Thread: Need your recommendations for lake near Fairbanks

Default Need your recommendations for lakes near Fairbanks

I checked out Birch Lake last weekend (with little success), but now I'm jonsing for more. Any suggestions for lakes near Fairbanks? I'm willing to drive about 175 miles round trip. Thanks in advance.

-Justin

Default Military?

If so go to Polaris Lake on Eielson and use a weighted hook with the little salad shrimp. We always caught a bunch and a nice buzz from the survival kit (5th of makers mark). Good luck if you're non mil pm me and I'm sure I can get you on some good spots up that way I was up there for 6 years and can't waite to get back. Currently I'm in Los Anchorage.

Jon

Default Birch

We have fished Birch several times this year including today 02/20/2010. It has been on and off as far as fishing goes. Today was pretty fair. Two of us caught about a dozen char and kept 8. We only caught one rainbow about 12 or 13 inches today. Some of the char were pretty decent fish. Our biggest was 16.5 inches and most were 13 to 14 inches. I lost two heavy fish and saw a real big char chasing around with a smaller one that I was reeling up. I saw the big one down in the hole flashing around and I thought that was the one I had on and all of a sudden the smaller one came sliding out of the hole onto the ice. I quickly unhooked it and dropped my jig back down for the big one and felt one bump but I missed him. I don't know how big the char get in Birch but that fish was probably 8-10 pounds and pushing 24 inches.

All of these fish were typical for char as they were very close to the bottom where they feed on snails etc. I have a new Vexilar flasher and it was fun seeing the fish respond to my jig. I had Many fish examine my offering that refused to bite. We tried many types of lures but the one that seemed to do the best was a small silver Kastmaster with an orange stripe on the body. I usually tipped it with a single Ball Of Fire salmon egg.

Two other trips down there recently weren't as productive but my friend was down there by himself on Super Bowl Sunday and he did very well indeed.

We tried various depths but have settled on about 12-15 feet of water under the ice. My flasher likes that too as the transducer cone opens up much better in that depth of water rather than 3 or 4 feet of water under the ice. It tends to show the fish much better that way. I can plainly see my jig no matter how small it is and the unit will even show tiny fish of 3 inches on the bottom of 15 feet of water.

JJ.....

Guess it depends on what you're trying to catch...

Kinda dumb to ask, but are you wanting to spend all day trying to catch one big fish that may never bite, or constant action by smaller fish, or loads of fun with sardines? Kids, adults, access means (ie snowmachines or not).

quartz, nice bows, nice char, definatly not fast action

birch, I dont know

harding, potential big fish, specialty gear, and long periods of waiting with no bites

chena lakes, lots of small fish, lots of fun for kids

polaris the couple time I've fished it, lots of fun, small fish.

Eielson ponds, can be good for pike...well were not so long ago anyways, nothing huge, but good snakes for pickeling.

George, off and on for us, some nice fish, and some scratch days...still a fun trip if you can get acrossed the river.

For starters chena lakes can be fun on some light line and super light rods. I'd rather chase one big fish all day long and never get hit though, just my tastes. I'm hoping to try some nite fishing for burbot, somewhere sometime someday lol. And maybe try and find some decent pike action...my old spots have dried up. A fella I work with (80 yr old guy who cant get out anymore), loves to eat pickled pike, you should see his eyes glow when I show up with a couple!

I know you'll get a generic answer in the fairbanks office *which is a shame btw*, but I'd go in there and ask some information to the tune of...whats been stocked the last few years in particular. Whats maybe been overlooked....if you have the means, whats accessable with a little more work then the average guy puts out..etc etc. Dont be flustered with the answer you'll get. They are NOT very helpful in our office unfortunatly! You MAY if you ask the right question, get an answer that'll be an ace in your pocket. Dont spend to much time at the front desk, find the biologists and techs doing the leg work and you'll get what you're looking for!

Default Lake info

Here is a link to an often overlooked source of information. The fish and game section of the states web site has alot of info. There is up to date info on the stocking history of every stocked lake in the state. Date stocked, avg. size of stocked fish, species, etc.
    I started this link with the Fairbanks area lakes for you.
    http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/State...ng.searchByLoc
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

Default oops

Think I messed up. click on the link and then click smolt and stocking info and you will get what you want.
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

Thanks for the input, fellas. My buddy and I are trying to decide where to go next Friday. We did pretty well on Quartz on 2/19 and not so great on Birch 2/13. I'd really like to catch some char so it sounds like Birch might be the best option. I wouldn't mind fishing Harding, but I do not have a power auger or electronics which would make fishing deep water difficult.

Are the DNR shacks on Birch and Quartz pretty safe bets as far spots are concerned? If I decide to fish Birch again, which DNR shack should I rent? I rented D-19 last time.
    Last edited by jjkoestler; 02-21-2010 at 22:17. Reason: Additional info

If you are going to be going pretty often spring for a portable shanty of your own. I bought the Eskimo pop up shanty and I love it. It will assemble by yourself in about 1 minute. I use a mister heater mister cooker propane heater in it and I'm good to go in some pretty darn cold weather. I think they cost $165 at Sportsmans Warehouse now.