Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1856 or 2052 Alweld

Default 1856 or 2052 Alweld

I went with down payment to place my order for my Alweld boat & I got 2 surprises.
    The first, the salesman tells me the price he figured was for an 1856 Alweld & not the 1756 that I thought we talked about. No big deal. He goes on to tell me they have a 2052 set up like I want, with jet tunnel & no rear bench.

I can get the 2052 for $850.00 less than the 1856. Keeping in mind what ever I get, will for now, be powered by a 90/65 jet.

I have a few days to make a choice.
    Which would you choose & why?

Not sure if the width changes bother you, but the two foot syndrome I hear about is catchy. )) I would think longer is fine.) I drove an 18 ft alweld this summer and it had a 90 honda jet on it. Seemed plenty fine with me.

The more I think on it I am liking the longer skinnier boat.

Boat will never have an extreme load in it. Heaviest load would be 3 adults & 2 kids with fishing gear. Either of these boats would handle that.

I still hate decisions like this.

Where will the boat be used and how many people will be fishing out of it?
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Where will the boat be used and how many people will be fishing out of it?
    Boat will be used on a very shallow sand bottom river & some deeper rivers & lakes. Will be fishing 2-3 people most times. Will also be switching between prop & jet.

Suggest you get a Power Tran jack plate with 7.5 inches of lift otherwise you will have to remount the motor every time you switch prop/jet to be in the optimal position.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Suggest you get a Power Tran jack plate with 7.5 inches of lift otherwise you will have to remount the motor every time you switch prop/jet to be in the optimal position.
    Yup a jack plate or some method of lift for the motor is a must.

I sure wish I could run both of these boats on the same day. Just to get a feel for how big a difference there is between them.

I am in the process of installing apower-trans, nice lift.!
    I ran a manual lift last year, one thing I noticed about a lift, (both lifts have about a 5" setback), It will cause your boat to draft more water when drifting, something to consider with a narrower bottom.

My boat is a 20X60" and the motor is some 420 pounds, with the manual lift it settled the boat down 3-1/2" to 4" lower in the water, it also took longer to get on step X 2, as near as I could time it.

Your 90/65 is probably a lot lighter, but I seem to remember you mentioned you may want to upgrade at some point, if you are thinking four stroke, a 115 yamaha is over 400 pounds for example.

I personally think the narrow bottom is great in a smaller boat (14' to 18'), mostly so because you could get away with a samller powerplant.
    But when you start getting into 20 footers and want to power it up, the motors get heavy quick and you may find it would be less than ideal.

Then you could add some floatation pods, which I am in process of doing, will see if they work as well as I hope!
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

I am thinking that when I do upgrade it will be no bigger than a 115 hp. Your point about draft is one that is on my mind. I keep going back & forth between these 2 boats.

I probably should stick with my original choice.

On another note, every one I know that has added the floatation pods has been happy with them.

get the bigger motor to start and you wont have to upgrade. and dont worry about having both prop and jet. get the jet and you will find you wont be wanting to changing it out all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by flatbottom View Post
    get the bigger motor to start and you wont have to upgrade. and dont worry about having both prop and jet. get the jet and you will find you wont be wanting to changing it out all the time.
    I all ready have the 90 hp. This motor is in great shape with very few hours despite it's age.

With the collapse of the our dollar being a very distinct possibility. I wish to pay with cash & make the most of what I have available.

If it were my decision, I'd go with the 20' boat. I have 3 kids who I like to take fishing and after using a 16' boat for a few years, and after spending a lot of time in my friends 19'6" Lowe, I stepped up to a 20'. I doubt you would get into a situation where the 2 feet would be a draw back and there are multiple benefits. You will be able to run a little shallower, you can haul more and even take some friends with you. I think with the loads you are planning, the 90hp would work fine as the 2 foot difference doesn't add up to that much more weight yet gets you more surface to plane on. My friend runs the 19'6 Lowe Roughneck (heavier jon boat) with a 90 jet and it works great. If it were me (and I did make this choice) I'd step up and get the 2foot bigger boat!

The extra 2' with my boy & his cousins casting baited hooks & lures every which way would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Kawriverrat View Post
    I can get the 2052 for $850.00 less than the 1856.

Which would you choose & why?
    Personally I would go wider. I have a 1452 and if it was any longer I would want it wider.

15' I would go 56"
    16' I would go 60"
    18' I would go 66"
    20' I would go 70"

Thats just me(short and wide)

Default Flotation...

Jeff-
    Does the 20' hull have foam flotation? Not a biggie for shallow flows, but I see you're gonna use it in lakes also.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Turner View Post
    Jeff-
    Does the 20' hull have foam flotation? Not a biggie for shallow flows, but I see you're gonna use it in lakes also.
    Yes there will be flotation in the bow. This boat will not have a rear bench seat. So I will be cutting flotation for fitting under the floor.
    I dont care much for that blown in, water absorbing, expanding stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumm View Post
    Personally I would go wider. I have a 1452 and if it was any longer I would want it wider.

15' I would go 56"
    16' I would go 60"
    18' I would go 66"
    20' I would go 70"

Thats just me(short and wide)
    Couldn't go wrong with those dimensions.
    This boat has been put on the back burner for a couple of weeks. Need to reevaluate what would be best at this time verses what I want.

I have way to much stuff going on right now!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Turner View Post
    Jeff-
    I have never understood this train of thought. I find the flotation more of a hindrance than anything else with the way it soaks up water after years of use and stops the flow of water when leaves, bark, fishing line etc get built up around it.

I would never trust some foam to keep me afloat for that I would trust a well made boat and my boating skills.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    I would never trust some foam to keep me afloat for that I would trust a well made boat and my boating skills.
    And a high quality life jacket

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    I find the flotation more of a hindrance than anything else with the way it soaks up water after years of use and stops the flow of water when leaves, bark, fishing line etc get built up around it.
    This is exaclty why I like buying foam blocks & cutting them to fit. When I lift my floor out the flotation is easily removed for cleaning the boat & the foam flotation can be left out to dry if needed.

Any boat I have seen that is a few years old with the sprayed in expanding crap, ends up gaining a 100 lbs. or more in water weight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast