. When I get home I think they have wrestling tournament in Soldotna the next day, will try a litttle calling on the way back and see if we can give it a proper break in. I was told to have the bolt faced when I get it how is the accuracy for yours. I will shoot it before I have it touched though if at all. I mean I don't hunt flies at 100 yards. I usually just swat them.

Yeah the dogs have a perception we can only wish to have some of. Thin ice, moose, and other obstacles. Great set of extra senses.
    Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.

If that Mosin is in the cosmo, its been post war Arsenal checked/repaired and brought into spec, and Im sure You will have nothing more to do than clean it, research it at gunboards.com ,and use it to death.
    I hunt with mine.....
    The milsurp ammo I described, is corrosivly primed, and all you need do is rinse the bore with boiling water.
    I use a small funnel at home, down the chamber the water will dissolve and flush the salts, scrub it, rinse a seconde time.
    Its self drying,about 5 seconds and a light oil wipe to store.
    Thats what the Russians did, and if you look at your bore, you will see its a very efficent method.
    Made for the North, idiot proof, and heavy enough to make recoil very tolerable.
    Long ol' walking stick will square up your shoulders hunting summertime, as good a companion as a well trained dog.

Default Mosin

And you can use the bayonet for a gun rack in the field
    thanks

Default What?

Wow! I read the title "Snares for children" and thought something wicked was going on!

Quote Originally Posted by TMCKEE View Post
    Wow! I read the title "Snares for children" and thought something wicked was going on!
    .....I was intruiged by the title, as well!

- great pictures!-and, everything, Stranger!
    -I've enjoyed this-
    ....a well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed....

Default lol

I need a bunch.. Lol

Default snares for children

chuckle...

Yeah me to!

Default Great attention grabber!

I was going to order some.