Thread: Brass Sorter

Default Brass Sorter

Anyone have one of one type or another?

I have access to THOUSANDS of rounds of brass of various calibers. I'm wondering how y'all sort your brass quickly and accurately.

I've come up with a design that would be reasonable to make.

Any thoughts?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Shortwave View Post
    Anyone have one of one type or another?

I have access to THOUSANDS of rounds of brass of various calibers. I'm wondering how y'all sort your brass quickly and accurately.

I've come up with a design that would be reasonable to make.

Any thoughts?
    Brass sorters= Nimble fingered munchkins that can read at the headstamp level.
    Now what ?

Default Brass Sorters...

I don't usually get large vessels of mixed brass anymore but when sorting the various headstamps out of the brass polisher I use grand kids when available.

They take a little longer and make a mess with the media, what with sticking the 9mms and fortys on the fingers and pretending to be "monsters". Oh and the 375s on the fingers are really scary, but they are usually done with all of it before they get bored. Then they want to go shoot their 22's.

They seem to make good brass sorters until about the age of ten then it is much too tame, they want to bust things with the rifle.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Talking Gladware

I use the imitation gladware. It is cheap and you can snap the lid on and stack all the containers on a shelf or in a box. I write with a sharpie on the lid to denoten cartridge and lot number. You can even keep track of how many times you reload each lot right on the lid. And gladware comes in different sizes so you can use a small one for the 223 and a big one for the 458. Just don't put the brass in wet and snap on the lid

Default One of these days...

I'm going to get 'round to taking a piece of 1/4" plywood, perhaps ten inches to a foot long, maybe five or six wide, and breaking out the router to make some longitudinal slots that would correspond to the size of the cartridges I want to capture. Use it as a sort of 'sluice box' contraption where the smaller pieces would fall through as I rocked it back and forth. Oh, it'd need some sides on it. I've seen a similar sort of arrangement for collating cartridges for the rimfire magazine loaders advertised. One of these days....till then, I turn the radio on, have a cup o' joe sitting there, and proceed to sort through them by hand.