Thread: first feather-footed fowl

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Default first feather-footed fowl

Stomped the hills for a few hours in snow shoes trying to bag my first ptarmi. I saw tracks everywhere, but couldn't find a bird. I'm getting a dog in a couple of weeks, hopefully that will help.

I strapped on my snowboard to get back to the highway quickly and sure enough within 30 seconds a rock ptarmigan came out from underneath a rock. It walked a few feet, but it wouldn't flush for anything. I just stayed strapped in the snowboard, set down the 12 guage, assembled the single shot 22 and dropped it from 10 whole yards.

Look close, it's dead center.

Congrats! I recently took my first (and second) in what looks like the same area. First was a whitetailed and second was a willow. If yours is a rock, it looks like all three are available in the same general area - pretty cool.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

I think you're right - white tailed. I'm gonna blame it on sleep deprivation because that night I got home and worked on my car until 2 am.

That and the pictures on http://www.wc.adfg.state.ak.us/index...me.whitetailed aren't that great.

Very cool, I have been completely baffled by the white birds. I've got a few more trips in me so I haven't given up hope yet!

Hares on the other hand, holy smokes I've got just about all I can eat this year.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!