Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Springfield 1911 opinions wanted

Default Springfield 1911 opinions wanted

I currently carry a XD .45 and after reading the Kimber discussion going on was wondering what the opinions were on the Sprinfield 1911s. I only personally know one that owns one, but the price seems right and I couldn't be happier with my XD. Although it's not one, or even number two yet on my firearms wish list I would like pick up a 1911 someday in the future.

I own a SS "mil-spec". Never has jammed with any type of ammo. As a stock gun I think it is the best 1911 out there. (IMO) I've owned a few (unhappy with them) but will never sell this one.

Third world steel and MIM'd parts. But better customer service than Kimber

Buy a Colt.

I hear a lot about how parts are made, and understand the differences. My question is, has there been documented increased failure rate in say, cast slides vs. forged, or MIM parts specifically failing in a Kimber or a Springfield at a higher rate than the same parts in another makers pistols? I'm talking real world data and not just Internet ramblings. I realize you are going to get better percieved quality with different manufacturing techniques, but how much real world difference does it make?
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Quote Originally Posted by blackfoot View Post
    I hear a lot about how parts are made, and understand the differences. My question is, has there been documented increased failure rate in say, cast slides vs. forged, or MIM parts specifically failing in a Kimber or a Springfield at a higher rate than the same parts in another makers pistols? I'm talking real world data and not just Internet ramblings. I realize you are going to get better percieved quality with different manufacturing techniques, but how much real world difference does it make?
    I always wonder the same thing....

There's ALWAYS the law of diminishing returns. Like the S&B short dot....I'm sure its a great optic, but c'mon....

I don't own stock in any of the 1911 companies. Nor do I personally have any for sale. That being said, I've sold many, many Springfield and Kimber 1911's, hundreds over 20 years in a full time shop. In my experience the failure rate is statistically insignificant with either brand. Prices are comparable between the two for pistols with similar features. I have observed that malfunctions seem to increase with the slide getting shorter. I doubt that anyone reputable has ever done a study on the failure rates between the two. My advice would be to choose the pistol that has the features you want, Springfield or Kimber, and let that be the deciding factor. It's always less expensive to have the bells and whistles already on the gun than to add them later. Don't let the phrase "match grade" lead you astray, it's just a marketing ploy. They are both very good products and should give a lifetime of service.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Default ya got me...

I have had one of the "enhanced" Springfield Govt. Model's since they first came out. It is a basic gun and has had thousands of rounds through it and it sets close to my bed. I trust it. I think the FBI contracted with Springfield for some 1911's. So the slide and frame and some of the parts must be acceptable. My son-in-law has one of the early Kimber Govt. Models. It works great. Colt has had plenty of problems with quality control, so has Kimber, S&W and darn near every hand gun maker. Seems like they do fine for awhile and then they start making new models and eventually the quality control issues arise.

Default Maybe...

Wildalaska, I plan to visit your store when I get back anyway. Maybe you can talk me into something that goes nice with blue jeans and hiking boots.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    Colt has had plenty of problems with quality control, so has Kimber, S&W and darn near every hand gun maker. Seems like they do fine for awhile and then they start making new models and eventually the quality control issues arise.
    If company X makes that many of ANY product, problems will arise. Nobody is immune to a few hiccups. I'd love to have a Kimber/Springfield 1911 someday...

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    If company X makes that many of ANY product, problems will arise. Nobody is immune to a few hiccups. I'd love to have a Kimber/Springfield 1911 someday...
    I agree. I have had no problems with two Kimbers that I've had. Have about 1000 rounds through my Pro CDP without a failure. It seems every time Kimber is mentioned on this forum there are three people that jump in and start bashing, so reading past posts you would think they are complete junk. That's how "Internet Research" gets skewed. A couple of people posting all kinds of negatives on every forum they can find. So the argument of, "just google Kimber problems and you'll see they are junk" just doesn't hold water. You can google "Rolex Problems", "Mercedez Problems", "Rolls Royce Problems", etc and you would think that nobody can make anything right. Maybe they are junk, but I like mine and haven't had any problems. I would like to know if somebody isn't a Kimber dealer, how do they know how many guns are sold vs. how many have defects? And if somebody isn't a Kimber dealer, don't you think they would push you into something that isn't a Kimber?
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Quote Originally Posted by blackfoot View Post
    I agree. I have had no problems with two Kimbers that I've had. Have about 1000 rounds through my Pro CDP without a failure. It seems every time Kimber is mentioned on this forum there are three people that jump in and start bashing, so reading past posts you would think they are complete junk. That's how "Internet Research" gets skewed. A couple of people posting all kinds of negatives on every forum they can find. So the argument of, "just google Kimber problems and you'll see they are junk" just doesn't hold water. You can google "Rolex Problems", "Mercedez Problems", "Rolls Royce Problems", etc and you would think that nobody can make anything right. Maybe they are junk, but I like mine and haven't had any problems. I would like to know if somebody isn't a Kimber dealer, how do they know how many guns are sold vs. how many have defects? And if somebody isn't a Kimber dealer, don't you think they would push you into something that isn't a Kimber?
    I am not a kimber dealer. I am not a gun dealer. I am just a guy who likes to buy guns. I had two bad kimbers in the same year. After dealing with their lowsy customer service and failing to fix the problems with my guns, I have decided to move on to other brands. Just real world experience. No secondary gain here. Sometimes the truth about kimbers hurts.

Point is that people have bad experiences with all kinds of products. Unless you can see a big enough sample, there is no way to know what the actual quality or reliability is. In the auto industry they have actual statistics of quality and reliability. Large user groups (such as oil companies) keep there own statistics so they can make better purchasing decisions based on maintenance costs and failure rates. Don't know of anybody except the military that keeps statistics on guns, and I don't know if they have tested the brands of which we speak? So what is the truth? You have had a couple bad ones, I have had a couple good ones. That's all we can truthfully say, not that Kimbers sucks or is worse than Colt or Springfield or anything else. I really don't care either way and I don't know who the truth hurts, but I think the pursuit of the truth is more important than anyones feelings or bias.

Maybe they are junk, but I like mine and haven't had any problems.
    Is that why you are getting so worked up about the subject?

We sell guns. We want our customers to have quality because we stand behind whyat we sell. If we wanted to sell Kimbers, we could write them a check and put their products in.

We choose not to because we dont like to sell stuff to folks that is likely to come back and bite us in the ass. So we dont stock Taurus, Savage, HiPoints, Kimbers, Bersas, Chinese Knock offs etc. We think that those brands just arent as good as competing brands. 15-20 years ago, Colt was coming close to being one of those brands, but they sucked it up and are now simply destroying their competition with quality

If that makes me be an elitist or arrogant or whatever little invective some folks have tossed at me in the past so be it. If that makes you not want to come visit us, Oh well. My karma mandates that our customers leave satisfied and stay satisfied, so we pick the brands that are more likely to achieve that end.

Got two Buffalo Bore 460 rounds on my desk right now, both with extreme pressure signs and blown primers. Anothyer brand we pass on.

Not sure how you think I'm getting worked up. Just asking specific questions nobody seems to be able to or want to answer. I've heard stories of awesome customer service and stories of bad customer service, from just about every maker. Being in the customer service industry you should know that there are wack jobs out there that will bad mouth you because you didn't kiss their feet and give them a free lollipop, so you'll hear negative about every company. So, back to, what are the actual failure or defect rates? Nobody knows.

Two bad guns in a row from the same company is enough for me to move on to another brand. Bad luck? Maybe, but I will no longer waste my money with kimber. The dealer I got the kimbers from, told me that they were considering not ordering anymore because they had to send so many back. I wonder if kimber would even be willing to share their failure rates with you. I really don't care, because, I have moved on to a wilson.

Can't speak for Kimber 1911's, but I've had a Springfield Armory Champion .45 for 6 years. Flawless function right out of the box. Shoots all rounds into a ragged hole at 10-12 yards. I like my SA and would definitely buy another one.

I have had a springfield 1911 for about 10 years and it has functioned perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by seant View Post
    I have had a springfield 1911 for about 10 years and it has functioned perfectly.

Ha! Now I know your secret. You will never live it down!!!

"Hey Sean, buddy, want to shoot my SIG 210? Naw, why bother you got a Springfield Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahaha"

Dont keep it in the same safe as the Wilson, it might lead to cross contamination...like you will be shooting the Wilson AND THE SLIDE WILL BREAK IN HALF (seen that one on a Springfield) or the firing pin WILL FALL OUT (seen that one) or it will JAM UP TIGHTER THAN A LIBERALS MIND (seen that one), or the thumb safety will JUST BREAK (seen that one) OR THE SLIDE STOP WILL BREAK LAUNCHING THE SLIDE DOWNRANGE (very cool), etc etc

But they are better than Kimbers

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post

But they are better than Kimbers
    I agree, the springfield is definately a better gun than a Kimber.

Hey, didn't you try to sell me a 9mm EMP a couple of months ago?

Bought a Kimber stainless Gold Match about 1 year after they first came out. It is shot on a regular basis. Am guessing it is about 10 years old but not sure. Without a doubt it is the most accurate .45 I've ever owned and I can not ever remember it jamming or failing to feed.
    Owned a couple of Ruger .45's and all had problems. Some were returned to the factory and the FTF's were less but were still there. All Rugers were sold and replaced by a S&W M&P which has performed perfect to date.
    Want to add another and this time around it will be a Springfield basic model.
    Tennessee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast