Thread: Grebe lake on swanson river rd

Question Grebe lake on swanson river rd

Has anyone ever fished on grebe lake off of swanson river road I was thinking of doing the 3 mile hike into it but was hoping for some pointers or reports about it the neighboring lake (if you have been to this one you know what I mean) has some really nice fish in it and was wondering if Grebe was the same, better, or not worth the hike.
    Thanks

Default If you mean...

... the lake at the end of the trail leading from the first pull-off on SRR, that would be quite a hike! Camp Island Lake might be closer.

Most of the rainbows in the whole Swanson River system have a huge parasite problem right now. Same with the Moose system. Can't say about the char.

Such a shame that they won't allow machines into those lakes. Yeah, like it's really wilderness, with old seismic trails criss-crossing it and aircraft flying over it. I think it is mostly about control, as you can't take a machine off the trails anyway without serious deadfall stopping you.

Default Thats the one

I have fished camp island and had good luck not fast and furious but really nice fish I was just wondering if Grebe was any better its a long hike and thats why I have not ventured that road yet but may someday get a wild hair and try it. Looking at the map I think I can come up the moose and get to within about a 1/2 mile from Grebe with a snomachine before you get to the canoe boundary but I would have to break trail from there. It would be nice to be able to use a sled to get there though.
    Its really frusterating when you are out there fishing and cant even use a gas auger then fish and game flies their cub in to check licenses. If I have to walk my butt in there they should have to also

Default Moose River...

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    I have fished camp island and had good luck not fast and furious but really nice fish I was just wondering if Grebe was any better its a long hike and thats why I have not ventured that road yet but may someday get a wild hair and try it. Looking at the map I think I can come up the moose and get to within about a 1/2 mile from Grebe with a snomachine before you get to the canoe boundary but I would have to break trail from there. It would be nice to be able to use a sled to get there though.
    Its really frusterating when you are out there fishing and cant even use a gas auger then fish and game flies their cub in to check licenses. If I have to walk my butt in there they should have to also
    You may want to ask Max (alaskacanoe) about his experiences regarding the fish-n-fur fuzz and that area.

Default I wonder how a portage to Camp Island would be?

The distance is shorter to Camp Island, and I've heard the trail is better, but can't speak from personal experience. Maybe a 2 day winter trek would be the way to go.