Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 340 weatherby - i think i am in love with this rifle

Default 340 weatherby - i think i am in love with this rifle

Went to the range this morning to break in my New Krieger Criterion barrel on my Custom 340Wby. I have never in my life broke in a barrel as quick as this one. It only took 9 rounds, in fact it was broke in by the 8th round. That is right. By the 8th round it only required putting bore cleaner using two patches, then one patch with copper remover then one with bore cleaner again and the cooper came out and then a dry patch and the patch was clean as a whistle.

The I started shooting groups of three then I would clean again and guys it only took the procedure I mention above and Thor's Hammer was ready for the next group. It does not like 210gr Partitions or 210gr Siroccos but it likes 250gr Acuubonds. Now none of the loads I shot today were max loads. Yep, things are really looking good this early. I am excited to say the least.

Here is how it shot the 250gr Accubond using IMR7828 today group .657"

This rifle is not hard to shoot at all and recoil is not as strong with the 250gr bullets as my Ruger 338Win mag in that straight stock it has.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

340 weatherby - i think i am in love with this rifle

Looks as though you have good reason!

Congratulations, and I look forward to your further testing and reports.

Its always nice when a plan comes together. Looks like you gotta keeper.

I have always been a one load per gun guy. I wouldn't even worry about the 210's not shooting well. Your gonna ring the most thump outta that bruiser with the bigger bullets anyway. Keep us posted when ya kill something with it!

Looks like you have a dandy rifle there. Obviously you aren't in the Valley or Anchorage area. I showed up at Birchwood at 8:30 this morning with about the same thing in mind - barrel break-in and fire forming. The wind was blowing so hard you couldn't keep a target stand upright. I tried burying the target stand in the snow but it didn't do any good. I doubt the chronograph would have held up. I talked with four or five other guys who also turned around and went home. Sure is a waste of a day off! Oh well, I've got a few things to do on the reloading bench.
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

I wish you weren't such an irrational TSX-hater so I could find out how those do in your rifle. JK.

Hey, I just realized this was possible, and ordered a DGR drop-box mag for my 340 Accumark to allow 4+1 in the 340 Wby. Wby lady said it would fit. Appx $150. Love my MasterCard.

Did you double punch a hole or are those 2-shot groups?

Hard to tell on my monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenaimike View Post
    Did you double punch a hole or are those 2-shot groups?
    I double punched a hole but guys this is will not do, I promise it is going to get better by the time I get through doing load work.

Hey, I only shot 18 rounds today in cludling break in. You just wait, I ain't finished by any stretch of the imagination. You ain't seen nothing yet!!!!! I know from shooting it today and years of experience shooting rifles and reloading, this is a shooter. I will give you more caliper pictures, you can count on it and there will be some tight groups.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
    I wish you weren't such an irrational TSX-hater so I could find out how those do in your rifle. JK.

Hey, I just realized this was possible, and ordered a DGR drop-box mag for my 340 Accumark to allow 4+1 in the 340 Wby. Wby lady said it would fit. Appx $150. Love my MasterCard.

Hey, MarineHawk, I am so irrational about the TSX as a true hater of their product that I just might try some just for you. How is that for really hating the TSX. Really, I might just do that to see how accurate.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by Doug in Alaska View Post
    Looks like you have a dandy rifle there. Obviously you aren't in the Valley or Anchorage area. I showed up at Birchwood at 8:30 this morning with about the same thing in mind - barrel break-in and fire forming. The wind was blowing so hard you couldn't keep a target stand upright. I tried burying the target stand in the snow but it didn't do any good. I doubt the chronograph would have held up. I talked with four or five other guys who also turned around and went home. Sure is a waste of a day off! Oh well, I've got a few things to do on the reloading bench.
    I hope you will find a good day to shoot before long.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    Hey, MarineHawk, I am so irrational about the TSX as a true hater of their product that I just might try some just for you. How is that for really hating the TSX. Really, I might just do that to see how accurate.
    I was just razzing you. I would like to see how they compare.

