Thread: Sorry Baron....

Default Sorry Baron....

...but I couldn't find a beer bottle....lol ...but I did find a....

... ketchup bottle

... electric fillet knife

... kids sand shovel

... and of course a dummy

he seems to be holding just fine when we go through this exercise but doesn't seem to connect the dots when retrieving.....of course sometimes he holds it when he returns but it's just a coincidence...perhaps after a few more nights of it he'll start to put it together....

any ideas anyone?...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Don't know the answer but that is just too **** cute!!
    The only thing worse than a Subaru is the as*hole who drives it.

What the heck...**** is a bad word???? Ok, I will try again....that is just too dang cute
    The only thing worse than a Subaru is the as*hole who drives it.

That's good.....I like your imagination.
    With that ketchup bottle I certainly hope he is soft mouthed. LOL
    What is it with you and power cords? and you took the blades out.
    Good work.

Repetition. Repetition. Repetition. Dag gone it I keep repeating myself.
    You get the idea. It will come.
    Looks like he understands "hold". He needs to be challenged more...have him start moving about while holding.

Quote Originally Posted by Wetland Retrievers View Post
    He needs to be challenged more...have him start moving about while holding.
    with the help of my trusty power cord, I started that last night....he is certainly quite reserved when he is walking though....walks really slow, like he's unsure of what's going on....

perhaps with that repetition thing you mentioned he'll come around....

how long should he be holding things? 10 seconds? 30 seconds? more? should I change it up a lot?..

I'm sure he'll hold it for a while but a softy like me starts to feel bad after 20 seconds or so...
    pull my finger....

He has to learn to "walk and chew bubble gum while counting from 10 backwards" all at the same time. He will be slow at first.
    Using the lead definitely helps.
    If he is doing 20 seconds that's great. Gradually increase the time. Start walking around him, twirl a bumper to distract him. Leave the room and come back. Sit means sit....hold means hold. As he makes mistakes(and he will) make sure your correction is "Fair" to him. Teach without bulldozing.

WR: what are your thoughts on retrieving during this stage of training? I've seen several videos that state all retrieving stops during this portion of training in order to prevent taking steps back in the progression that the pup is making.

I like the pictures of the dog and all the different items...haha

Quote Originally Posted by Richie View Post
    WR: what are your thoughts on retrieving during this stage of training? I've seen several videos that state all retrieving stops during this portion of training in order to prevent taking steps back in the progression that the pup is making.
    I do follow along those same guide lines. I typically will finish FF before going back to field training.
    Note I did say typically. On the rare occasion.. Some really "soft" dogs I have addressed differently. Mainly because they couldn't handle the entire FF program at one time.

good deal. Appreciate your input

Quote Originally Posted by Richie View Post

I like the pictures of the dog and all the different items...haha

I won't let them see any marks while in FF. That's a very important part of training so I make sure the dog is 100% focused on FF work. Are you forcing on a table? Are you using ear pinch, toe loop, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    Are you forcing on a table? Are you using ear pinch, toe loop, etc.?
    I am quite the rookie so you'll catch me making all kinds of mistakes I'm sure...

All I am doing now is 'hold'...I do say 'fetch' but I'm not 'forcing' anything....I sit him on the floor, hold something right in front of his mouth and say 'fetch'....he opens his mouth and I set the item inside, check his lips and tell him 'hold'...he just sits there and holds it until I tell him to drop it in my hand...

....after a few nights of doing that he heels well, comes, stays etc. while holding....I'm pretty soft with Murdock as he's pretty sensitive and frankly I'd rather not hurt the guy.......he's my buddy and we're just having fun with the training...luckily for me he's a lot smarter than I am so we'll get where we want to go, regardless of how poor I am as a trainer...lol...

if you have some suggestions, let 'em rip....I'm always eager to learn
    pull my finger....

You can use the ear pinch w/o getting too tough on him, you can just use enough pressure as necessary, and he'll let you know. I like to put a flat collar on the dog and put my hand under the collar while grabbing the ear between my thumbnail and forefinger. This way, you can 'direct' his head where you want it to go once you start having him pick it up off the floor/table. I'd honestly suggest finding a plan to FF him, you'll benefit more than you know from this one part of training. Also, there is literally all sorts of material on it because of the importance of the training, but also because people do it a lot of different ways. Are you in Anchorage?

Before force fetch, I'm marking my dogs. I also mark them during force fetch. I look at it as giving them something fun to do during what could be a stressful time.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    Before force fetch, I'm marking my dogs. I also mark them during force fetch. I look at it as giving them something fun to do during what could be a stressful time.
    Howard,

Do you mean marking before a force fetch session?

Would you be breaking up a force fetch session with marking?

Kind of like a fun bumper is used to relieve some stress and give something back to the dog.

My dog is now a hard headed teenager and my lack of consistancy has proven to be a very difficult situation for her and I.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    Howard,

Do you mean marking before a force fetch session?

Would you be breaking up a force fetch session with marking?

Kind of like a fun bumper is used to relieve some stress and give something back to the dog.

My dog is now a hard headed teenager and my lack of consistancy has proven to be a very difficult situation for her and I.
    No I don't have a marking session just before a force fetch session. My marking is done outside in a park, snowdump, parking lot, or one of the hayfields in the valley. Other than when they're real little, ball in the hall stage and shortly afterward, I don't mark them around home. I do some hand thrown multiple marking drills in the yard but that's about it. Before force fetch I'm doing real 50-250 yard marks in a field. I continue this all through force fetch. Youngsters don't have much of a delivery and most of them haven't been delivering real well up to this point. But as long as they've been bringing them close to me I'll make a big deal out of it and pat them up.

Force fetch is done in the house. Usually, a 5 minute session in the morning and a 5 minute session in the evening. So marking and force fetching are quite separate. After about 2 weeks of force fetch at home you can enforce the delivery out in the field and they understand it. I do not break up a forcing session with marking or happy bumpers. I might give them a few handthrown marks when we're done with a session but I'm not big on that. I like for them to think about their session not a happy bumper.

I do very very few fun bumpers during a retriever's life. I do them with the little guys (3 months or so) to get them going on land and the first week or two when I'm introducing them to water, but that's about it.