Thread: New to Ak hunting

Default New to Ak hunting

I am fairly new to Ak., been living here for 18 months 12 of which I was deployed to Afghanistan. I am back now and would like to start out small game hunting, then later in the spring maybe do a Black bear hunt and progress from there.
    I guess what I am asking is if anyone would have room in their adventures to show a guy brought up hunting in Missouri what small game in Ak. is about.
    I am not new to hunting by any means and am quiet familiar with firearms safety and handling at home, during travel and in the field as well as hunting bunnies, squirrels, dove, quail, turkey and Deer and many other species back home. Just don't want to mess up or do anything against the rules and laws of Alaska and learn better from hands on than by the books and manuals (not that I won't use them) I just know if I do it hands on I will understand better. Hopefully this pans out.
    Thanks for your time
    Richard Dunlap

Might want to let folks know where you are. AK is a big state.
    I'm going to ctrl-alt-delete you so hard your mama's computer is going to reboot.

Default oh shoot.. Sorry everyone

Thanks byrd_hntr I currently reside on Fort Richardson.

Default Hunting here

Sniper,
    I have been here in AK for 8 years now. The first 6 were up in Fairbanks I have only hunted small game here in ANC. I have a few spots for bunnies and spruce hens, but I'm always looking for someone to hunt with down here. I usually walk in if it's less than 10 miles or snow shoe, it's usually snow shoe. If you're intrested pm me I'm going yote and fox calling this weekend. Work allowing of course.

Jon

Hey, I'm on Elmendorf and have been up here about as long as you. Fortunately I've been here the whole time. The first rule up here is people don't share good spots. If you do, word gets out and EVERYONE will be there shooting the place up.

There are places close to Ft Rich (30mins) to hunt but I personally don't like them. They are highly pressured which means the animals spook easily. Now, I like shotgunning, but I don't like eating rabbits taken with a scatter gun. What I do is get farther away.

Now, if your willing to drive 100ish miles, and follow my directions. I GUARANTEE you will find low pressure, high density small game hunting. Pick one of the two highways that go north/northeast. (there is action south but I'm not as familiar).

1)Get in your car or truck with some snowshoes and a .22/bow/whatever. 2)Drive the speed limit and watch the snow on the side of the road.
    3)At some point you will start seeing a LOT of tracks.
    4)Find a turnout to park at.
    5)Don't stop if you see 5 sets of tracks. Stop when you see HUNDREDS.
    6)Load your gun, strap on the shoes, and start walking
    7)If you put in the time, you will find rabbits, ptarmigan, and spruce grouse

I promise you, it will work. I found two good spots all by myself, just got in the truck and drove, walked, drove, walked, and drove some more. My spots have little pressure and I only bowhunt them now. It keeps me in rabbit stir fry and gets me the exercise I need during the winter.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Default To all who have replied or IM'd

Hello again and thank you for the offers and invites. The family had a stroke of bad luck last night regarding the Mife/Mom going to the hospital with chest pains. They ruled out the heart and think it may be the pancrease(sp?). She is currently in the ICU and is expected to return home today. I will more than likely not be up for anything this weekend as offered by a few members, but if this changes I will let those know.
    Thanks again and maybe we can get together the following weekend unless my wife is feeling okay and is fine with me going out for a few hours.
    Sincerely, Rich Dunlap

Default Good luck

Hope Bernie gets better we're all praying for you guys. we'll do something up another time.
    the kents

Default Very Fun hunt outting

I had a great time hunting for bunnies in a undisclosed location with rimfire Matt. I just wish I could have been a little better shot with my little .22. I ended up getting one and Matt 3, we had seen plenty of more bunnies but with the snow on the ground it was a pain getting to them after a kill. As much fun as a stiff workout in the gym (LOL).
    Matt thank you once again for taking me on a great small game hunt. By the way I replced the scope on that lillte .22 and sighted it in at 25 yards and I am rocking the bullseye. can't wait to get back into the bunnies.

Rick