Thread: Teaching 'Hold' ...

Default Teaching 'Hold' ...

does this count?

now that's better.....

------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

I like the first one....by that way he doesn't dull his teeth.

I can let you use a leash if you like. By that way you don't have to use an extension cord to tether him. Or are you multi tasking.....training him while charging the ecollar. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Wetland Retrievers View Post
    I can let you use a leash if you like.
    that is my leash.......its the charging cord from my cell phone...lol...that's funny you noticed that....I should probably get a real leash though....

for some reason when he's holding anything he kinda freezes up....I'll call him when he's holding and he sits there looking confused....so I put the 'leash' on him and he'd come with just the slightest tug to get him started....just another day for me training without a clue

On a different note...I did finally pick up a whistle , now I just need to remember to take it with me...lol
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    On a different note...I did finally pick up a whistle , now I just need to remember to take it with me...lol
    Oh good....your voice doesn't carry worth a $H1ZZNIT

That's good thinking to use the "lead" LOL to get him moving.
    Try it moving at heel, sit , heel, sit and then drop or release what ever your commands are.
    Try also using a long line or electrical cord "he he" your choice. Command here and hold pulling him to you being careful not to pull hard making the rope hit the bumper out of his mouth. Pull the line inward as he comes to you. Then check up on the cord swinging him into a proper finish at heel still holding the bumper or dowel. You can alternate from a at heel finish or a front sit. Correct as necessary for him dropping. I like to do front sits as well because some later drill work starts from a front sit.

OMG -- you've already taught Murdock to plug himself in??? Maybe you shouldn't be allowed to get an e-collar. Next thing you know, folks will figure out a way to implant an e-collar receiver on the dog where it can't be seen.

Karen

No wonder Murdoch is doing so well, he is plugged in all the time... literally!