Thread: helmet help

Question helmet help

Gents (and the occasional lady),

I am a part time rider whos biggest problem has been finding a helmet that works well with glasses. Post Christmas I have some cash to fix the situation. Which helmet would you recommend?

Thanks,
    Dave

Default Helmet issues

I too suffer from helmet issues. So far the best I have found is a open face, visored, chin guard style helmet with a goos pair of goggles. Recently, I found a pair of goggles with a fan in the keep them fog free. Sort of like defroster. The company I bought them from also does custom prescription lens applications for sun glasses and goggles. www.heavyglare.com

Also, there are some full face helmets out there with defrosters on them that plug into the electrical system on your machine. I have not tried these.

I have not received the new gogles yet. Hopefully next week. They were made by Smith, I think that Uvex also makes a similar pair.

Default Glasses......

My recommendation is a motocross style helmet with a good pair of goggles and quick straps Most decent goggles will fit over glasses these days (since the horn rims and big frames are out of style for a while...). I have tried all combos and have found this to work the best for fog fighting.

The electric shields are nice if all you do is trail ride, never get in the powder, and don't fall off your machine (kind of like lower 48 riding on groomed trails). Once they get wet, they fog just like other full face shields. My biggest problem was the sudden and violent separations from my machine. The break away cords work well if you simply fall directly away from where the cord is secured, but if you eject over the front or make a trip close by the handle bars on the way out you can kiss the cord goodbye.

Another advantage of the motocross style is the weight. I was a full face man for several years until I got tired of fighting the fog and moisture problems. I got a Thor motocross style and couldn't believe how much lighter it was! A pound or two throughout a day of riding is an amazing difference.

These are similar to what I am wearing - Thor helmets
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Goggles

If your having problems with your glasses fogging up then take a look at www.pro-vue.com I do not wear glasses but have ridden with a guy who uses these and says they are the ticket. He wears them with either a open face or motocross style helmet, ran the Iron Dog with them twice.
    Rick
    Last edited by Rick B; 12-31-2006 at 01:58.

Default Motocross

I also ride with a motocross helmet and OTG (over the Glass's) goggles by Scott. The most important thing to remember for me was to take the goggles off when I stopped or they would fog up. I tried the full face helmet but it was way to hot and I felt like it limited my vision. This year I went in and got a pair of contacts to wear while I am riding ($50). Its like a whole new world!!!!

Many manufacturers now make full-face helmets with flip-up fronts. My wife uses one that also has a breath deflector built into it. She has zero fogging problems or cold face problems. It took us 20 years to find a helmet that works for her. This one works very, very well. It's a Polaris helmet from Power Sports, by the way. Ski Doo makes a good one, too.

take a look at the KBC VR-X Roughrider Snow.

Thats the one I settled on IMO its the best of both worlds. It is both a full face or a motocross style.

In the motcross style I use the quick strap goggles, but if I want to go back to full face I take off the goggles, and the visor then snap on the shield.

Here is a link, but if I remember right I got mine quite a bit cheaper than these.

http://www.helmetdirect.com/store/detail.aspx?ID=334

Open face Shoei for me with goggles and a roost guard. I've had several motocross helmets including some very expensive Kevlar helmets. They are the worst thing imaginable in cold weather. I'll never wear one again. You other guys must use a lot of duct tape on your faces when it gets cold!

The thing my wife has is called a "modular" helmet. I'd post a link but none I found were worth looking at. Go try a couple of these things on if you have fogging problems. They're pretty incredible. She can have a drink without removing her helmet, too.
    Last edited by Mr. Pid; 12-31-2006 at 19:30.

Default modular all the way

I echo Mr pid,
    The modular helmets give a lot of options for temperature ranges.
    When its above zero, leave out the nose cup and crack your visor, when it gets realy cold use the nose cup to vent your breath out side and close the visor. And yes its great to hinge up the whole front of the helmet and take a drink or talk to someone. I went with the ski doo modulars.

Regards,

Jim

http://www.ski-doo.com/en-US/Snowmob...currentIndex=0

Default Thanks!

I appreciate all the imputs! Now at least I have a place to start.

Happy new year all!

Dave ,

Go check out alaska power sports in Anchorage , I picked up my new snowmachine the other day and the helmets are on sale ,My wife got the flip up helmet Because see wears glasses and they work great for her.
    Reg. $145.00 they have them marked down for $49 bucks. All the helmets are marked down

Default Modular helmets

The modulars work for my family, we all have the. I bought the ski-doo modular cause they have worked for me since about 99 I think is when i got the fist one. My wife loves it, and my daughter really likes it cause it works with her glasses. AKMDS had a bunch on sale last time I was in. check it out. They are also all over EBAY. But BECAREFUL, SIZING is very different. Make sure your try them on first, I jumped 2 sizes when I went to the modular. (ok maybe the wife gave me a few too many compliments!!)
    Good luck. REmember, don't go cheap, it's protecting you head!!!!