Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Skilak

  1. #1

    Default Skilak

    We fished Skilak today. We had very good fishing. We caught several big Rainbows and Lakers. It was well worth the walk.

  2. #2
    Member 0321Tony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sterling, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    1,706

    Question how thick is the ice

    I have not fished skilak in a few years since they changed the regs I am assuming that you fished the outlet of the lake. If so how thick is the ice I usually ride my snomachine out there so I dont have to walk. (more time to fish) any pointers about bait or color of lures. I always had good luck with chartuse. also any white fish I was thinking of going out and trying to catch a whitefish for the derby..

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    I have not fished skilak in a few years since they changed the regs I am assuming that you fished the outlet of the lake. If so how thick is the ice I usually ride my snomachine out there so I dont have to walk. (more time to fish) any pointers about bait or color of lures. I always had good luck with chartuse. also any white fish I was thinking of going out and trying to catch a whitefish for the derby..
    I was at the outlet. Plenty of Ice, while I was there 7 snowmachines came out. I didn't catch any Whitefish. I was using a Silver Sweedish Pimple with shrimp. I wish I had a snowmachine. I've only been here in Alaska for 2.5 years. I've managed to buy a Hewescraft OP, and this year a new Willie Predator. My next big item will be a snowmachine in a year or two.

  4. #4

    Thumbs up

    Sorta suprised to hear you caught a Laker there, but way to go. That outlet produces some really nice Rainbows. I have caught them off the ice in the flowing water leaving out from under the ice. There are a few diehard drifters that will drag their boats to the outlet and dump them in, taking them out at Bings Landing. This stretch holds a huge number of fish in the winter. It is an excellent place to go.
    What size were the Lakers?
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  5. #5
    Member 0321Tony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sterling, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    1,706

    Default Cought a lot of lakers at the outlet

    When I fished Skilak I used to catch a lot of lakers at the outlet never any big ones I think mabye 20 inches being about the biggest. It was a fun place to fish as you never really knew what you were going to catch. The lakers there are really pale colored almost white, nothing like you catch in hidden lake. But we did catch some really nice Rainbows and Dollys. I think I may get back out there this week sometime if the wind ever quits blowing, it can get down right cold out there with the wind. I would like to try and catch a whitefish for the derby

  6. #6

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    When I fished Skilak I used to catch a lot of lakers at the outlet never any big ones I think mabye 20 inches being about the biggest. It was a fun place to fish as you never really knew what you were going to catch. The lakers there are really pale colored almost white, nothing like you catch in hidden lake. But we did catch some really nice Rainbows and Dollys. I think I may get back out there this week sometime if the wind ever quits blowing, it can get down right cold out there with the wind. I would like to try and catch a whitefish for the derby
    Interesting. Did you catch the Lakers in the slack water under the ice or flowing water where it forms the river? I never actually fished the slack water under the ice, always the current of the out flow.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    soldotna
    Posts
    841

    Default

    A question for someone that knows the regs better than I do. I heard that folks using snowmachines were getting tickets from the Refuge folks. Are you are are not allowed to ride on Skilak Lake?

    Just in case anyone is wondering the middle Kenai is locked in ice right now so you would not be able to do the float to Bings. Maybe in a couple of days or so if these mild temps hang around.

  8. #8
    Member sayak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central peninsula, between the K-rivers
    Posts
    5,787

    Default Maybe tags?

    Quote Originally Posted by iceblue View Post
    A question for someone that knows the regs better than I do. I heard that folks using snowmachines were getting tickets from the Refuge folks. Are you are are not allowed to ride on Skilak Lake?

    Just in case anyone is wondering the middle Kenai is locked in ice right now so you would not be able to do the float to Bings. Maybe in a couple of days or so if these mild temps hang around.
    Snowmobile use is legal in all traditional areas of the refuge including Skilak unless posted otherwise. I'm betting they didn't have proper or up-to-date snomo licenses.

    Here is the reg:
    (vi) Within the Skilak Loop Special Management Area, snowmobiles are prohibited except on Hidden, Kelly, Petersen, and Engineer Lakes for ice fishing access only. Upper and Lower Skilak Lake campground boat launches may be used as access points for snowmobile use on Skilak Lake.

    The spirit of this law is to restrict usage to in-holders, but in fact they can only deny snomo use on Skilak when the whole refuge is shut down to them.

  9. #9
    Member 0321Tony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sterling, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    1,706

    Default

    Snomachine use is legal on the lake when the refuge is open and the refuge has just opened up I believe at the end of January, But be careful because you can not ride an atv out on the lake ie 4wheeler. I found that out as I was sitting on the seat on my 4 wheeler fishing when fish and game rode up on their 4 wheeler because of lack of snow on the ice and gave me a warning that it is ok to ride a snomachine but not an atv on the lake.. Go figure..

    I have always fished the slack water under the ice and thats where I was catching the lakers at it wasnt very deep only about 10 to 15 ft deep if I remember right I never had any luck in the open water but I didnt try much either I was just casting from the edge of the ice. I have fished all over that lake in the winter and never had any luck any where else on the lake besides at the outlet but I have herd that where hidden creek comes in if you fish there it can be good at times but no luck for me. I think I was too deep the person I talked to said that he was only in about 8ft of water there.

    I may head out tomarow and bring the ice house out to block the wind anyone else going out tomarow..

  10. #10
    Member sayak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central peninsula, between the K-rivers
    Posts
    5,787

    Default Someone...

    Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    Snomachine use is legal on the lake when the refuge is open and the refuge has just opened up I believe at the end of January, But be careful because you can not ride an atv out on the lake ie 4wheeler. I found that out as I was sitting on the seat on my 4 wheeler fishing when fish and game rode up on their 4 wheeler because of lack of snow on the ice and gave me a warning that it is ok to ride a snomachine but not an atv on the lake.. Go figure..
    ... should put tracks on the back of a wheeler, skiis in the front, and just see what the mounties have to say about that. That might cause some real confusion for the heat.

  11. #11
    Member 0321Tony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sterling, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    1,706

    Default I like that

    Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    ... should put tracks on the back of a wheeler, skiis in the front, and just see what the mounties have to say about that. That might cause some real confusion for the heat.
    Thats great Just curious what they would say about that

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,762

    Default the rangers

    they don't make the laws they just are there to do there work if they did not do it they could be fired an you know jobs are hard to get an they did just give you a warning ticket

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    469

    Default Overflow???

    Wondering what the conditions are like as far as overflow down there. I heard it rained catfish and dog salmon at the ski race at Skyview today.
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •