Thread: Treadmill and Dogs

Default Treadmill and Dogs

I was wondering if anyone out there has their dog(s) running on the treadmill? I've seen it on tv here and there but I've never spoken with anyone who has actually done it. If this applies to anyone please reply and explain how you introduced the treadmill to the dog...did you use treats or just a lot of praise?

thanks in advanced for any information shared,

Richie

I use one here. Mostly for dogs with high energy, behavioral issues or when I need to address obedience drill work. I need for the dogs energy level to be notched down a little for the dog to learn easier. "You can't talk to the mind until the body is tired"

I use a simple lead to bring them up on the tread mill. I start off with a real slow speed and get the dog moving. I command "heel" which means to stay along beside me. In this case I am stationary and the dog has to stay in place beside me. I encourage the dog to keep up not leading too far or lagging behind. They will be confused at first but staying calm while introducing this will also keep your dog calm about learning how to use the tread mill. I try to speed up quickly as they get use to it. Having them focus on the gradual increase in speed keeps their mind busy ..preventing them from wanting to buck off.

I have a friend who has taken her dog for a bike ride without leaving the house. She rode her bike on a trainer next to the treadmill while the dog ran on the treadmill. Not sure if she had to do anything special to teach the dog to do it, but it is pretty cool.

If you elect to try this, please video the first time.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Quote Originally Posted by Richie View Post
    I was wondering if anyone out there has their dog(s) running on the treadmill? I've seen it on tv here and there but I've never spoken with anyone who has actually done it. If this applies to anyone please reply and explain how you introduced the treadmill to the dog...did you use treats or just a lot of praise?

thanks in advanced for any information shared,

Richie

I have a friend who would always put his Weimer on the treadmill to take some of the energy out of him. One day he was having problems getting him to stay on the run but got him going, he left the room and a minute later the dog came running out of the room. He went in and checked what happened--the dog had taken a dump and the tread mill did a great job of scattering doggy doo all over the place.

Moral of this true story is, make sure the dog gets its time outside also.

kingfisher, I'm glad I didn't have the same experience as your buddy did...haha.

during my lunch break I was able to get Banks up on the treadmill. I put him on a lead like WR was saying and everything turned out great. I started out walking at a slow pace and encouraged him to come up on the treadmill. I slowly increased the pace to 2.5 mph then I stepped off to the left onto the plastic. I increased the speed to 3 mph and Banks was having a great time.

appreciate the input.

Richie

Default Great for high energy dogs

I used the same technique for my vizsla that WR mentioned, now he lays on the treadmill (when its off) waiting to run again. I wish I had the energy to keep up with the way he can move!