Thread: Coming up this summer...

Default Coming up this summer...

Hey everybody, I live in Oregon but my dad lives in Nilnilchik. I am planning on making a trip up this summer, but I need help with the timing. I am a fisherman through and through, and enjoy catching ANYTHING. I am more of a river/creek kinda guy, but would love to tag a halibut or two. From what I hear when the silvers come in, they kinda get in the way, but other than that I don't know much about the area. I don't enjoy combat fishing, and prefer solitude. I'm a hardware kinda guy, haven't picked up fly fishing yet. Any help picking a 5-7 day window would greatly be appreciated.

My best suggetion.... ASK DAD... and take him with you... somewhere close..somewhere far... Just anywhere but take dad with you..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

I was looking at the map and noticed Clam creek. After looking over the regs, it looks like I wont be able to make it in time for the king run. I'm not going to focus on salmon, as I am able to catch my share down here and I don't want to pay to ship the meat back home. I am more looking for long days of feisty trout fishing and Clam creek looks great with all of its twists and turns. I am a C&R kinda guy so taking home dinner isn't a requirement. Anybody ever fish Clam Creek?

Hey Adam bomb, Make sure you come visit us in Delta Junction. Come fish at Quartz Lake and the Delta Clearwater River. I can almost guarantee you will be satisfied.

I've never fished Clam Creek, but maybe someone has. If you want trout I'd say come early or late summer. The shoulder seasones are cheaper anyway and way less crowded. Maybe even consider steelhead fishing in that area, Kasilof, anchor river. Kenai has some hogs too. You would be in the middle of fishing nirvana. You can find all sorts of uncrowded fishing if you want to. Late Aug I've fished the Russian with barely anyone around, and had a blast. Big trout are feeding that time of year too. Once Kings are over, and Reds are blushing some people are done fishing and some just wait for Silves.
    Good rivers, anchor, Kasilof, Kenia, Quartz Creek. Keep asking questions and look though old threads. You are going to get tons of info. Good luck.

I'm not to familiar with clam creek. What do you mean by "silvers get in the way"? In the way of what? They are an awesome gamefish, from the chromers in Valdez and the Kenai, to the Dark old Boots of the Delta Clearwater. They are definitely alot of fun to fish. It all depends on your timing of when you are planning on coming up. Any idea when?

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

If your dad lives in Ninilchik you've got a couple of really good rivers that are close by. Ninilchik River and Deep Creek are both right there. Both have steelhead (rainbows), dolly varden, and salmon. Both rivers can be a lot of fun to explore and to fish for trout. A short drive from the town of Ninilchik is the Anchor River which also has some steelhead & dollies. Fall (August until freeze up) is the best time of year for the steelhead but the dollies can be found pretty much anytime the creeks are open to fishing if you are willing to look for them. I have seen folks catch the steelhead on spinners and spoons but flies or beads seem to work better. If you really want to use hardware come in August and target the silvers as they are like catching a big rainbow and no one said that you had to keep them.
    If I was planning on coming up to visit and had a small window before getting back home to school I would come as late in the summer as possible. August would be good. September would be better.
    Clam Creek? Hmm, never heard of it but if it exists I would think that it is around Clam Gulch as there are several small creeks around there that might have a few dollies in them but I would skip them with the limited time that you will have. Crooked Creek is in the area of Clam Gulch so maybe that is the one that you saw on the map. It has some dollies and steelhead but it is a tough creek to hike around much with a lot of dense brush around it, really small water to fish in, and the trout can be tough to locate. My advice would be to stick to the Anchor, Ninilchik, or Deep Creek.

Clam creek may not be the correct name, but its what Google maps says its called. It seems to be the first main tributary into Deep Creek. By "getting in the way" I had read a thread where someone said they couldn't get past the silvers to get to the bows, maybe I misunderstood, or maybe they were joking. I think my trip will have to be late in the summer, simply because it will take a few months to save up the dough. So far my #1 choice is the third week in September, my birthday week. How much of the property around Deep creek is public?

there are very few rainbows in the deep creek/anchor drainages, a few, but not many. the later the better for the steelhead run, but be aware that as you get farther from people you will be closer to bears. there are LOTS of brownies in all the lower peninsula drainages that have salmon.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Go to the forum store and buy Scott Haugens book, "Flyfisher's Guide to Alaska". Forget it says flyfishing, this book tells you exactly where and when to go. Over 100 maps in the book and very clear directions. Also, Gunnar Pederson's "Fishing Alaska" is a great all around book. He put out one or two books specific to the Kenai. Take the time to read and educate yourself. You will get more out of your time in Alaska in doing so.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Go to the forum store and buy Scott Haugens book, "Flyfisher's Guide to Alaska". Forget it says flyfishing, this book tells you exactly where and when to go. Over 100 maps in the book and very clear directions. Also, Gunnar Pederson's "Fishing Alaska" is a great all around book. He put out one or two books specific to the Kenai. Take the time to read and educate yourself. You will get more out of your time in Alaska in doing so.
    Ditto to buying those books. The Highway Angler by Gunnar Pederson has introduced me to a bunch or fisheries I would have never stopped at. A few more months and it will be time to do it all over again, can't wait!

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Defenitely would recommend getting a good book. Skimping on $20 or whatever is not the way to go. Second Pedersons books the Highway Angler. Also would buy the Alaska Roadside Anglers guide, lots of cool pictures and week by week breakdown of what is available where during the summer. Worth every penny.