Thread: handloads for the 460.vxr revolver

Default handloads for the 460.vxr revolver

i am going to be reloading for the 460 revolver and was wondering about some good handloads for hunting with ..for my own choice is not to try and shoot over 150 yards with a hangun to make sure i get a clean kill on the animal that i hunt ..

so does anyone have a good set of data on bullet weight and powder charges and primers to use on your own personal roll your own handloads..along with heavy duty roll your own bullets weights for bear defense etc..

i beening buying some dies to reload on the press i have allready and i been looking at powders and primers and the diff bullets wieght for the round so any info would help here ..i am going to start a little low on the powder charges the case to see what work well togerther and then build up from there..

The best place to start is with published load data. Stay within the specs. For example, if you are loading with H110 or W296 don't go below minimum! You can start here Hodgon here Lapua or here Alliant for published load data. Cast Performance and others make some excellent hard cast boolits that should get the job done. Also, Ranger Rick here casts and sells some big boolits he calls T-Rex Thumpers.

Snyd has ya on the trail and closing here.
    My gun is a 460V with a 5" (or so) barrel.
    Powders I like best is LilGun (as a replacement for H110/W296 because it's just better on pressure, speed, and cleanliness) and 2400 for some light bullets.

My bear defense load is a match to Corbon's with this 395g bullet over 36.5g Lilgun for about 1450fps from my gun, should do more like 1700-1750 from your XVR. This data comes right from Hodgon’s website and my speed is clocked from my gun 10 foot off the muzzle.

Don't go putting a death grip on it like it’s gonna jump into your face, that will heart your hand with this load! Just a normal firm handgun grip that lets the grip and compensator work is all you need. I shoot them one handed all the time, it won’t jump like so many think, no need to fear it. Enjoy the new toy.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

thanks you for the info ..i been reloading for the rifle and pistol but i never reloaded for a heavy cal like the 460.xvr round so i want to keep in safety specs the first couple of rounds that i reload to make sure it safe and good hunting round

i went with the 5.inch barrel set up with fixed sights and a T.K.custom caliber conversion for the four diff cals along with a double d- leather chest holster wear out in the field when mess around in the back county .

You have the same gun as me then, I thought you had the 8-3/4" XVR model.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

i went over to a friend gunshop and tried both out and like the 5.inch barrel better for it felt better when handleing to me when i handle them both ..plus i never like a long barrel revolver anyway for they have always felt like i was draging a anchor around when handleing them ..

I have the 460 XVR and I am shooting the same 395 gr Cast Performance Boolit as ADFields. I set out to duplicate as close as possible to the Cor-Bon 395 gr round that you can buy off the shelf. I'm using W296 and H110 with about 1500 fps or so velocity. Just use the Hodgdon load data and work up to what you are comfortable with. Like ADFields says, these loads are nothing to be afraid of. Yeah, it has recoil and blast but just use good shooting mechanics and there isn't really anything to be afraid of. FWIW this is my summer time trail load and the one I would depend on should the situation arrise.

I have some of Ranger Rick's 265 gr and 325 gr boolits that I have played around with some. I was trying to duplicate the Hornady Trunce Cone factory loads. I don't really remember the loads I was working on but I'm pretty sure it was with H110/W296 and 2400 as those are about the only powders I use in this gun. When I finish working up these loads this will be my winter trail load. Right now I'm just carrying the Hornady factory loads. These should do for most any critter I encounter in the winter.

This is a very fun gun to work up loads for. I expect you will enjoy it.

Dan

thank you for the ideas for the revolver loads