Thread: Top 10 hikes in the interior

Default Top 10 hikes in the interior

I am doing some summer time planning and trying to get some ideas-anyone have any favorites.

One I've been looking at a lot and am planning on doing this summer is Kesugi Ridge. It is more than a day-hike, though - most people recommend 3, so we're going to take 4 or 5 so we can thoroughly explore the surrounding terrain. Looks like an awesome hike.

I can't offer much in the way of experience, though, as I spend my time in SouthCentral.

-Brian

My wife and a pair of friends enjoyed hiking the Pinnell Mountain Trail from Eagle to 12 Mile Summit near the Steese Highway north of Fairbanks. It's been a long time since we were there, but it was a wonderful summertime hike.

The bugs can be pretty intense if there's not much wind, so be prepared for that. The vistas are impressive, as most of the trail is above treeline.

David
    David M Johnson
    Anchorage, Alaska
    http://awildolivebranch.blogspot.com

Default Kesugi and Pinnell and others

One of our ABHA members has a great pic of Kesugi Ridge on our website. Sounds like a great hike, Brian, beautiful scenery. He also has a shot of a hike near Raven Glacier/Crow Pass, which is a great hike to do in Chugach Nat. Forest. A list of some hiking trails is available on the DNR website:
    http://www.dnr.state.ak.us/parks/aktrails/atstrans.htm

I've done a part of the Pinnell trail as well, and it's a great hike. Lots of ridgeline walking, good trail, plenty of marmots skirting around and making noises under the rocks. The ham club has a repeater on top of Porcupine Dome, which the trail runs along the base of, and had to hike in once to do repairs on it. Really well kept trail, with mileage posts so you know where you are.

The Granite Tors trail north of Fbks is also a great one to do, starts low in the trees and gets up high into the ridges and Tors.
    Good luck and enjoy your hikes,

Mark - Since you're a nut for accuracy, I thought I'd point out that Crow Pass is in the State Park, not the National Forest. (Well, a small portion may be in the Nat'l Forest, but the vast majority is in the State Park.) I used to guide groups of 15-30 teenagers over this pass every summer - some great memories there.

-Brian

Default thanks Brian

Brian, seems like I recall Carl telling me that when I posted his pics on the ABHA site. Thanks for correction.

Default summit trail

The summit trail north of Fairbanks is supposed to be a good trail although I haven't hiked it yet but I plan to this summer. I have picked blueberries at the start of the trail and if you plan your hike during blueberry season it would be a bonus....................

Default Ke'sugi Ridge

I second or third the vote for Ke'sugi Ridge. The views of The Mountain are beyond belief!

We did it in 5 nights to enjoy the views& started at the northern trailhead at Little Coal Creek. Expect lots of black bears down toward the Troublesome Creek (thus the name!) area. Also, come prepared for winds up on that ridge. The weather changes a lot.

We all took bear barrels or bear-proof sacks. I consider that a must in that area. Ke'sugi is part of Denali STATE Park. The state park ranger station a Byers Lake loans out Garcia canisters.

Default Interior Hikes

The Talkeetnas are often easy and wild; the Denali Hwy. near Paxson leads to tundra, the Peters Hills below Moose's Tooth; the Gulkana to the Copper as a float, or the hike up the Copper; the Brooks near Galbraith Lake; the Wrangells near McCarthy; Thompson Pass above Valdez -- these are all interiors.

JJ

Pinnel Mountain trail is awesome. If you go during the 5 days that straddle the summer solstice (June 19-23 or so) you'll get to see the Midnight Sun, where the sun doesn't dip below the horizon. Even though this area is below the Arctic circle, it is high enough in elevation and looks down to the Yukon flats to the north, which makes this viewing possible. The lowest point of the sun occurrs at about 2 AM.

I hiked it 6 years ago during these dates and got totally HAMMERED by gale-force winds (about 60 mph) and blowing snow, on the first day of summer! We had 3-season summer gear, so it was quite an adventure! There are no trees for shelter. We survived the night, and by the next morning all signs of the treachery had melted away. We did see the midnight sun for several nights, so the whole trip was worth it.

What was the water situation like on Pinnel? Did you do the loop? If so did you have two vehicles?

Thanks!

Water on Pinnel: I don't remember there being any creeks or streams. There are a few ponds along the way. There are two shelter cabins on the trail with great rain caches...this is where we got our water. We had two vehicles and left one at each end of the trail. The Steese is well traveled enough in the summer that you could probably hitchhike fairly easily if you needed to.

Fairbanks Area Hiking Club is gearing up for the year and their website is back from being hacked.

http://www.fairbankshiking.org/

They have a lot of nice links under their resources button.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?