View Poll Results: Do you agree with the MAT valleys vote?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    11 22.45%
  • No

    35 71.43%
  • Don't care

    3 6.12%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Thread: MAT Valley Vote!!!

  1. #1
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    I am Valley trash.
    Posts
    589

    Default MAT Valley Vote!!!

    A lot of talk about the MAT valley vote the other night.

    I was going to print out the other thread and bring it to our meeting but I would rather keep it simple. Please vote and post a comment on what you think about this situation both pro's and con's are welcome.

    I would rather not have a debate on this thread. Just post your comment and be done. I will print the results of the poll and all comments and forward it to the rest of the AC. Our next meeting is on the 24th at the MTA building in Palmer (by the fair grounds) at 7pm.

    Troy

  2. #2
    Member sledhands's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    244

    Default Vote comment

    Zachary Gilman Wasilla Ak

    I support the vote!
    Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.
    - General George S. Patton

  3. #3

    Thumbs up

    The vote was absolutely the correct way to bring about the needed changes. You have to get the attention of the policy makers and bring equality back into the regulations and law. I fully support your actions and you should sleep well, knowing you have attempted to the right the wrong. Two thumbs up.

    PS: Don't pay attention to the naysayers comments. They are the devils advocate's on every issue.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sledhands View Post
    Zachary Gilman Wasilla Ak

    I support the vote!
    SH,
    Come back and vote, I am not seeing where you voted in the poll, just commented.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  5. #5
    Member sledhands's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    244

    Default my vote

    yes the actions taken by our AC were bold and needed. I give them a thumbs up. I have also written our local lawmakers and made them "aware " of the vote.
    Why they should support it.

    Asked them what they planned on doing to back the AC stand.

    What was currently in the works on the issue.

    Representative_Carl_Gatto@legis.state.ak.us

    Representative_Bill_Stoltze@legis.state.ak.us

    Representative_Wes_Keller@legis.state.ak.us

    Senator_Charlie_Huggins@legis.state.ak.us

    Rep.Mark.Neuman@legis.state.ak.us

    and a few more
    Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.
    - General George S. Patton

  6. #6
    Member sledhands's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    244

    Default One more

    Here is linds menards e-mail

    Senator_Linda_Menard@legis.state.ak.us

    Her and Charlie Huggins are the senate reps for the valley

    Mark Neumann, Bill Stoltze, Carl Gatto and Wes keller are the house representatives. I went to school , road the bus, and ate lunch with Bill for four years but he never seems to answer e-mails Good luck with him.
    Mark Neumann usually answers almost immediately leave him a phone # he usually calls.

    These are our representatives in the valley there districts split 14A.
    Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.
    - General George S. Patton

  7. #7
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Again i will say NO, due to the reason behind it... had this vote been NO due to a real biological concern then there would be no bearing of it...

    The indigenous peoples of this country are GOING to get privileges you wont agree with. simple as that.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,085

    Default No

    Short sided with repercussions to follow. Ballot box management is wrong whether it's greenies voting to end hound hunting or hunters voting to close cow hunting to end potlatch hunting. The more politics is involved in hunting, the more screwed up it will become. And that's the way some want it.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    90

    Default

    NO. the prescription did not fit the illness. i believe someone already mentioned...cutting off the nose to spite the face. very disappointed.

  10. #10
    Member bushrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Now residing in Fairbanks from the bush
    Posts
    4,363

    Default

    I dropped a line to a couple of legislators too. I think you guys are gonna be surprised with any replies.

    I voted NO.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    fishhook, ak
    Posts
    1,124

    Default

    thanks for the simplicity of the poll troy.

    i am a resident of the matanuska valley and I vote No.

    This decision was not in the best interests of mat-su residents.


    If you have concrete ideas regarding reform of the potlatch system that are based in reality then these ideas should speak for themselves.

    There is no reason to play games with the antlerless hunts.

  12. #12
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    I dropped a line to a couple of legislators too. I think you guys are gonna be surprised with any replies.

    I voted NO.
    it has been a most interesting afternoon with a few of my discussions...

    this could really come back on the AC's and have the legislator rethink the power of the AC to authorize (or not) these hunts on a management basis.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  13. #13
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,396

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by andweav View Post

    If you have concrete ideas regarding reform of the potlatch system that are based in reality then these ideas should speak for themselves.

    There is no reason to play games with the antlerless hunts.
    Very well stated. That is exactly how I feel on the matter.

  14. #14
    Member Laker Taker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    433

    Default

    My wife and I have three boys that eat, sleep and breathe hunting and fishing. All three are old enough this year to apply for draw hunts. I put in for three local (Valley) antlerless moose hunts for each of my boys. They know when and where we applied and aprox. when the results come out. But they still ask at least twice a week "did the tags come out yet". They are so excited at the chance to draw their own moose tag they can't stand it.
    In todays day and age and the "everybody's created equal "mentality that is drilled into their heads in school, how am I supposed to tell my boys that there will be no cow hunts in the Valley this year because people with different color skin and a different heritage deserve the moose more than they do??
    My wife and I know life is not fair, but for three young boys just getting into big game hunting how do you explain this??
    Maybe someone from our local AC could explain this to my kids better than I can.....

    I voted no
    Chad Kolberg
    Wasilla

  15. #15
    Member jkb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Big Lake
    Posts
    1,466

    Default

    Most potlaches are held in units 11,12,13,20,25. Why are the guys in 14 taking a hachet to their nose over this. If someone could explain the reasoning for this in a rational manner maybe I'm missing something. I've heard the rhetoric from both sides and it's more of the same nonsense you could get in the old global fourm.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

  16. #16
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    I am Valley trash.
    Posts
    589

    Default

    Only thing gained by this vote was to make the public more aware that there is a problem with the potlatch program. Since our AC meeting more information is availible and hopefully ADF&G will attend our next meeting (2/24) and educate us and hopefully you will see it brought back up for a vote.

    troy

  17. #17
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tv321 View Post
    Only thing gained by this vote was to make the public more aware that there is a problem with the potlatch program. Since our AC meeting more information is availible and hopefully ADF&G will attend our next meeting (2/24) and educate us and hopefully you will see it brought back up for a vote.

    troy
    INTERESTING comment and close minded still...

    what has come of this?

    have you noticed the traffic in the game management forum... some are just now finding it..

    some are just now finding out that a group of 15 guy/gals from there neighborhoods are making decisions for them.

    some are just now becoming aware there is more to the process...

    i kind of expect you may have some folks at your next meeting troy. USE it correctly and see the larger picture. get past YOUR interest and see the other view points.. you have the ability to lead your group even if your not in charge. you have the passion and the dedication, other wise i would not have worked with you last year on the BOG stuff.. take what folks are telling you and USE it.. to yours and their benefit.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  18. #18
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,396

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Laker Taker View Post
    In todays day and age and the "everybody's created equal "mentality that is drilled into their heads in school, how am I supposed to tell my boys that there will be no cow hunts in the Valley this year because people with different color skin and a different heritage deserve the moose more than they do??
    Chad, if this really doesn't go through and the AC is successful in stopping the cow hunts this year, it won't be because someone with different skin or heritage deserves them more. It'll be because some members of an AC decided that they wanted to trade your kid's hunting opportunity for a chance to score some political points on an unrelated issue. Your kid's chance of drawing a tag is just a pawn here, and the folks of a different heritage aren't to blame. Right or wrong, the blame on this one lies squarely at the foot of those on the AC that voted this way.

  19. #19

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Laker Taker View Post
    My wife and I have three boys that eat, sleep and breathe hunting and fishing. All three are old enough this year to apply for draw hunts. I put in for three local (Valley) antlerless moose hunts for each of my boys. They know when and where we applied and aprox. when the results come out. But they still ask at least twice a week "did the tags come out yet". They are so excited at the chance to draw their own moose tag they can't stand it.
    In todays day and age and the "everybody's created equal "mentality that is drilled into their heads in school, how am I supposed to tell my boys that there will be no cow hunts in the Valley this year because people with different color skin and a different heritage deserve the moose more than they do??
    My wife and I know life is not fair, but for three young boys just getting into big game hunting how do you explain this??
    Maybe someone from our local AC could explain this to my kids better than I can.....

    I voted no
    Chad Kolberg
    Wasilla
    LT,
    Do you NOT see how your "no" vote directly contradicts your valid concern, as stated? How do you explain Community Harvest Hunts, Subsistence, Tier System, etc? Potlatch Hunting can only be explained in the same manner you have explained the other's to them. Matter of fact, it would be a real good subject for you to suggest they bring up in class, and have an educator and their peers explain it to them. I am absolutely flabbergasted by reading your concern and then comparing it to your vote.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  20. #20
    Member sledhands's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    244

    Default Vote

    Mark I have alreadsy recieved letters from my reps and awaiting phone calls. Letters submitted friday answered Monday not all but the guys I expected would.

    The vote is a sacrifice for the common good. The potlatch' s wiil continue Under the American Indian Religious Freedom act. But to Vince's own admission the vote is working as I would imagine they planned, people are making themselves aware. And changes to the regulation of said hunts are in the works. So lets hope all as it was in 14A cow hunts after the 24th meeting

    VINCE
    have you noticed the traffic in the game management forum...
    15 can move a mountain but it will move faster with help
    Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.
    - General George S. Patton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •