Thread: Big lake?

Default Big lake?

Hows the fishing out on the big lake? weres the best place to be on the lake for good fishing?

Talking

I haven't had much luck this year the couple times I've gone. I know others on this forum do well out there though so I'll wait and hopefully they'll chime in. If not I'll be glad to tell you where NOT to go and what NOT to use......"grin"
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

Well I have been out of town most of this winter so I haven't gotten a lot of opertunity to fish, but I have done well off of burnt point and pretty well by the little island near the Islander. I have the most luck in around 15 feet of water but have fished and caught fish in water up to 40 feet.

Post Big Lake Report

Ice fished Big Lake for the first time this past Saturday. We started with holes on the northshore around areas we'd done well in the spring/summer. This was a bust, so we moved just northwest of Burnt Point. The portable FF pinged a few fish so we set up, but ended up being skunked. We were visited by the Wildlife Enforcement Officer and he went so far as sniffing our lures for scent (which is illegal out there). Was pretty amusing, but no doubt a necessity. Glad he's out there keeping honest folks honest. It was a great time none-the-less and a beautiful day. There was, however, a lot of snowmachiners on the lake, with some finding it necessary to buzz right past us. This was my only complaint about the day. Good luck and tight lines.

Quote Originally Posted by WingShooter View Post
    Ice fished Big Lake for the first time this past Saturday. We started with holes on the northshore around areas we'd done well in the spring/summer. This was a bust, so we moved just northwest of Burnt Point. The portable FF pinged a few fish so we set up, but ended up being skunked. We were visited by the Wildlife Enforcement Officer and he went so far as sniffing our lures for scent (which is illegal out there). Was pretty amusing, but no doubt a necessity. Glad he's out there keeping honest folks honest. It was a great time none-the-less and a beautiful day. There was, however, a lot of snowmachiners on the lake, with some finding it necessary to buzz right past us. This was my only complaint about the day. Good luck and tight lines.
    Big Lake..that was a long drive for ya...so did you do the "these are not the lures your looking for" mind trick?? lol

How thick was the ice??
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
    Big Lake..that was a long drive for ya...so did you do the "these are not the lures your looking for" mind trick?? lol

How thick was the ice??
    Yea, not crazy about the drive but I gave in to the wifes wishes of heading down to do some "big city" shopping. Of course the bonus was a little hardwater adventure on Big Lake, which I had yet to fish in the winter. It seemed the depth varied from 18-24 inches depending on where we punched through.

The Jedi powers would've been nice get him to divulge any and all knowledge of where the current bite was. Instead, he told us, "it's a big lake guys, you'll have to fish around". I was like really, it's a big lake. Hilarious.......