Thread: Unusual Kodiak Weather?

Default Unusual Kodiak Weather?

Been watching the weather over on Kodiak this winter. Seems unusually warm? ANy of you guys over there think so, is there concern that the later snows might be hard and deep?

Default Definitely warmer

Yeah it's raining hard yesterday, foggy today and feels like we are over the hump on winter, but it's ONLY February !

Has definitely been warmer, I've only shoveled snow twice all winter and yes, we are wondering if we are going to get dumped on a few times this spring, ...as we usually do.

Real Nice for the Blacktails, not sure what the effect will be with light snowpack on everything else? There does seem to be a lot of white up high but haven't been up high to see how deep it is it hasn't been any drier than usual

Seems Very Wierd to me, my fifteenth winter here

Tho was out offshore for most of those where we don't notice snow pack much ..this does seem much warmer than average

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

we are noticing also... mid 20's and low 30's here in fairbanks in mid Febuary... is absolutly unheard of. looks like winter is running east of us this year.. ( knock on wood)
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Actually it's more normal. The last 2 or 3 years were colder than normal, with many years before that warm and wet. With few exceptions it really hasn't been all that cold in Kodiak since the mid- 70's. Good for the deer, so the population should recover fairly quickly from the last 2 or 3 years of cold.

The start of the warm spell back in the mid-70's is what produced those years of 7 deer limits. Then the first cold winter hit, and it knocked the deer hard. Given 3 or 4 more winters like this one and the limit will likely wil work its way back up to 7.

Stop teasing me BrownBear!

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Actually it's more normal. The last 2 or 3 years were colder than normal, with many years before that warm and wet. With few exceptions it really hasn't been all that cold in Kodiak since the mid- 70's.

my armchair meteorologists input:

there is no chance for another deep freeze in interior ak this winter. not a 2-3 week spell. maybe a few days near 20 below in fairbanks. i wouldn't be surprised if that didn't even happen. Maybe up on the yukon flats, but even there it has been incredibly warm this winter, bet the folks on the yukon quest just are loving it.

The way that the arctic oscillation has been behaving greatly dilutes its potency in terms of extreme cold air generation. Basically the arctic air consistently this winter has been diluted over a much larger continental area, which is why we are seeing repeat snows in the southeast Us in particular....and very low snow levels over all of alaska, with the exception of the upslope areas.

The weather service is predicting the current weather pattern will hold through the weekend, which puts us a lot closer to the end of february.

don't know about you in fairbanks but there is heat in the sun here in the matanuska valley.

i would concur that the deer will be loving it, and the moose are probably enjoying things as well. the problem is it hasn't been cold enough to scare the cheechakos into going back down south.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

andweav, what i am worried about is a -30 April like 04... old man winter don't give up on us that easy
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

never say never.

which means sometimes you can, right?

http://pafc.arh.noaa.gov/panctemps.php

this chart of long term mean daily high and low temperatures for anchorage shows extreme low temps of -20 F extending into the first few days of April.

You can change the year to 2009 or earlier.

Notice we ran above average temps for virtually all of October.

High temperature records were set it looks like 4 days in 2009...one day of the big january thaw, 2 days in early may, one day in July, and one day in october.

I'm not mentioning this to promote any agenda other than that I think it's interesting and want to share this resource.

some winters, such as 2002-2003, are notable for temperatures well above average for virtually the entire winter...much more extreme than this winter. but this has been a pretty darn mild winter.

Default mild winter

As some have stated, the mild winter might be good for the deer but a weak snow pack is hell on salmon and their future survival. The only way to eke through a weak snowpack winter is to get lots of timely rains. Sometimes we get the rain when we need it, sometimes not. Just a thought. The best combo is a large snowpack for the sake of salmon where the is a forgiving environment at lower elevations for good winter survival of deer.

Default Might be deep up there

AKDeerslayer,
    Good insight on the big picture
    this might be happening this winter as it looks heavy up high (not spotty anyway the snow pack I mean) and has rained plenty but been warm enough to not stick down low

Anyone been up on the mtns of Kodiak skiing who can give a report on the snow depth you enjoyed, or suffered through? Snowmachiners also out there?

the flooded rivers of this past fall might do more damage on salmon runs than the lack of snow will. i know the river in the bay i was working was flushed clean out, i saw six fish, usually there are closer to a hundred, eggs were washed out, dang near everything was washed out.
    I'm sure the deer are smiling right now, i was loads of fawns this past fall, two good winters in a row would be awesome!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    the flooded rivers of this past fall might do more damage on salmon runs than the lack of snow will. i know the river in the bay i was working was flushed clean out, i saw six fish, usually there are closer to a hundred, eggs were washed out, dang near everything was washed out.
    I'm sure the deer are smiling right now, i was loads of fawns this past fall, two good winters in a row would be awesome!
    That's what I like to hear! Hopefully I can put a few of those deer in my freezer to offset the cost of my Kodiak hunt.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!