Thread: Denali Hwy Area Trail Map?

Default Denali Hwy Area Trail Map?

Going to spend 3 days on the Denali Hwy the first week in March. Does anyone publish a map of the trails that are established off the hwy? I assume the lodges can give directions, but wanted to do some internet scouting before I swamp a person on the phone with a ton of questions.

Any help on this and/or tips of places to go would be great. We are running 136" tracked machines so we are not looking for anything too steep or deep.

Thanks

Default maps

dnr.ak.gov

Quote Originally Posted by bgauthierfamily View Post
    dnr.ak.gov
    State map only has the hwy trail itself. There are trails that branch off the hwy that I am trying to locate.

RMK

Default Contact Alpine Creek Lodge

Alpine Creek Lodge is at the mid point of the Denali Highway. I bet they have the low down on every trail up and down that road.

Contact them and see what they can tell you. I doubt they are too swamped to help. You may decide to stop there to eat or stay.

Alpine Creek is our lodge for the first night. Then to Denali Hwy Cabins for night #2. Then back to Cantwell and Backwoods Lodge for the last night.

Default Denali Highway trails

We are working on a trail map for the area. We have been packing our GPS and mapping them but haven't got them overlaid on paper yet. We do know the trails and can verbally describe them and show them to you on the map at the lodge. We expect to get this mapping done by mid - may or so and distribute. I realize that won't help you in the mean time. Hopefully folks on here will give you heads up to trails too! I'm sure I don't know all of them perfectly yet... but I'm working on it! From the lodge we have a lot of miles of trails open and are great riding! We have the trail up Valdez mine road almost pushed through to the Clearwater, but still some work to do. Windy Creek valley I'm working on getting on that one again also. The Hatchett Lake Trail, Bob Fish Lake Trail and the lower Clearwater loop trail are all broke in and good riding right from the lodge.

To get you started, here's the atv trail map for the Tangle Lakes Archealogical district. I know these like the back of my hand for the most part in the summer anyhow. I'm not sure how they are going to be in winter:http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medial...s_brochure.pdf

#1. Goes to a nice overlook.
    #2. I haven't been on this one since they did some major improvements. Good fishing at the lake!
    #3. One of my favorite spots! Excellent grayling fishing where the lake dumps into the creek. Bring your fly pole!
    #4. Great trail, lot of caribou and grizzly.
    #5. Good trail, but wet at the beginning with a lot of large rocks. Take your time. The trail gets better the further you go.
    #6. Good trail! A little muddy at times. Crossing the Gulkana is not always possible.
    #7. I had the best day of catching ever at Dickey Lake. Literally a fish on every cast for several hours and nice size to them too.

Give a call anytime after 5pm once I get home at 907-394-2552 to discuss further.

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info Claude! I'll contact you later to discuss in more detail.