Thread: Waterproofing spray WORKS!!

Default Waterproofing spray WORKS!!

So I was going predator hunting with a buddy and was in a bind for some 'whites'.

I ran down to Wal-Mart (it was late and nothing else was open), got a white sweatshirt to put over my coat and a pair of white dickies painter pants to put over my snowpants.

Dreading my time the next day in less than ideal gear and being wet ALL day, I went back to the camping section and found a can of Atsko Silicon Water-Guard spray. For $5 I thought what the heck

Hung the pants and sweatshirt up in the garage and used the entire can on 'em. I let dry for a couple hours and since the tag says 24 hours or something like that and we were leaving in the morning, I threw 'em in the dryer to help out a bit .

50 miles on the sled through some good powder, trudging through and sitting in snow for 4-5 sets, I was amazed to see the water beading up on cotton pants and shirt. It would bead up and freeze without soaking in. I'm tellin' ya for 5 bucks, give it a shot.

I'm re-waterproofing my snowpants since I've had since 8th grade and maybe I'll get another season out of 'em since I ALWAYS come home wet when I wear those buggers...

Pants that leak: $200

Waterproofing in a can or squirt bottle: $5-10

Being dry: Priceless

Be careful with the dryer. Some of the sprays will come off during the cycle if there's any heat at all.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    I'm re-waterproofing my snowpants since I've had since 8th grade and maybe I'll get another season out of 'em since I ALWAYS come home wet when I wear those buggers...
    I'm jealous that you still fit in pants from middle school!

that spray is awesome on the cordura barneys packs as well...and works good on leather boots. i love that stuff.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

OK, so the waterproofer stuff works. We need more important details here!!!!!!

Was there any fur down on your trip?

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    Being dry: Priceless

Be careful with the dryer. Some of the sprays will come off during the cycle if there's any heat at all.
    Absolutely! Thanks for the heads up on the dryer

Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
    I'm jealous that you still fit in pants from middle school!
    Believe me I'm definitelyl 'growing into them'

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    that spray is awesome on the cordura barneys packs as well...and works good on leather boots. i love that stuff.
    For someone thats on Kodiak as much as you, and you approve, I'd say I'm gonna keep using it
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    OK, so the waterproofer stuff works. We need more important details here!!!!!!

Was there any fur down on your trip?
    No, no fur

Couple of spots we were pretty far off the beaten path and I felt really good about our sets, but nothin'...PM inbound

Anyone ever tried that stuff on sleeping bags? I have often thought about spraying down one of my down bags, just scared it might turn into a huge mistake.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Heck hunt...imagine how light your pack would be if you just,

leave the clothes at home and carry the can of spray... like water off a duck..

can you say ... Quaaack!!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by akbo-n-aro View Post
    Anyone ever tried that stuff on sleeping bags? I have often thought about spraying down one of my down bags, just scared it might turn into a huge mistake.
    Nikwax do a wash-in for downs, it works very well.

Yep that stuff works great. I've quit packing pack covers on my backpack trips and just liberally spray that stuff on there. All my sleeping gear and clothing are in waterproof compression sacks to begin with but the added insurance of that stuff helping to prevent a fully saturated pack is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Yep that stuff works great. I've quit packing pack covers on my backpack trips and just liberally spray that stuff on there. All my sleeping gear and clothing are in waterproof compression sacks to begin with but the added insurance of that stuff helping to prevent a fully saturated pack is nice.
    HA, when you spend as much as I did on a pack it just doesn't rain!

Thumbs up Ooooooh!

Vince, that brings some very interesting pictures to mind. Why don't you try it and let us know. I'll stay home on that trip