I was just razzing you. I would like to see how they compare.
    Hey, I knew you were having fun and it was funny. But that said, I just might try some to compare velcoity and Accuracy as long as you do not require that I take them into the field.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Hey, I knew you were having fun and it was funny. But that said, I just might try some to compare velcoity and Accuracy as long as you do not require that I take them into the field.
    Very good. Take those flimsy Noslers and watch them expode on the surface of the skin of a rabbit! Just kidding (again).

Seriously, is it an accuracy issue for you or do they not open up enough at certain velocities in your experience? Or did some guy named Barnes insult your family once and you think it might be the same guy who makes the TTSXs?

I like the NPs for accuracy, but I've never shot anything with them. But my guide said they did not open up twice in the 210gr factory loads from hiw 338 WM at about 150yds. I know that's second hand and annecdotal. I have had good luck with the 180gr TSXs out of my 300 Win Mag. But, again, that just annecdotal.

Also, how good is the Accubond at penetrating? I have no opinion, but I am more concerned about that that than with a partitioned (NP, A-Frame) bullet or a solid copper (like the TSX, TTSX, MRX, E-Tip, etc...). For example, (and I know I am going a bit astray here), there are some good-on-paper 375 H&H and 378 Wby loads with the 260 Accubond. They seem like perfect N.A. rounds. Except I was wondering what they do when they hit bone at 2,700fps - 3,100fps. I don't know enough about whether the "bonding" really means that much or not at high velocities like that.

IF the TSX's have not opened up enough for you, have you tried the TTSXs? They are supposed to do more. Also, when hunting big animals, staying together is better than the opposite right? This would also hold try as a rebutal to my guide's concern about the NP. I did read hundreds of links to each bullet on some reloading forum. Most of the comments were positive both for the TSX and the NP about actual perofmance in animals. But the TSXs had about half the negative comments as the NPs (as a ratio; not as a total number).

Just asking questions. I have my own tentative opinions, but I would like to learn more or be disabused of any fale impressions I have. My experience probably is not as extensive as yours.

I am watching your load development with great interest bear, interesting views on bullets here, i dont have any first hand experience with Barnes bullets, but i have heard of under expansion issues with the barnes bullets.

Honestly cant say i have ever read a bad review from a nosler partition except the somewhat low Balistic coeficient. I have used nosler partitions, with outstanding field performance.

Cartridge was a .338 WM, bullet was 225 grain NP, bull elk at 20 yards, one shot clipped one lung and hit the liver, full pass through, second shot was at the base of the tail (pooper shot) and exited the neck, the only bloodshot meat i had was on the neck roast. The shot that passed through the lung and liver left a .338 inch dia entrance hole, and had a 50 cent sized hole going out the other side with simular terminal performance. The exit hole out of the neck was about the size of a 50 cent peice as well.

That being said, many people in my family have had great results using Barnes bullets. I would perfer the NP just because i have gaurenteed expansion on anything bigger than a deer.

Very good. Take those flimsy Noslers and watch them expode on the surface of the skin of a rabbit! Just kidding (again).

Seriously, is it an accuracy issue for you or do they not open up enough at certain velocities in your experience? Or did some guy named Barnes insult your family once and you think it might be the same guy who makes the TTSXs?

I like the NPs for accuracy, but I've never shot anything with them. But my guide said they did not open up twice in the 210gr factory loads from hiw 338 WM at about 150yds. I know that's second hand and annecdotal. I have had good luck with the 180gr TSXs out of my 300 Win Mag. But, again, that just annecdotal.

Also, how good is the Accubond at penetrating? I have no opinion, but I am more concerned about that that than with a partitioned (NP, A-Frame) bullet or a solid copper (like the TSX, TTSX, MRX, E-Tip, etc...). For example, (and I know I am going a bit astray here), there are some good-on-paper 375 H&H and 378 Wby loads with the 260 Accubond. They seem like perfect N.A. rounds. Except I was wondering what they do when they hit bone at 2,700fps - 3,100fps. I don't know enough about whether the "bonding" really means that much or not at high velocities like that.

IF the TSX's have not opened up enough for you, have you tried the TTSXs? They are supposed to do more. Also, when hunting big animals, staying together is better than the opposite right? This would also hold try as a rebutal to my guide's concern about the NP. I did read hundreds of links to each bullet on some reloading forum. Most of the comments were positive both for the TSX and the NP about actual perofmance in animals. But the TSXs had about half the negative comments as the NPs (as a ratio; not as a total number).

Just asking questions. I have my own tentative opinions, but I would like to learn more or be disabused of any fale impressions I have. My experience probably is not as extensive as yours.
    The TSX did not preform well in my 257Wby, 7mmSTW, 30-06, 300Wby in the field like the Partition or as the accubonds have. I tried them for four years in four cartridges and I was not pleased at all and very little blood trail and in some cases none to follow at all. Some love them, some swear by them, I swear at them.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Looks like some great results BT. Will be very interested in your follow on development. Did you say once you were thinking of trying some GS's in it???

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Looks like some great results BT. Will be very interested in your follow on development. Did you say once you were thinking of trying some GS's in it???
    If I get around to it and can afford it I will try the TSX and GS only to compare accuracy and velocity to standard rounds and note the difference.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by Barkbuster20 View Post
    ..... Honestly cant say i have ever read a bad review from a nosler partition except the somewhat low Balistic coeficient. ...
    They actually seem to have a very good ballistic coefficient in most bullets. E.g., the .338 250gr NP has a BC of 0.473, and the 180gr .308 NP has a BC of 0.453. Once you get well into the .400s, that's a pretty good BC for shooting at any normal hunting range.

As far as reviews, there are plenty of ammo (figuratively) for both sides:

Here: http://www.reloadersnest.com/review_result.asp?Bullet=Nosler%20Partition

Here: http://www.reloadersnest.com/review_...t=Barnes%20TSX

And here: http://www.reloadersnest.com/review_...=Barnes%20ttsx

I don't have any axe to grind or opinion to make. I'm seriously just interested in experiences and others' opinions.

For me, I have ended up with so many boxes of 340 Wby Cor-Bon 225gr TTSX That I'm stuck with them for the moment. I ordered three of the first boxes that came out through Midway, and they put me on backorder for another three. Then, I went to Cor-Bon and ordered three directly. I forgot to cancel my backorder from Midway. Now I have seven boxes left.

They do seem to be accurate and, with a BC of 0.514, should do the following, which is pretty impressive to me:

Yds / Vel. / Impact / Energy / Drift
    000 / 3100/ -1.75 / 4801 / 0.00

050 / 2999 / 0.83 / 4494 / 0.57
    100 / 2905 / 2.42 / 4216 / 0.98
    150 / 2813 / 3.00 / 3954 / 1.68
    200 / 2723 / 2.47 / 3705 / 2.67
    250 / 2635 / 0.75 / 3469 / 3.97
    300 / 2548 / -2.21 / 3244 / 5.58
    350 / 2464 / -6.53 / 3033 / 7.53
    400 / 2381 / -12.27 / 2832 / 9.84
    450 / 2301 / -19.55 / 2645 / 12.51
    500 / 2222 / -28.49 / 2467 / 15.56

One of the things I see in the reviews above and elsewhere are complaints of both bullets not opening up enough. Unless I'm missing something (I'm open to ideas), I think, for my brown bear hunt, shooting a 340 Wby or possibly a 416 Wby or Rigby, at thsoe velocities (2,700fps-3,100fps) and at such a big game, I am worried less about either of those bullets not opening up enough as opposed to opening up too much and losing too much mass/penetration too early. But I'm just talking theory.

If I get around to it and can afford it I will try the TSX and GS only to compare accuracy and velocity to standard rounds and note the difference.
    I hope you can afford it, I would love to see the results

We will see, I will try not to let folks down on my reloading work. Just give me plenty of time.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast