Thread: Unit 22 Ox, next year.

Default Unit 22 Ox, next year.

Going to be some changes to unit 22 Ox in some subunits. Expecting the quota in 22C to go down. The hunt should go much quicker. Unlikely to last more than one month in my estimation. Might be a mature bull quota within the quota.
    22E quota will go down also. That shouldn't be a problem as the quota will still be higher than the average harvest for the last several years. Possibilities still exist for the trophy destruction up there to change.
    The bright spot, at least in my mind, is the 22D moose and Musk Ox seasons running at the same time. There is a winter hunt in 22D, for antlered bulls. The moose pop is decent and presents real opportunities for a harvest. Musk Ox are present and one could quite possibly get both.
    We'll see later this year what really comes to pass.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I am starting to make plans for a January trip next year. Have some friends that used to live in Nome and have access to a heated cab argo and place to stay there, so we'll hopefully be able to take a few days to do the hunt and go after both moose and musk ox. If I make it up there, I'd like to take the time to swing by and meet you.

Do you typically see moose with antlers in January? It would be nice to find something with a decent rack, maybe a 36+"er. Will that be a trophy destruction type hunt as well?

Thanks for keeping us informed.

Plenty of bulls with racks, but mostly small/medium. Seen one from this Jan that may have been 50. No trophy destruction on moose.

Default next year

Will be interesting to see how next year goes for sure. I do know that I will NOT be going after ox again if they start to take up "goat country" as their main habitat.

Decent moose hunting in Jan. I've seen 60+" still walking around in Jan.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Mike,
    We are talking about doing a Nome hunt again next year so I will talk with you later about the prospects and what your recommendations would be. Thanks again.
    Bill (ak68)

Default read post in bowhunting

I just did a post with pictures in the bowhunting forum on the muskox I shot with my bow last weekend in 22c. martentrapper was a wealth of information and help on this hunt.

Thanks Bill. Great pics. I'll be ready for next year.
    Still time for a hunt this wekend. Quota may fill this weekend. Get a hold of me soon if anyone wants to try this hunt.