Thread: new riflescope

Default new riflescope

The Zeiss conquest vs the Leupold vxiii. I know there have been previous posts on this subject and i've read them but it still didn't help make up my mind in looking for a new scope. To me the zeiss seemed clearer (whiter) at higher magnification, and the Leupold tended to yellow. But the leupold was a bit smaller (1") in length and 1/2 oz less. Also liked the B&C reticle, but have yet to look at a mildot reticle from zeiss to see if it is similar. Please, would like some opinions from people who shoot these or have compared the two.

Thanks.

A couple years ago I was in Great Northern Guns in Los Anchorage with money to spend.

So I bought a Rem 700 Titanium Mountain rifle and deceided that I needed a scope right then and there as well.

I was just about talked into buying a Zeiss when I decided to be a high maintainence customer by trying a bunch of scopes on that stock they have with the rubber double scope holder. It was during the winter and the sun was long over the horizon.

The Zeiss was pretty bright but then I tried the Leupold Euro model scope 3x9 with the 30mm tube. It was just as bright as the Zeiss. And then the final advantage was that it was more clear. I was looking at a mail box number a few blocks away. I could reas the numbers with the Leupold and I could only tell that there were numbers with the Zeiss.

I pulled two or three other guys outside to show them since the sales guy told me that what I was seeing was impossible.

Even if the Zeiss had appeared brighter, I would still have gone for the better clarity of that particular Leupold.

xx

Default Which scope ?

Either one should work for Alaskan hunting. I am listing the important attributes of a good hunting scope. It has to be reliable! After that in no particular order comes clarity, ability to transmit available light, eye relief, field of view, length, weight and warranty. No single rifle scope is the best in all these areas. So using this criteria I settled on Leupold scopes because they are good in all these areas. My favorite hunting scope is the 2.5x8 by 36 mm Leupold. I also like the 1.5x5 by 20 mm and the 1.75x6 32 mm. I also like the German # 4 and Center Post Cross Hair style of reticles. They are available from the Leupold Custom Shop. I am not a fan of big scopes for the type of hunting I do. Almost every hunter has his own ideas on what the best rifle scope is. Usually it takes him a bunch of dollars and a few years to decide.

Default different models

Thanks for the input guys. I'm not sure where the Leupold Euro model slides in at, but got to compare apples to apples. Each manufacturer seems to have its high and low ends-- can't compare a vx-1 with a conquest but thought the vx-iii and conquest were pretty much same league. good to hear input. can someone explain eye relief and why it is so important---?

Quote Originally Posted by akwired View Post
    can someone explain eye relief and why it is so important---?
    It's the distance between your eye and the scope giving you full field of vision. The more the better basically. If you have to mount the scope close to your eye to get full field of view you'll get scope bite! Leupolds have excellent eye releif as do most highend scopes these days.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default Eye Relief

Leupold scopes have alot of eye relief. This makes them very fast when they are set on low power. Eye relief on the VXIII decreases as the power increases. The Zeiss Conquest remains pretty much the same through it's power range. The further your eye is from the rifle scope the better off you are. Especially if you are in the prone position and shooting at a steep uphill angle.

Default eye relief

OK, that is what i understood eye relief to be. I thought there was something more I was missing. When comparing the scope spec charts I didn't understand why Leupold gives you a range of eye relief while Zeiss and several others state one number.

Zeiss i think has a better glas quality in there scopes,cant beat zeiss when it comes to brightness and clarity.But leupold still makes fine scopes
    Its really your choice

Thumbs up leupold

Leupold, if you ever need to repair it Oregon is much closer.
    Alaska

I have the Zeiss conquest 3.5x10x44. When at the rifle range or gun shop the Zeiss wins hands down. Where the Leupold shines is in the field. In poor to extreme conditions the Zeiss's lens will fog on the outside. I called their customer service about this and was told that Zeiss does not put any kind of "raingaurd" coating on its outer surfaces. He recomended I bring along anti fogging wipes to prevent this in the future. Several of my hunting partners have Leupolds and one just abuses his. In rainy/warm conditions, the Leupold stays fairly fog free on the outside. The Zeiss is not an all weather scope, if you want something Alaska ready, go with the Leupold VXIII or better yet the Bushnell ELITE 4200. It may be hard to swallow but that Bushnell's rainguard and clarity are awesome. Anyways, my 2 cents worth, good luck.

Default higher magnification

thanks for all the posts. Is there anyone that prefers higher magnification. The highest i've seen a response on was 3.5-10. Do you think I'd not benefit from 4.5-14? anyone use this magnification?
    Don't know why I'm not considering a bushnell for riflescope, I have an Elite for a spotter and the rainguard is superb.

Depends on what you are hunting,go for a 3x9 for an all around scope,but if your hunting sheep you might need higher magnification

On the other hand, you may like the low end magnification (2x or so) when in the thicker stuff where quicker target acquisition may be wanted/needed.

Post It all depends

Quote Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
    On the other hand, you may like the low end magnification (2x or so) when in the thicker stuff where quicker target acquisition may be wanted/needed.
    As i said before depens on what species you are hunting,for bear a low magnification scope is the way to go,for moose caribou etc a 3x9 is fine

I have the 4.5-14 and the 2-10, the crosshairs on the bigger scope are finer good for long shots not too good for quick shots in poor light. the extra weight of the bigger scope also is a consideration. if you are going to do much hunting in the brush be sure to get heavy crosshirs if you go with the bigger scope.

I prefer the smaller myself