Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trail closures from snow melt???

Default trail closures from snow melt???

howdy folks,

I am curious if state folks close down trails after big melts like we are having right now??

I am going out to redshirt this fri and sat and am concerned they may close the access trails if we keep melting like this. the forecast is for lots more warm temps....

I was out at finger lake yesterday and was shocked at the amount of snow that had melted!!!

just trying to get a feel for how often, how easy or how frequent they open and close trails...

Greg

Wink

I wouldn't wait. I would get out there NOW. But watch out for overflow, all the swamp ditches and where they bleed out onto the lakes is getting deep in places.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Exclamation Could Be

Knowing Ira at Nancy Lake SRA it could be at anytime. But they will keep the Red Shirt East Trail open if they close the rest or you can get there by using the Big Swamp Trail out of Willow and hit Steve's Trail to the bottom of Red Shirt.
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!

Default hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post
    Knowing Ira at Nancy Lake SRA it could be at anytime. But they will keep the Red Shirt East Trail open if they close the rest or you can get there by using the Big Swamp Trail out of Willow and hit Steve's Trail to the bottom of Red Shirt.

hmm, ok.... I see the reports that you put out (thank you very much BTW) is there another source to check current info day to day??

I'm also VERY new to snowmachininig down here so I dont know what trails your referring too with east swamp and willow/steves... I have been pouring over maps and info on the various trails... I have been looking at the Nancy lake SRA, the snowmachine club and DNR trails maps with the grooming system... are there any other good map/info resources thats out there??

thanks a bunch guys for helping this newbie...

greg

dang its looking like snowmachining in the matsu valley is wrappin up early this year! head down south but beware of the moutains..
    Semper Fi!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by AkGreg View Post
    are there any other good map/info resources thats out there??
    You can go to waco-ak.org and then onto their "trails" section. The PDF format has maps for you to up/download or print, as you wish. Though somewhat dated, they are there. As well as links to the Trapper Lake and Big Lake Trails Map Systems.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Thumbs up Maps!

Akers you are on it. That saved a bunch of typing.
    The East Red Shirt Trail is the dotted line one on the Nancy Lake winter trail map.
    You can grab a map at TownSite Grocery or Hatcher Pass Polaris of Willow area trails!
    Also check out the post Willow Trail Comm. Needs Your Help Again! and send in a couple of e-mail to help us out.
    The more the better!!!
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe

Default Red Shirt Access

according to the map posted here at DNR website access on to Red Shirt Lake from the south end by way of Cow Lake does NOT involve crossing on the Nancy Lake State Park lands.

You can't impact the vegetation in a State Park cause you are not in a State Park. The lake itself is part of the Park, the uplands are not. In the southeast corner the lands that the trail from Cow Lake crosses are NOT part of Nancy Lake State Park. DNR can't close it. Look at the map and make your own judgment. Print the map and have it with you.

All of the above it rendered mute if you can access the cabin you've rented from East Red Shirt Lake trail.

If you insist and can't find any maps with Steve's Trail plotted PM me and I will hook you up. However as I suggested to you when you first requested info about access to RSL, Steve's Trail, IMO will not suit your needs. It kinda hard to find, it is on the steep side, there could be an open creek at mid point in the traverse and with the thin snow cover we have that steep hill may be down right sporting if it's icy. As if that ain't enuf to deter you, you will most likely encounter overflow at that end of Red Shirt.

My wife is never comfortable traversing RSL, because, of all the lakes in NLSP, Red Shirt is the one that has the most overflow. I don't know why...I don't care....it just is.
    Natural Selection begins with you!

RMK

Default Red Shirt Cabins

Greg,

As you know, I already sent a PM with a map via the Nancy Lake Rec area. It's an easy ride, and it's all flat. (except some bumpy trail) I found the Cow Lake route longer and not as easy to find the right trail. There were several major forks in the road so to speak.

If you're going to pull a sled behind your machine, you'll appreciate the flat terrain. I took quite a bit of gear for two nights since I had an auger and fish gear to boot.

