Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 Jim Creek Cleanup

Default 2010 Jim Creek Cleanup

Hey all,
    The Knik/Jim Creek Cleanup is scheduled for May 22nd this year. As always, you guys and your friends, and their friends are invited! Starting at 10AM in the Pavilion parking lot, lunch at 2 and door prize drawing at 3.
    We provide Dumpsters and trash bags, you provide a way for you to move around the area, gloves, and water. Bring in a full bag and you get our famous burger/hotdog lunch and get entered for the door prizes. We are trying to work in a run/benefit for a charity afterwards, I'll let you know how that will work when I know! :-)
    If you have any questions email me at merickson@alaska.comerickson@alaska.com.
    Come on out!
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

I am trying to find a way to get the Alaska Military youth academy to come out and do some community service. alot of those teens come out and play and some are the reason it gets trashed. It would be good for them to give back to the community. They are required to do 40 hours of community service while they are at the academy any ways. Is there any way we could designate an area that they would be resposible for since they will all be on foot? Is the National Guard going to be out there again this year? If so we can coordinate with them aswell. Since the academy is sponsored by them.

we are definitely going there and my other friend will be there too thanks for early date

Quote Originally Posted by ARGONUT View Post
    I am trying to find a way to get the Alaska Military youth academy to come out and do some community service. a lot of those teens come out and play and some are the reason it gets trashed. It would be good for them to give back to the community. They are required to do 40 hours of community service while they are at the academy any ways. Is there any way we could designate an area that they would be responsible for since they will all be on foot? Is the National Guard going to be out there again this year? If so we can coordinate with them as well. Since the academy is sponsored by them.
    I think that is a great idea!!!! I say we give your kids the parking lot area and the main trail out to the river bed. It is not that long so they could walk it. They could drop their filled trash bags along the main trail and I would be willing to drive the bags back up to the parking lot to dump them. I have a Rhino so we could load a lot of bags in the rear dump bed. That would give all the other folks more reason to head out a little farther and get more trash from the more remote areas.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

We will be out there again this year. We have participated in the last two clean-ups and have had a blast! It is a great day of riding and doing good for an area we all enjoy.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660

Here's a stupid question.

With the Troopers patrolling the area, is there really that much trash out there anymore?

I haven't had the chance to ride out there all winter so I don't know. I've never had the opportunity to join in on the clean up in the past because of work, but it looks like I might be able to participate this year. I canít imagine that it would that be as big of an event as years past.

Quote Originally Posted by forAK View Post
    Here's a stupid question.

With the Troopers patrolling the area, is there really that much trash out there anymore?

I haven't had the chance to ride out there all winter so I don't know. I've never had the opportunity to join in on the clean up in the past because of work, but it looks like I might be able to participate this year. I canít imagine that it would that be as big of an event as years past.
    I have participated in the clean-up for the last two years. The troopers have been out there for the last two years...

We have cleaned up over 7 tons of trash during each of the last two years...come on out and lend a hand. It's a great time for everyone!!!
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660

Quote Originally Posted by AKMuddy View Post
    I think that is a great idea!!!! I say we give your kids the parking lot area and the main trail out to the river bed. It is not that long so they could walk it. They could drop their filled trash bags along the main trail and I would be willing to drive the bags back up to the parking lot to dump them. I have a Rhino so we could load a lot of bags in the rear dump bed. That would give all the other folks more reason to head out a little farther and get more trash from the more remote areas.
    I have arranged with my national guard contacts and they said they would bring the spider tent out again and set up an area for all the BBQs to hang out in as well as bring some of their toys to help with the clean up. I think that the parking lot and the main trail would be a great idea as long as every one agrees to leave that to us it would work out GREAT! Would like to hear from the people that set this up so I can confirm this. So we can get it announced over the P.A. at the beginning of the clean up. Should be a great turn out I am going to be able to provide approx 30-50 cadets.

I am trying to find a way to get the Alaska Military youth academy to come out and do some community service. alot of those teens come out and play and some are the reason it gets trashed. It would be good for them to give back to the community. They are required to do 40 hours of community service while they are at the academy any ways. Is there any way we could designate an area that they would be resposible for since they will all be on foot? Is the National Guard going to be out there again this year? If so we can coordinate with them aswell. Since the academy is sponsored by them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AKMuddy View Post
    I have arranged with my national guard contacts and they said they would bring the spider tent out again and set up an area for all the BBQs to hang out in as well as bring some of their toys to help with the clean up. I think that the parking lot and the main trail would be a great idea as long as every one agrees to leave that to us it would work out GREAT! Would like to hear from the people that set this up so I can confirm this. So we can get it announced over the P.A. at the beginning of the clean up. Should be a great turn out I am going to be able to provide approx 30-50 cadets.
    Mike, can we make this happen?
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660

Default Jim Creek Cleanup

Definitely going to be there. Got it on the calendar.

Default Great responses!

First a little history on the Cleanup itself. Started in 2003 by the ATV Club we've gathered over 80 tons of trash so far. As the number of people helping out has gone up over the years the amount of trash gathered has decreased to and leveled at 9 tons in each of the last two years. People wise, we started out with 60 or so in 2003 and had 400 show up for the last 2 years. While we started out with shovels and rakes the first year, last year some people had trouble filling a bag of trash. People are having to go farther into the area to fill their bags. What this means is that we are making a difference out there, a big difference.
    The presence of the troopers, made possible through the Knik River Public Use Area legislation, has made an impact in lessening the trash. People using the area putting peer pressure in the trashers makes an impact. People finding the place clean to start with lessens the trashing.
    The local OHV clubs (the truck guys ) have been pulling the burnt car carcasses out for the last few years, even you PoPo Ranger guys can't do that! The Nat Guard did some bumper drags out there until they got busier helping out in other dusty places. Thanks to all these guys for doing the heavy metal we can't.
    We start the cleanup at 10 (Saturday May 22nd) at the Pavilion Parking area (just past the raceway), signing folks in and handing out trash bags. We have Dumpsters there and more trash bags if you need them . At 2 we start our BBQ lunch and at 3 we have a drawing for door prizes among everyone who signs in and brings back at least one bag of trash.
    Just a word on where this stuff comes from. We started with prizes donated by the ATV dealers but it has grown to include prizes donated from a large group of local companies. The people at these companies believe in what we are doing out there. Some of them believe a lot. Alaska Valve and Fitting has bought all the food we use for the last few years. Rizzo and Co is another big contributor. Walmart helps out with stuff and brings out a crowd of their own each year. Point here is that these aren't ATV based or even connected companies, they are local companies that feel helping people who are doing something concrete and physical to make things better is better than helping people who sit and talk about it. A lot of these companies ask us not to make a big deal of their help but we owe them a lot of gratitude for how much they do.
    We are trying to get a ride to the glacier set up after the drawing as a benefit for a charity. We'll let you know how this works out.
    We try to make the cleanup as much fun as we can but it is still picking up trash. It will be an object lesson for your kids, and a source of satisfaction for you to take part. Bring your family, bring your friends, bring your wheelers and make it a good time.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org

Mike,

I heard rumor that there might be a charity ride out to the glacier during the clean-up??? Can you provide any details as to when and how this might happen? I heard it was for breast cancer awareness..please correct me if I am wrong.

I would like to get involved. The cancer issue has impacted me greatly this year. So far this year, I have had one friend diagnosed with testicular cancer (currently doing well in treatment), had a high school friend (41 years of age) die from breast cancer, had a friend/co-worker's father die of cancer, and just yesterday have another friend/co-worker's father get diagnosed with cancer.

Any details would be appreciated.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660

I figured I would post this up here as well. I went out with Rockhound and Rich from the ATV club the other day and worked as many of the trails between the Pavilion Parking Lot and the bridge on the Old Palmer Hwy as we could get down. We were looking for large trash piles and the "larger" objects we could find so we can get folks pointed in the right direction during the cleanup. We found a couple cars (GPS marker 48 & 52), 3 or 4 washing machines (GPS marker 50), a TV (GPS marker 53), and a slide-in camper (GPS marker 49). We hope to go out at least one more time prior to the cleanup and see if we can mark some more items. We will try to concentrate on new areas since we have already hit the ones pictured.

A special thanks to Rockhound and Rich for letting me tag along.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660

u should mark the watr crossings in red on the gps map.
    Semper Fi!

There were no water crossing on that map. The blue lines are all trails.

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    u should mark the watr crossings in red on the gps map.
    What for???
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660

Default Charity ride with the Cleanup

Right now this isn't set in stone guys. We are looking into it and will do our best to make it happen but no promises right now.
    That said, if we do it, it will be on Sunday the 23rd so if you planned on using that day to recover from your exertions at the cleanup - you will be out of luck!
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org

Default Put this in Word and you might have a flyer!

Spring Jim Creek Cleanup
    at the New Knik River Public Use Area
    May 22, 2010 - 10AM until 4 PM

Sign in at the Pavilion Parking Lot

Help clean up the favorite ATV riding area in Alaska.
    Make a day of it with friends and family - work a little, play a little, meet new people and old friends and enjoy a fun and rewarding day! We supply the bags and trash disposal; you bring your gloves, your family and friends, sense of humor and favorite way to get around the area! Everyone who collects a bag of trash will be entered in the Door Prize Drawing and gets a plate at the BBQ!
    Cleanup starts at 10 AM, the BBQ starts at 2:00 PM with the Door Prize Drawing at 3 PM.
    Sponsored by the Alaska ATV Club with support from the MatSu Borough, DNR, and area businesses!

More info at www.alaskaatvclub.org or 222-7676

Pavilion Parking Area 10.5 miles north on the Old Glenn Hwy from the New Glenn Hwy turnoff, turn east (right) on Sullivan Ave (toward Raceway Park) 1.25 miles, parking area on the right.
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org

Despite all my best efforts I never seem to be able to make it out to any of these functions. According to the latest report I got I will still be basking in the hot desert sun while you guys are out having fun!!

Default I understand your plight LuJon!

We'll save you an empty bag and everyone will come out and watch you fill it when you do get back!
    Seriously, we appreciate and honor what you are doing.
    On the other hand, we could use a lifesize cutout of him to point the way to the grill or something....
    Thanks again LuJon.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast