Thread: What to get to fill a void and let the kids shoot?

Default What to get to fill a void and let the kids shoot?

Let's just say you have a hand full of 22LR, a couple 223 a 22-250 for preditor hunting. For your hunting rifles you got 243,270,30-06,325wsm,300 win mag and a 338 win. You feel you have most things covered but now your kids are gettng to be close to hunting age. You do not feel like giving up any of you guns so you are in the market for a new youth rifle. What are your thaugts as what to get? The 243 is a great gun and does not kick to bad for the littleones. 260 and 257 are good as well but not so common to find rounds. Think a 308 would be to much for a eight year old once she gets to that age?
    Most hunting will be deer and once they get older elk but that is when they get to receive a new hunting rifle again. Not thinking of shotties becuse there are enougf of them in the safe to go around a few times.

I like to set kids up with a light recoiling rifle that they will enjoy shooting and become proficient with while having a good time. Another thing to consider is that if they learn with one rifle and get comfortable with it they might want to use it for hunting because of the comfort level and familiarity, that being a good reason in my eyes to get them a suitable rifle for big game from the gitgo. I set my 2 younger female cousins up with rifles when they displayed an interest in the outdoors, nothing better for soon to be teenagers than a love of hunting and the outdoors. In considering calibers for them I wanted light recoil and enough power for the largest game they might have the opportunity to hunt, which where they live would be elk. The first one received a 7-08 and the other got a 30-30, both in small correctly sized rifles or more accurately carbines. I have one more of them to outfit with a rifle here in the next year or two and I think she too will be getting a 30-30 for the simple fact that she can share ammo with here older sister.

Lever action 30/30
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Having been down the road myself, I'm hoping you're a dedicated reloader. You can adjust most rounds to suit them, as you also shoot cheap enough so they can do lots. Rifle fit for their small frames means as much as the hole in the pipe.

Don't overlook the "psychology" of rounds too, what they look like to a kid. If they look "big" the kid is naturally going to be a little leery. My own kids' favorite for quite a while was the 250 Savage, because the 243 was "too big." Go figure. But they shot the 250 so much better, I had to listen to them. Long about the time they turned 12 or so, they got real excited about bigger calibers and exploring my gun safe, but when they were 8 or so, they were still pretty tentative. Noise was as important as recoil, too.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Having been down the road myself, I'm hoping you're a dedicated reloader. You can adjust most rounds to suit them, as you also shoot cheap enough so they can do lots. Rifle fit for their small frames means as much as the hole in the pipe.

Don't overlook the "psychology" of rounds too, what they look like to a kid. If they look "big" the kid is naturally going to be a little leery. My own kids' favorite for quite a while was the 250 Savage, because the 243 was "too big." Go figure. But they shot the 250 so much better, I had to listen to them. Long about the time they turned 12 or so, they got real excited about bigger calibers and exploring my gun safe, but when they were 8 or so, they were still pretty tentative. Noise was as important as recoil, too.
    Exactly the reason i started reloading!

mine all shoot the 223,243,270, .44 mag also well enough now, i started them ~8 with a 22 to learn the form and BASICs of shooting with sight. and moved them up to scopes etc. i have yet another springing up this year into the 22 range and one coming from the states( hunt buddies grand son) to teach.. being 14 we got him an .06 from a forum member to learn to hunt with..

I build managed recoil loads for all the kids that need them, and slip some good stuff in once in awhile to keep them growing... That and like me they never notice it when pointed at game.

also... i think there are times i want them to shoot more then they them selfs want to... so patience...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I don't think you can beat the 7-08 for a youngster. I got one for my wife as she isn't fond of recoil. I load light loads for her to use on the bench and load a hotter load for to use in the field. Point of impact isn't much different between the two loads so she doesn't know the difference. I've used the 7-08 a few times myself for whitetail hunting and it really is a sweet little rifle. I started my oldest son out on a 30-06 and the youngest on a 7mm Mag (for some reason he seemed to enjoy the recoil). He still shoot the 7 Mag and shoots it very well. If I had it all to do over again I'd probably start them both with a 7-08. Oh well, there's always grandson to think about now.

JMHO of course.
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Thanks for the advice 7-06 sounds interesting. I will dig out the reloading book and look it over. Yes we reload my little girl can do all of it herself with supervision from age 5. She started by sitting on my lap before elk season when she was 3. What do you all think of 25-06?
    I have tons of 06 brass and 270 brass. Would like to be able
    to use it if possible. I hope they grow to love bunting and the outdoors as much as I. I am thinking of taking her preditor hunting Maybe cyote or fox soon. Just need to dust off the foxpro and find a decent spot to go.

If I were in your shoes I would probably go with a 243 or 25-06. The 7-08 is a great cartridge but it might be a little much for an 8 year old? The 243 has almost no kick and the 25-06 shooting factory ammo is a very mild sweet shooting rifle. Have you let her shoot your 243 yet? I think that would be a good way to guage her. Hope you both have a lot of fun.

Good shooting,

Mark

I started my oldest boy with a rem 700 sps youth model .243. The shorter stock is essential for them to learn proper form. The .243 has mild enough recoil for a new shooter, and with proper bullets will cleanly take blacktails and caribou.

Since you already have a .243, there is the plus of common ammo. A handloader can download other chamberings with lighter bullets, but it can be tough to get top accuracy with the stubby bullets. I've downloaded my .308 with 110 and 125 gr bullets and it's hit and miss getting good accuracy. Also the recoil can still be a bit much.

My diminutive 12 year old has a Weatherby youth rifle in .308. Great little rifle with a great selection of youth loads in the hornady manual. There are starter loads then deer size game loads up to full power.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Doug in Alaska View Post
    I don't think you can beat the 7-08 for a youngster. I got one for my wife as she isn't fond of recoil. I load light loads for her to use on the bench and load a hotter load for to use in the field. Point of impact isn't much different between the two loads so she doesn't know the difference. I've used the 7-08 a few times myself for whitetail hunting and it really is a sweet little rifle. I started my oldest son out on a 30-06 and the youngest on a 7mm Mag (for some reason he seemed to enjoy the recoil). He still shoot the 7 Mag and shoots it very well. If I had it all to do over again I'd probably start them both with a 7-08. Oh well, there's always grandson to think about now.

JMHO of course.

The 7mm-08 is a great round. You can load a 140gr bullet down to the 2300-2400fps range and still have an excellent 200yd cartridge. You can comfortably step up your child's tolerance in recoil with your current stable of guns to the 7mm-08 level easily.

As she grows and becomes comfortable to handle full strength loads, she'll have a cartridge with a wide range of bullet weights readily available and capable of taking coyotes to moose.

Default 7.62x39mm

7.62x39mm, ammo is relatively inexpensive so lots of practice time at the range. Ruger, Remington and CZ all make bolt action rifles for this cartridge.

Quote Originally Posted by monthunter View Post
    Let's just say you have a hand full of 22LR, a couple 223 a 22-250 for preditor hunting. For your hunting rifles you got 243,270,30-06,325wsm,300 win mag and a 338 win. You feel you have most things covered but now your kids are gettng to be close to hunting age. You do not feel like giving up any of you guns so you are in the market for a new youth rifle. What are your thaugts as what to get? The 243 is a great gun and does not kick to bad for the littleones. 260 and 257 are good as well but not so common to find rounds. Think a 308 would be to much for a eight year old once she gets to that age?
    Most hunting will be deer and once they get older elk but that is when they get to receive a new hunting rifle again. Not thinking of shotties becuse there are enougf of them in the safe to go around a few times.
    I'm in the same boat as you.....I'm about to pick my son his first rifle. He has a 22lr.....but it's time for a big game rifle and I'm only going to do so one time. I'm going with a 308. I'll handload 110 grain target ammo with starting load charges.......with a bunch of surplus brass.....it's about the cheapest target ammo you'll ever find. with a quick change of the stock (when he's older).........he can continue to use this rifle here in Alaska for the rest of his life. I didn't want to get him something below 30 caliber, but didnt want recoil to be overwhelming.......hence the 308.

I know where there is a good clean Savage 110 in 243 for $275. Since its for a kid I would pay the shipping to you. If you have an FFL holder in the area that cares much about the importance of getting the next generation involved then he'd probably do a 4473 for little or nothing! I'll even put a scope on it for you if your interested for $275.

The highlight of my last 2 years of deer hunting involved seeing a 12 year old hunter come of age in the deer woods. Its been a lot of years since I got that big of a kick out of putting a tag on a deer!

I have three boys and plan on having them build their own first centerfire rifles. I will start them out at 7 with a stripped lower reciever marked "multi Cal" and a parts kit then sit down with them and go step by step through the build. At 8 or 9 I plan on ordering them a 6.8 SPC upper and having them work up their own handloads for it. The AR platform is hard to beat when it comes to growing with a kid, the availability of 6 pos adjustable stocks makes a perfect fit just a click away.

Sounds like a great idea LuJon.