A few years back, I had a cabin reservation on James Lake, and the DNR shut down the area. They refunded my cabin fee because they shut the thing down. I think warm weather and overflow was the issue.

There is a ranger station right there near the parking lot. If it's shut down, it will be well marked. If they close it after you're in there. You're stuck until spring. (just kidding)

Don't forget that parking permit issue. I think 8 times per year is the break even point on a window sticker. They are good for all the state rec areas.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Thanks

Thanks everybody for the terrific information... now to read, read read and digest!!

Greg

We Post a recreation update for Nancy Lake SRA on a regular basis. it is odccasionally posted here, but it is always sent out to a large email list and posted on the DNR website listed above... http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/asp/nancysnowreport.pdf

We have had a marginal snow year for the trails we have and the state is not always forthcoming with money for trail improvements, so we were lucky to get to do the work on the East Red Shirt Lake Trail last summer to assure a ready access to Red Shirt in marginal conditions.

While we have swapped between open and closed several times this season, we never close until after a weekend period, so as not to hamper anyone's recreational plans. It is currently raining in Willow, so please try not to tear up the trails... for a general opening, we need 1.5 inches of Snow Water Equivalent (SWE). ie. take a sample of snow, melt it down and measure... for a limited opeing on the East Red Shirt Lake Trail and Lynx Lake Rd. we need 1.0" SWE. we are still above the 1.5" mark.

Our conditions report is at http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=73585

Cheers!

Exclamation hey

AKGreg,

I have a Red Shirt lake cabin reservation for NEXT weekend, so I am REALLY questioning whehter or not the NLSRA will be open to snowmachines by then!

All I can do is check the websites and wait and see, oh, and try and figure out where the "East Red Shirt Lake Trail" is because I cannot seem to find it on any maps!

Let me know how your trip into RSL was this weekend!

cheers

Thumbs up The East Trail

The East Redshirt Trail is on the Nancy Lake Winter Rec. Map and is easy to find and is all over land to Redshirt. It's about 2 miles from the winter parking area and if they close the general area there will be trail blocking at that point on the road. Take a left and cruse down to Redshirt.
    It's a no brainer!!!!
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe

Default just got back

hey ya'll,

just got back from redshirt. the trail was bumpy was seemed to be in good shape snow wise...

the lake has a good bit of overflow but its managable. the trails were VERY easy to find and follow. thank you to trailboss and RMK in particular for your help...

ran into a couple of guys who didnt know the area and came into redshirt from the ridge on the east side of the lake.. they had a pretty hairy ride along the ridge to get down onto the lake but we pointed them in the direction of the trail back to the parking lot.

what fun!!

thank again everyone for helping me get on the right track!

Greg

Had a cabin on Red Shirt booked for March 9&10th, not sure there will still be enough snow around for us then so I think we are going to try to figure out different plans. Anyone know someone that wants to purchase a "public use cabin" credit (they don't do refunds unfortunatly). I'll give you a good price (too bad we are leaving AK or I would just save it for the summer as we have loved that area for some canoeing)

was in the 40's in petersville saturday! trails were brutal! get off the trail though and had 3+ feet of wet heavy snow.. got stuck a few times, but was still fun.. my kidneys still hurt from that trail!
    Semper Fi!

Default Archangel closed

Just heard that they closed Archangel Road up in Hatcher's due to snow melt. This is 3rd hand, so if you are/were looking to head that way you should check for yourself to make sure.

Glad to see you are able to get out there Greg, especially after your first "attempt".

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Just heard that they closed Archangel Road up in Hatcher's due to snow melt. This is 3rd hand, so if you are/were looking to head that way you should check for yourself to make sure.

Glad to see you are able to get out there Greg, especially after your first "attempt".

HAHAHA aint that the truth!! we need to join forces sometime and get out there! lucked into another screaming deal and so I'm paired up now on the machines.... can you say predator hunting??? hehehe

Exclamation Hatcher Pass closure..

It closed on the 19th, here's a link to check for future use.

http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/asp/hpsnowreport.pdf

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast