Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving to AK - better to ship guns?

Default Moving to AK - better to ship guns?

I'm driving up to AK towing a Uhaul with all my belongings. Which is easier, shipping my rifles up or bringing them along through Canada and dealing with the border crossings? What is involved with bringing them into Canada and back into Alaska?

Make sure you have all your documentation for the weapons and easy accessability to them when you get to the border. Also most importantly is to measure the entire length and barrel length. Have all serial numbers, make and models. You'll be good to go. I brought up like 30 guns or so and had no problems.

Double check Canada's regs if you have any handguns. I don't believe they allow you to bring those through.

I came up last summer through Seattle - brought 2 rifles (both lever guns) and a pump shotgun. They treated me like a criminal. I had all the paperwork in order and it was still UGLY... Second trip up with family was through montana, but i left the rest of the guns at home. I'll try bringing them up on flights later. Just not worth the grief (and 2 hour wait) for me.

Check the rules carefully. They have limitations in re to THEIR military calibers, overall length of long guns, and handguns are just about forbidden (unless you want to meet before hand with gov't officials).

Shipping can be steep, but may be the best/easiest way to go. IMHO

3 things. Only having guns you're allowed to bring through Canada. Having Import permits for Canada and then for the US. That's it. I went through ND last year and no one even looked at the guns. The best advice is to call the posts you will go through and specificly ask EACH of them what they want you to do and will require.

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Adam Barringer View Post
    3 things. Only having guns you're allowed to bring through Canada. Having Import permits for Canada and then for the US. That's it. I went through ND last year and no one even looked at the guns. The best advice is to call the posts you will go through and specificly ask EACH of them what they want you to do and will require.

Brett
    I'm riding with you next time! ;-)

Default I did it once...

When I live in Juneau for the summer of '05 I brought my 12ga because I thought I may be out and about in the out of way places. I crossed over in Montana and the officer I spoke with was very professional.

She made sure I knew that I was going to prison when they searched my car and found a handgun. Then gave me a second chance to turn around so I wouldn't have to go to prison.

I told her I left the hand guns at home. She then told me to park in the parking spots over there, leave my gun in the car but bring its information inside, and they would get me on my way.

She pretty much scared the living daylights out of me with her speech but she was never rude. I think she was just doing her job, and she was good at it. If I had been trying to sneak a hand gun in she would have made me think twice about it, which is probably what she was trying to do.

Two years later when I was moving to Anchorage I crossed at the same crossing. The officer this time said "Are you traveling with any firearms?" When I said no, because I wasn't, he said "Why not?"

I was a little confused and asked him what he meant. His reply was "Well... You brought them last time." I then explained to him that this time the locks on the car didn't work and I didn't want the responsibility of carrying a firearm through a foreign country. After asking me what kind of hand gun I have he told me to have a good trip and let me on my way. That was kind of weird.

Another thing to consider is if you plan to go through any of the Canadian Nat'l Parks you need to have your firearm Plugged. I think its a steel wire run down the barrel and out the breach then both ends are sealed with a lead plug. If you get caught with an unplugged gun in the park your in deep trouble.

I talked to the Local police and RCMP and neither of them could tell me where to get my shotgun plugged. So if you're planning to run through Banff etc... (which I recommend as it is very beautiful) you should find out how to get that all taken care of.

To get my guns to AK the second time I just waited until I flew home to visit for Christmas and brought them back with me on the plane.

Have a fun and safe trip.

Bring spare tires (plural) for your trailer,

Brian D.

Man this sounds like a headache!

Default shipping guns

I agree the border thing is a pain. Im not sure if they still charge but when i came across I think it was $50 for every 4 guns. If you dont want to cross the border with them then ship them. Someone correct me if Im wrong but he can ship his guns to himself without an FFL being envoled. Hillbilly

I am curious about what is involved with shipping guns to yourself too. I have several long guns in TN that I want to take back to AK with me at the end of my leave in the spring. I can take 2 in a case on the plane, but the rest need to be shipped. Can I just send them to myself?

I was up in Alaska a few years ago and purchased a shotgun which I shipped home to myself via the USPS. Nothing special was needed, same goes for shipping a long gun to a gunsmith for repairs. BTW most post offices, particularly large city ones, are ignorant of their own rules and regulations shipping firearms so if you ship via the USPS be prepared for that fact. When I'd ship firearms in Illinois I had to use the post office in the neighboring town because the bonehead postmaster in Naperville flat out refused to ship firearms, even after I brought in copies of the regs.
    Steve
    Tomorrow's a mystery, yesterday's history, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present!
    Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)

Well, when i moved a few months ago, i was thinking about shipping my guns out through usps or even ups. But as i was speaking to the movers moving my stuff, i decided to ask them what the best idea was. These movers i used took my guns in and pretty much made my decision easier. I don't know if i could have gone through the hassle of going to the careless post office to ship everything out. Maybe the ps just sucks where i live.

Had no trouble at all, had Docs. in order and spent minutes at the most with them. You can mail them to your self, not sure what restrictions there may be for doing so though.
    Paul

Yep you can ship to yourself or even to yourself via a third party with "Do not open" on the package. Unfortunately most USPS (for long guns) and UPS/Fedex for handguns do not always know this and demand you mail to FFL. Some FFLs will 'keep them safe' for you for a small fee. You mail to FFL, then pick em up when you get there.
    I am also planning my firearms moving to Kodiak and the Canadian paperwork does seem a nightmare. Probably mail most and only take a shotty or 45/70 in the U-haul.
    I read somewhere that if you have mailed any guns, specifically handguns, then have the UPS/Fedex receipt with you at the border - you are less likely to be searched if you prove you mailed handguns.

What is this bit about US Importation papers? Do you have to go through same process going out of Canada?

If I don't need any papers with UPS or Fedex, do I even need to tell them what's in the box? If I packaged them myself and just went in and said I need to ship this, shouldn't be an issue right?

So long as you don't have handguns or other guns that aren't allowed in Canada, it's not a big deal to bring firearms with you, just fill out the paperwork in advance.

If you have them shipped there are various options with pro's and con's.

One caution about a mover doing it is making sure that you go with a legit moving company that understands Canadian firearm laws. A friend had a nightmare experience when the movers they used got popped due to shipping firearms through Canada without doing it properly (it was someone elses guns that were shipped along with their personal belongings) It took them several months to get their personal belongings.

My personal preference would be to take all the guns with me that aren't restricted. No worries about them getting lost by UPS/Fed Ex, nor impounded in Canada by a mover that doesn't know what he's doing.

Thumbs up moving shipping guns

don't bring them live in alaska a year, most people who move here hate it after a year, thats why we have a pop. of 700,000 state wide. people are in a state of flux here you have to wait a year for a res. license to hunt any way, and access sucks here you can always buy a nice used gun at a good price unttil you decide on ak. and our economy is going belly up , the feds are going to list the belugs wale as going extinct thats going to kill southcentral ak. good luck. last one out turn off the lights.

Question

My thought is going through ABF freight, getting one of those containers dropped off and pack all our stuff in there, including guns and ammo, and shipping the whole deal through ABF in the container. I shouldn't have any issues then right? Do I need to specify it gets boated around Canada or can it get shipped right through sealed? The wife and I rather fly and then be there to get our stuff when it shows up. We are too impatient to drive from Ohio!

We moved up 2 years ago and it was a nightmare to try and get the Canuks and the U.S. to give us the actual laws for crossing. We just used a shipper in Tacoma, WA. $500.00 buck for a small container up to 500lbs. No ammo though... we tried every shiper imaginable and noone would ship ammo at that time without tons of HazMAt paperwork and steep fees etc. We drove up with 5000 rnds... the max at the time and that took weeks of calls to the Canadian gov't. We had to declare on the U.S. side before we went through in Vancouver and then again at the border and then again coming into AK. The U.S. wants to make sure you purchased the ammo in the states and didn't fet it in Canada.
    What a freakin pain! Never again! We are here to stay and I don't plan on going through that crap again.

Mountaintrekker

Default If you have more than 2 or 3 guns

If you have several guns then definitely ship them up. I shipped up my collection of around 40 guns with most of my household goods.
    I'd contact Pacific Alaska Forwarders. They have offices in Anchorage, Fairbanks and Tacoma. They know their business.
    Another option that most people aren't aware of is you can ship guns through the mail, UPS ect., if you already own them. See the link below for details on this.
    http://www.hillcountryrifles.com/pages/shipping

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast