Thread: new riflescope

Default new riflescope

The Zeiss conquest vs the Leupold vxiii. I know there have been previous posts on this subject and i've read them but it still didn't help make up my mind in looking for a new scope. To me the zeiss seemed clearer (whiter) at higher magnification, and the Leupold tended to yellow. But the leupold was a bit smaller (1") in length and 1/2 oz less. Also liked the B&C reticle, but have yet to look at a mildot reticle from zeiss to see if it is similar. Please, would like some opinions from people who shoot these or have compared the two.

Thanks.

I was in the same spot several months ago. The zeiss is nice that's for sure. But, it was also very large on the ocular end. the focus ring etc. Just seemed too bulky. Not sure what rifle you are going to put it on but I layed my gun on the counter and had them pull out scopes and checked it out. It was just too big for my Kimber Montana. I ended up with the VX III 2.5-8x36. Seems like a perfect fit to me. Each to his own. Same with the reticle also. I was all hyped up for the B&C reticle but couldn't justify the extra 80 bucks. I read voice of reason somewhere that basically said. Keep it simple and know how your guns shoots and you can kill anything you want out to 300+ yds with a standard reticle. I could just see myself... "well, looks about 350 yds, better use the second, no third, no in between the second and third crosshair...."

I opted to save 80 bucks and go with the KISS method. Shot a ram at 400 yds and moose at 350 with the 8 power scope with a standard reticle this year. sighted in 2 inches high at 100 yds = deadon crosshairs out to 300 with my 325 depending on what I'm shooting at. If it's a moose, just get the crosshairs on hair let it fly. 100yds or 400yds. I guess if I guy is into 500yd or longers shots it's a different ball game.

my .02
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default thanks for $.02

Thanks Snyd, sounds like I am in the same boat. Just about ready to make my move on a kimber 325 wsm and looking to scope it. Started looking at the new Leupold VX-L 50mm scopes and realized way too big for what I needed. Now thinking about the 4.5-14 or 3.5-10 in 40mm Leupold or 44mm Zeiss. The more posts i read seems like lots of guys stick with a little lower power, i don't get it, especially when i'm chasing sheep. I would think set at 4.5 power you'd still be able to get quick target acquisition at close range, what do ya think?

Quote Originally Posted by akwired View Post
    Thanks Snyd, sounds like I am in the same boat. Just about ready to make my move on a kimber 325 wsm and looking to scope it. Started looking at the new Leupold VX-L 50mm scopes and realized way too big for what I needed. Now thinking about the 4.5-14 or 3.5-10 in 40mm Leupold or 44mm Zeiss. The more posts i read seems like lots of guys stick with a little lower power, i don't get it, especially when i'm chasing sheep. I would think set at 4.5 power you'd still be able to get quick target acquisition at close range, what do ya think?
    First off congrats on the new Kimber. I just got mine back from having it mag-na-ported. and I also put different rings/bases on it. AlaskaCub had told me about the Talley Lighweight bases/rings. He has them on his Kimber MT. All I can say is go with the Talley Lightweights.

Personaly I don't think 14x is necessary for a big game hunting scope. A guy can shoot any big game animal he wants out to 400+ yds with an 8x power scope. I had narrowed it down to either the 2.5-8x36 or the 3.5-10x40. I decided that I would benefit more from the 2.5x than I would from the 10x. The 36mm scope at 2.5 power has a larger exit pupil than the 40mm at 3.5 and therefore gathers more light on it lowest setting. Divide the objective diameter by the power to get the exit pupil. Plus the 36mm scope was about 75 bucks cheaper if I remember right and I just like the compactness of it. My Kimber with the scope, lightweight sling and the kimber bases and leupold rings weighed 7lbs 2 oz. Probably a little lighter now with the Talleys.

Again each to his own but, I would nix the 4.5-14 power scope and go with either one of the others. Whichever one you like the best. 44mm Zeiss seems like it would be pretty big. I think it's fairly heavy too compared to the leupolds.

I have also read good things about some of the Nikons and Bushnell elites. You can get a 3-9x40 in these.

If you're in Fairbanks and want to check out my set up pm me.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default talleys

Thanks for the input Snyd. I just checked out the Talleys on their website and looks good. Of course i'll probably check out several others before i can decide, but that's just how it works, right? Makes buying gear fun. What about your lightweight sling--any advice?

I just bought a simple nylon sling. Single strap, nothing fancy. Don't remember the brand. Light as a feather.

Depends on the money you want to spend too. I use the same scope on all my rifles and have NEVER had any complaints. Leopuld 3-9x40 vari xII in the matte finish. From the Arctic Slope to Kodiak to the mountains and swamps have not had one ioda of a problem. I own 4 of them.

GL with the new rifle.