Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 43

Thread: Internet and Bushdwellers

  1. #1
    Member alaskabushrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    I presently live and work close to Lake Clark
    Posts
    150

    Default Internet and Bushdwellers

    I have been giving this a lot of thought. Prior to coming to this lodge, I have always lived without TV [except for VHS movies], computers and internet. I never really had a computer and internet until 6 years ago. This was something knew to me and I went crazy learning how to use it. I was on there constantly.

    But, it has been becoming a real pain in the *****. I really hate it, especially when it does things that I can't figure out. Not to mention the few problems I had using it to shop. Having Satallite internet and TV and having electricity is a real pain.

    I really miss just living with the basic necessities. So, I have decided that, in June when I go out to my property up North, I am doing away with the majority of modern convienences. I will go back to the lifestyle that I like and have no problems. Although I will have a freezer and a small generator to fire it up when needed.

    I am wondering how others who live a remote lifestyle feel about having Internet and/or TV. How do you feel about these things?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    335

    Default I don't live remote right now but

    a few years ago we lived on the desert, quite a ways from town.
    We have solar panels and i used a little engine driving a automotive alternator ,to charge the batteries during the winter when the sun was too low to charge with the panels.
    I wished I had a wind mill, and i'm working on that.
    having the innernet is not essential , it's handy.
    I have lots of building projects going all the time that require electricity,( welding and such )
    I had friends in town that would record movies and down load information for my computer, on disk.
    As time went by we got a satelite dish , it was especiallly nice in the dead of winter. A couple of PC games go a long way if their any good to start with.
    But seriously it's true electronics can waste a lot of time, but if you've got the dicipline , having to govern your power concumption should keep things in check.Like some one said , it's better to have it and not need it , than to need it and not have it.

  3. #3

    Default

    i lived for years without cable tv for the hours i worked ..i was at work or sleeping when most of the socalled prime time tv was on ..bought a lot of the tv shows on dvd to catch up here and there along with movies to watch as they came out on dvd ..i did keep a cable internet when it came out and i like it a lot for it was allways be able to get on line at anytime i want to buy something i wanted liked books or dvd movies and tv sets from a online dealer .. plus belong to a few website and i like seeing the post here and there about diff things i like to do ..

  4. #4
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    i lived a long time with out power or tv or internet. but for me with the kids and school now half their home work lessons are on line.. I used starband for several years on genpower as Mark does now, and found it good to keep in touch. heck i met my current missus on line from and off the grid place.

    I enjoy both sides of it now.. i head down to my small place in clear. i have no power there either and the genny only comes on after dark, and don't miss any of it .
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  5. #5

    Default

    We started out with no phone and I thinks we re headed back to no phone. MTA's going totally digital and it don't make it back here. I'm like Vince we home school and also need internet to make a living. Our power is a small solar wind combo with a gas generator back up. We haven't had a TV for 20 years there not worth much anyway. I lived a several years with out power when I was single sometimes I wish we could go back to a simple life with nothing any more modern that a chainsaw.

    If you get internet don't get starband their customer service has gone to cr_p. They used to be good but no more.
    Chuck

  6. #6
    Member alaskabushrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    I presently live and work close to Lake Clark
    Posts
    150

    Default Ok

    At the lodge where I am caretaking this winter, has 24hr. electricity, Starband and satallite TV. At first it was nice. Last couple of years, I have been unplugging the fridge so I wouldn't hear it. I use the woodstove because I hate listening to the monitors and sometimes getting the smell from them when the wind picks up. I umplug anything that has lights. At night I use my oil lamps and candles. I can understand the use of computers with kids.

    Yes, it sure is nice to find things online, order it and have it mailed to you. But, personally, I would rather take a trip to town and get what I need. I like the idea of cutting a tree to build something. It's just the simplicity of life that I enjoy. There is a village 4 miles down the lake from me. We get mail 3 times a week, Mon. Wed and Fri. I always wait until Fri. to get mail. I also walk rather than use a machine to go in.

    I also miss getting msgs. from people through the radio. I still listen to Caribou Clatter out of Glenallen. But, even they don't send many msgs. anymore because of internet. I feel we are losing that personal friendship.

  7. #7

    Default

    Does Glennallen still have Lum & Abner? I used to listen to both of them when I was living on the Denali Hiway.
    Chuck

  8. #8
    Member alaskabushrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    I presently live and work close to Lake Clark
    Posts
    150

    Default I don't think so

    Quote Originally Posted by hiline View Post
    Does Glennallen still have Lum & Abner? I used to listen to both of them when I was living on the Denali Hiway.
    It has been a long time since I've heard any of the old programs. Things have changed quite considerably from the old days. That is what I missed. Back when we used to travel by dogsled or old elans to visit another cabindweller. Stay a couple of days in an oll guest cabin or tent cabin. Build a fire outside and sit around it having a drink and BSing about this and that. Never politics or religion.

  9. #9
    Member Music Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    ANC
    Posts
    1,243

    Default

    I have 277gb of old radio programs that I have collected through the years on my computer. With the advent of the little 10.2 in laptops that will run for 8 hours on a charge it would be easy to have quite a collection of your favorite programs. As a example, I have over 1700 Lum & Abner episodes. For anyone out in the Alaska bush that wants to start a collection for those long December nights PM me and we can work out something.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

  10. #10

    Thumbs up

    Using a thermal-electric power supply/charger on the side of the woodstove, you can easily maintain a charge on a laptop. Leave the screensaver off and it will light up the cabin all night from the monitor, no need for candles or lamps and safer too. By getting the double dish receivers the State of Alaska puts on your cabin, you can get satelite everything for free (they actually want the bushdwellers to have this). No need for a telephone in the cabin. Use Skype on the laptop to talk all over the world for free. The fast connection the state provides, will not leave you talking to yourself or waiting for the pause to take effect. No need to clutter up your hard drive with trivia. It is all available over the internet on the SLED Program (Data Base for Alaskan's), again supplied free gratis from the State, available even to the city dwellers. It is the best thing since sliced bread.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  11. #11
    Member alaskabushrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    I presently live and work close to Lake Clark
    Posts
    150

    Default What a day

    This morning, it was 36 degrees and cloudy. I sat at the kitchen table having coffee looking out at the mountains. It just didn't seem right so, I poured all the coffee from the pot into my thermos, got dressed, grabbed a folding chair and me and my buddy KAYAK walked out to the middle of the lake and sat there having coffee and taking in all that Nature has to offer. So quiet, I watched a Bald Eagle soaring on the wind currents. It was so peaceful. Bush living is great.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Using a thermal-electric power supply/charger on the side of the woodstove, you can easily maintain a charge on a laptop. Leave the screensaver off and it will light up the cabin all night from the monitor, no need for candles or lamps and safer too. By getting the double dish receivers the State of Alaska puts on your cabin, you can get satelite everything for free (they actually want the bushdwellers to have this). No need for a telephone in the cabin. Use Skype on the laptop to talk all over the world for free. The fast connection the state provides, will not leave you talking to yourself or waiting for the pause to take effect. No need to clutter up your hard drive with trivia. It is all available over the internet on the SLED Program (Data Base for Alaskan's), again supplied free gratis from the State, available even to the city dwellers. It is the best thing since sliced bread.

    -1-tell more about the unit that you put on the woodstove to power the laptop battie unit and where i can get one
    -2-tell me about the double dish sat that the alaska does for the bush dwellers

  13. #13

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by henry2 View Post
    -1-tell more about the unit that you put on the woodstove to power the laptop battie unit and where i can get one
    -2-tell me about the double dish sat that the alaska does for the bush dwellers
    henry,
    PM sent to you.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Interior Alaska
    Posts
    110

    Default Akres/Henry: I'd love to eavesdrop on that PM.......

    ........I looked everywhere online for the "thermal-electric power supply/charger on the side of the woodstove" but came up mostly empty-handed. If I am right, I guess you gotta build one yourself. Thanks for the other info about the sat. dishes.
    “There's a humorous side to every situation. The challenge is to find it.”
    George Carlin

  15. #15
    Member alaskabushrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    I presently live and work close to Lake Clark
    Posts
    150

    Default Hey! What's going on?

    Are you people trying to take over my thread?

  16. #16

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by billhicksmostfunny View Post
    ........I looked everywhere online for the "thermal-electric power supply/charger on the side of the woodstove" but came up mostly empty-handed. If I am right, I guess you gotta build one yourself. Thanks for the other info about the sat. dishes.
    Check your PM's.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  17. #17

    Default

    I would appreciate the info on the Sat-Dish and the wood stove power supply as well.

  18. #18
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alaskabushrat View Post
    Are you people trying to take over my thread?

    once you go off line... you'll never nitce anyway sides... if you go with out how you gonna order that top shelf beef?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  19. #19

    Unhappy

    Quote Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
    I would appreciate the info on the Sat-Dish and the wood stove power supply as well.
    I tried but I can't PM you. I think you have to be on the forum for awhile before the owner will let you play the whole game. Sorry.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  20. #20
    Member sledhands's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    244

    Default thermo electric

    Hey RES pm me also I want some

    Thans for the thread AKbushrat
    Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.
    - General George S. Patton

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •