Thread: 3 fatal avalanches 2/13

Default 3 fatal avalanches 2/13

5 people were killed in 3 separate avalanches today (Sat 2/13) including BP Alaska president Jim Bowles. Bowles died with another BP employee while snowmachining in the Grandview area of the Placer Valley.

Farther up the valley in an unnamed drainage that leads to an area local riders call Squirrel Flats, another 2 snowmachiners were killed.

The 5th, a skier died on a slope above Hiland Road in Eagle River.

If you play in the winter mountains please, please get avalance education. Get the equipment and carry it, and watch the weather. Today's conditions--new snow on known weak layers and warming temps were a recipe for slides. As far as I know none of the snowmachiners triggered the slides that killed them. They were in terrain traps when the slopes above them let go. Apparently, from the report the skier triggered that slide.

Blessings on the deceased and peace to their families.

RMK

Default Good Advice Eric

It's good to remind people to be vigilant.

Today's events are truly sad indeed. It's a stark reminder of the dangers of back country sports.

Default sad

that really is terrible....i was out last week up knik and could hear several avalanches letting loose up in the clouds...glad i was down on the flats...
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Default Wrong!

Jim Bowles, was the Conoco Phillips Alaska President. Try to be a bit more accurate when "reporting" news. Hopefully no one freak'd out because you posted "BP Alaska"

Question

Where did you hear of the one's getting killed in Squirrel Flats?
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

This is the second location I've read of a possible avalanche in squirrel flats and am wondering if anyone can substantiate? It's not in the news...you'd think if it happened yesterday that the news would be reporting on it. I suspect it may be because the initial reports of the Grandview slide were reported as being at Squirrel Flats.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

There was just the one avalanche in the Spencer/Grandview area that killed 2 snowmachiners. The "other" avalanche is a false rumor spurred by the original event.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) Alaska State Troopers have released the name of a skier killed Saturday by an avalanche near Eagle River on Anchorage's north side.
    He was 60-year-old William Brasher Schorr.
    Schorr at around 4 p.m. was skiing alone near the top of a ridge while a friend waited near the bottom for his arrival.
    The avalanche occurred about 1,500 feet above 7.3 Mile Hiland Road.
    A witness saw the slide begin from his home. Schorr's body was recovered about 45 minutes later.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Quote Originally Posted by 1S1K View Post
    Jim Bowles, was the Conoco Phillips Alaska President. Try to be a bit more accurate when "reporting" news. Hopefully no one freak'd out because you posted "BP Alaska"
    5 people are dead. My apologies for listing the wrong oil company.

Thank you for quibbling

The Squirrel Flats report came from a very credible local rider who reported on SnoWest seeing the aftermath of the slide, and seeing several sleds, and riders digging.

If I posted a false report I am truly sorry for causing unnecessary alarm.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    5 people are dead. My apologies for listing the wrong oil company.

Thank you for quibbling

The Squirrel Flats report came from a very credible local rider who reported on SnoWest seeing the aftermath of the slide, and seeing several sleds, and riders digging.

If I posted a false report I am truly sorry for causing unnecessary alarm.
    Still haven't seen any news of a 3rd fatal avalanche. Would be interested in finding any information on it if there actually was one. Sure seems like it would have been mentioned in the news, especially with the other two slides that killed people.

There was an avalanche in the approach to Squirrel Flats but it did not cause any injuries or fatalities.

I'm sorry if my OP caused any confusion.