Thread: DIY remote float for kings and rainbows

Default DIY remote float for kings and rainbows

My buddies from Texas are interested in flying out of Anchorage to ?? for a float fly fishing trip. They would like to target Kings and bows. They have been to the Kenai and want to get away from the crowds. Does anyone have any suggestions or contacts/websites for possible DIY floats? Thanks.

Default Standard Answer

Do a goggle search on Lake Creek, Tal, Chili, Mulchatna area.

Expect Crowds though even though they are off the well beaten path they are still beaten but offer what your looking for.

what about kodiak? I dont remember the river without doing a little digging but I do remember the steelhead and fairly shallow river for fly casting to kings. Seemed like a win win if you dont mind the bears .

Two main thoughts come up for me.

1. Lake Creek and Talachulitna are near Anchorage (bush flight wise). Also, on the forum store, the Duke Brothers have four dvds of float trips for kings (gear fishing). Lots of info on the rivers of course. Look in the "DVD" section of the forum store. More crowded and less remote rivers, but popular with many folks due to good fishing and easy logistics. Also, some waterfalls and rapids that demand respect so you need to be comfortable rowing a raft if choosing these options. Class III and perhaps worse. The videos would be a good start. Also, PM Brian Richardson as he is familiar with these two rivers more so than anyone I am aware of. He rents rafts and gear for DYI float trips and would be a great resource on these rivers.

2. Hit SW Alaska. The Goodnews and Kanektok are popular floats. Many, many, other rivers in SW Alaska would be suitable choices as well. You will see some folks on some of these rivers, but likely less than the rivers closer to Anchorage. These trips originate out of Dillingham or Bethel. Check out Tikchik Airventures and Papa Bear Adventures websites. If you can justify the extra costs associated with these trips, this is what I would suggest. SW Alaska has lots to offer, I am only speaking of the two rivers I know most about. I have done the Goodnews and hope to get there this July. Got the Kanektok planned out and will take at some point in the future.

The wife and I float remote rivers each year. Shoot me a PM with your email address if you want to discuss float trip particulars. Happy to share any info that may be of use to you. Bush pilot suggestions, gear, fishing, meal planning, etc... Always happy to discuss. Winter time is great for planning float trips. Lets talk.

-Dan

A few assorted pics from our recent trips...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2114408...27567944/show/

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

kodiak kings have been closed due to poor returns the last few seasons just fyi

all the rivers mentioned are good choices
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    what about kodiak? I dont remember the river without doing a little digging but I do remember the steelhead and fairly shallow river for fly casting to kings. Seemed like a win win if you dont mind the bears .

I believe you are thinking of the Karluk River. I've looked into doing it in the fall for steelies. It seems like a fairly popular and interesting river buy Monkey is correct that kings have been closed on most streams in Kodiak for the last few years.

Matt

see what I get for thinking LOL! oh well.

heck another maybe the situk...

The goodnews is another I've wanted to do for quite some time know.

What about togiak? Dunno what kind of rainbows it has...

Heck the way things are going, any king run is going to be a good thing anymore. Might be a few years before we start seeing good numbers again...hopefully I'm not to dang old to get out and fishm!

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    What about togiak? Dunno what kind of rainbows it has...
    Big bows, not as numerous as some of the other rivers.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery