Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ??...Pinnell and Talifson....

Default ??...Pinnell and Talifson....

...we've always enjoyed reading the accounts of their hunts...
    -did anyone here personally know them?
    ....a well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed....

I don't know much of anyone. I did pick up TRACK OF THE KODIAK, by Marvin H. Clark, Jr. He was a packer for them. Pretty good read.

Default P&T

I met Talifson back about 1980 in Mack's sport shop Kodiak. Wish I could of had more than a 5 minute conversation. In clark's book, he mentions "a little guy in a green coat" That was my hunting companion. G.And I were on a spring Bear hunt at Karluk river

Great old time guides and Alaska stories about them for sure. They did square bears a little different.

Default Biil & Morris said

yup I knew em I was just looking at an old ad booket they put out and this caught my eye.

"A MESSAGE FROM YOUR GUIDES!
    DEAR FRIEND,
    We have done our best to tell you, and show you with the pictures what we have to offer.
    Our hunting camps are located in the heart of the bear country. We live here the year around and see bear all the time. We know our hunting country like a book and know where the big old bear hang out. You will see by the pictures that most of our hunters have taken very large bear with us. We give personal guide service and don't farm our hunters out like some of the guides do.
    - Our fishing is fine, you can fish out of any of the camps and make good catches only a few feet from the door of the cabins. Our Ptarmi¬gan and duck hunting in the fall of the year is the best on the Island. If you are a wing shot you will enjoy this along with your bear hunting and fishing.
    Should there be any matter not covered in this booklet concerning a hunt with us, please feel free to write for information. Hunting is our business and we take great pride and pleasure in striving to honestly describe out hunting conditions, terrain, and other facts. Your success is our main interest.
    We hope to have the pleasure of booking you for a hunt with us. Yours respectfully,
    BILL and MORRIS"

Default Alittle more P&T

I like the part about how to ship your rifle

From P&T booklet

"WHAT TO BRING ALONG
    • Bring your gun and two boxes of ammunition.
    • 1 fishing rod with a spinning reel.
    • 1 pair of light weight hip boots, not ankle fitting and Converse pre¬ferred.
    • 1 light full length rain coat. L.L. Bean sells a good one.
    • 1 light warm coat, down preferred. This can be purchased in Seattle, Washington at Eddie Bauer.
    • Light, medium weight long handle underwear.
    • Medium weight wool shirts.
    • Medium weight wool socks.

» Medium weight wool pants.
    • A cap with ear flaps as some of the mornings will be frosty.
    • A flashlight and two extra batteries.
    • You can ship your extra gear by parcel post 30 days ahead of the time you make your hunt. Ship it to yourself in care of us, Olga Bay, Kodiak, Alaska.
    • Don't bring a lot of junk you will have no use for as excess air bag¬gage is very expensive. You are allowed 66 pounds on your ticket as Alaska is considered overseas.
    • Don't bring Bright Red Clothes - you don't have to wear red clothes up here as no one is going to shoot at you. Bring dark colored finger gloves.
    • NOTICE! When you plan your hunt please don't crowd yourself for time as you may spoil your hunt as you might have to take the first shot you get a chance at - and it might not be the bear that you would like to have, or a good shot. The best hunt to be on is the time it will fit into your business so you can get away to make the hunt. We have taken large bear on all of the hunts.
    AN AIR TICKET WILL COST FROM $500 to $600 depending on where you live in the States. From the Rocky Mountains east to the east Coast the fare is $550 to $600, depending on what kind of ticket you buy, first class or a tourist ticket.
    HOTEL RESERVATIONS
    Please wire us your approximate arrival time in Kodiak so we can make hotel reservations for you. It could be that you will not be able to fly out to our camp the day you arrive in Kodiak. We will have one of the Bush Pilots to fly you out to our main camp as soon as possible after your arrival in Kodiak.
    The airport is seven miles from Kodiak. When you arrive, take the bus, limousene or taxi into the city of Kodiak. The hotel is a half block from the PACIFIC NORTHERN AIRLINES ticket office.
    CAUTION: Be sure and take the bolt out of your rifle and pack it on the plane with you. DON'T check your RIFLE. It might get lost in transit."

Smile Joe You better Chime In!

Joe Want who constantly posts here is their cultural legacy. I say this because
    I have heard from many other old guides that Joe basically came up "old school" from P and T.

He served the type of apprenticeship that isn't very often practiced any more.

Joe would never make a big deal about this but there it is..He knows more about them then anybody alive.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Default i personally blame these two

for all the bears that are skinned wrong that i have to fix
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

My uncle worked for them at one time as a guide a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by sharksinthesalsa View Post
    Can you explain this?

Default P&T Bear skinning method

Quote Originally Posted by sharksinthesalsa View Post
    Yes; plz explain. I was thinking of starting a new thread about the method they used at the rear of a bear discussed in "Track" that "squared" the bottom of the skin/rug. Is this what you are referring to?

Ok here is how they did it. They skinned the rear of the bear where the tail need to be cut off and sewed on the bottom edge of the rug which was straight across not really showing the hind legs. The tail hole and other hole were just stitched up. Imagine instead of skinning from the tail up the legs you started in front of the penis sheath and then up adding all that extra hide to the length of the bear.Other world the tail would end up being sewed back on at the penis sheath giveing a square that was a foot or eighteen inches longer than normal. This was (not done to cheat) as only skulls make the book

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Ok here is how they did it. They skinned the rear of the bear where the tail need to be cut off and sewed on the bottom edge of the rug which was straight across not really showing the hind legs. The tail hole and other hole were just stitched up. Imagine instead of skinning from the tail up the legs you started in front of the penis sheath and then up adding all that extra hide to the length of the bear.Other world the tail would end up being sewed back on at the penis sheath giveing a square that was a foot or eighteen inches longer than normal. This was (not done to cheat) as only skulls make the book
    "Ok here is how they did it...". Not on any of the bears I saw and worked on while working there. The cut on the back legs passed just in back of the testicles, between the anus and testicles, the belly cut also started at the mid point on this line, not in front of the penis sheath. The affect is to give more definition to the back legs and to "square" that area between the front and back legs of the bear rug.
    While at Olga Bay, and since, length measurement has always been made from the nose to the tip of the tail and not the back edge of the hide, so has no influence on the "squaring" of the bear.
    It was a great place to work with bear hunting "not a way of life" but "your life". Time spent before actually taking out a hunter was a minimum of three or four years so a good foundation was established to learn from experiences gained on future hunts. It is no accident that some of the top guides of that era; Marlin G., John S., Loyd R. and "P & T" helped so many establish the necessary foundation for a "life time" of learning.
    Joe (Ak)
    Joe (Ak)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Joe I'm just going by the words in the books I've read. They talk about what the taxidermist wanted and how they did it (moveing the tail). This reflects no unkindness on these great old time guides. I wish I had the chance to know them as you did. Wonderfull pic and it shows the difference in skinning very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Joe I'm just going by the words in the books I've read. They talk about what the taxidermist wanted and how they did it (moveing the tail). This reflects no unkindness on these great old time guides. I wish I had the chance to know them as you did. Wonderfull pic and it shows the difference in skinning very well.
    I apologize for coming across "too strong", it was not my intention. There are certainly a number of ways the opening cuts can be made. We and they (P&T) usually would have the clients talk to their taxidermist before coming. I can't remember any that did. Usually so happy by the time we got the bear "opening cuts" were pretty far down their list of priorities. In the late fifties most of the bears were going to Jonas Brothers for mounting and I don't remember ever hearing anything about the opening cuts from them or any other taxidermists over the years.
    Appreciate your posts - and didn't intend to come across so strong.
    Joe (Ak)

Post i rember reading there 1st book in the 80's

but it was the "AD's in the back of outdoor life magazine " with the bears layed out covering the "wall " behind them that, as a kid got me pumped UP.........
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Mr.Joe Want, do you have more bear pictures that you would be willing to post? the pic above with the two monsters,wowza. The size of the skulls. I cant even imagine.

The people that ask if a 30-06 will work on a bear hunt should see pictures like these. Ken

No problem Joe,nothing but respect for you and the old ways.Yes it was Jonas Brothers and I don't believe they were trying to pull anything either

...-This is a great picture, Joe...

-thankyou so much for sharing, and posting this!-
    ....a well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Engel View Post
    The people that ask if a 30-06 will work on a bear hunt should see pictures like these. Ken
    Not to start anything, but Master Guide Phil Shoemaker (he knows a thing or two about bear hunting . . .) says the 30-06 works just great, and he uses one when guiding!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast