Thread: Traditional hunts and methods!

Default Traditional hunts and methods!

What constitutes a traditional hunt?

What is a traditional method and why?

What makes a use traditional.

Are there guidelines and parameters?

Can any user group be granted a usage under the traditional guise?

Is it just for select groups with money and attorneys?

If not explain why you think so?

Is there any user group allowed traditional acceptance more than others?

Again: Why do you believe this is? Okay I will leave the rest up to all of you. There are a lot of opinions on here I suspect we will read at least one. But these are questions I don't have solid information to answer. I would enjoy the opportunity to read what other people think on this as it so effects our attitude towards one another in the hunting community.

Traditions are made by the people who do as they have done before.
    Hunt with your dad, at a certain place or time of year, it could be a family tradition.
    Hunt at a place where your ancestors hunted, and it could be a Cultural tradition.
    People make and break traditions all the time and try new things.

I hunt like my grandfather, with a rifle, without scent blockers, "systems" or such, just spot and stalk mostly, using the wind, land , deception and such to get close enough to make a killing shot.
    You could say that Hunting is a tradition in my family.

Some traditons are outlaw'd, such as snaring Caribou at river crossings and in snare lines at hill tops, or driving buffalo herds off the rims of canyons.

Some Traditional methods and tools are in use, like the rifle, the shotgun, the bow and arrow, harpoons, and steel traps. Most basicly what they were here, 200 years ago, but with modern materials and manufacturing methods.
    The gasoline engine has been in use in The Arcitc, since the 1920's, rifles since 1819, and so on.
    Most X-mas Traditons can be traced back to some fairly recent times.

Things become "Traditional" when they 'work', especcially hunting tools and methods. Butchering a Caribou properly is still the same today as it ever was. Where to be, when to be there and what to do with the animal have not changed.

Id venture to say that transportation has been the most radical of all changes to hunting in the last century.

Old traditions are usually what makes folks happy,time and again, and Mankind progresses.....

My motherinlaw once told my wife, "If its a tradition, it most likely works very well" which made good sence to me.

If you want to hunt, do it. If your not a part of a Culture that has the traditions , then make some new ones and taech your kids. Join in with those who do have tradional ties and bust your butt hunting/working

I have never once found predjudice while hunting and working together, with any other "Select Group". What I did find, in my wifes family especcialy, was a vast ocean of knowlage that only those who experianced it could relate to, a "Hands on" way of being taught to be very , very efficient.Make everything count, and enjoy each day. These folks educated their kids themselfs, as they were, by their parents. It is cool to see such a connection, and encouragingly enough, They always admired good work.Weve done our best to educate our kids out in the country as well, homeschooling for many years, and taking them along, making them work too.

I have always found a way to hunt, and my ancestors did too, thats good enough for me.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Q. What is subsistence fishing and hunting?

A. Subsistence uses of wild resources are defined in Alaska state law as the "noncommercial, customary and traditional uses" of fish and wildlife resources for direct personal or family uses as food, shelter, fuel (e.g. firewood), clothing, tools, or transportation. The subsistence uses of wild resources also include making and selling handmade articles out of non-edible by-products of fish and wildlife resources taken for personal or family consumption. Customary and traditional uses of wild resources also include barter, sharing, or limited and noncommercial exchange of fish and wildlife resources for minimal amounts of cash (customary trade) for personal or family use (Alaska Statute 16.05.940[33]). Subsistence fishing is fishing for or possession of fish for subsistence uses and subsistence hunting is hunting for or possession of wildlife parts for subsistence uses. To qualify to participate in subsistence fishing or hunting a person must be an Alaska resident, meaning he/she has lived in Alaska for 12 consecutive months. Furthermore, all subsistence hunters must have a valid hunting license and in areas where subsistence fishing permits are required, a valid subsistence fishing permit. Depending upon the area and the resource, subsistence fishers may use nets, seines, fish wheels, long lines, or other types of gear as defined by the Alaska Board of Fisheries.

http://www.subsistence.adfg.state.ak...out/subfaq.cfm

More info, as per the other questions, included in the above link,

Wink

What is defined as being "traditional" today is different than it was even ten years ago. The definition has been changed so many times, to fit the time and events that followed, that I have lost count. To define it today, you have to narrow the scope of your question, do you mean Layman's Term, State of Alaska Term, Federal Term or Native Alaskan Term?

If we could get rid of the lawyers, we could all get back to using Webster as the final authority, this is in fact what they are still teaching in early school years. As we get older, we want to re-define terms to meet our wants. It is commonly referred to as Social Ill's.

The questions you pose have no definitive answers. Only speculative opinions.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Thanks Bushrat.
    In the scope of this thread, that is a very good outline.

Someone, whoever they may be, once said "'Subsistance' is a very poor word for a very good way of life".
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Default I sure enjoyed reading these...

Especially Stranger's, and the AK state definition Bushrat gave seems OK to me, Akres words ring true, and Stranger has the last and best word, and should, he lives what he says...

I find it hard to believe someone who claims to spell every word the only correct way and knows what they mean.

Some of the answers are OK. But it's obvious you have a very poor understanding of our wildlife management laws, including C&T. Your not likely to get completely adequate answers here. Spend some time in an F&G office talking with a bio. That might help.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Martentrapper

Who are you posting to? Me?

I have spent many hours in F&G offices talking to bios it is always part of my hunting and fishing preparation. Kind of like bringing a lighter.

I don't suspect adequate answers are likely. Personal view points are more what I was looking for anyway The term seems to effect hunting many ways for many people. Strangers post is no doubt close to most peoples view ofwhat they see as traditional. I probably just put to many questions to cover in one thread. But I did ask for opinions.

Thanks guys
    Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.
    - General George S. Patton

Yes sled, my post was aimed at you. However, perhaps I misunderstand your intent. Are you asking about the recent potlatch hunt issue that the BoG discussed? If so, there's already been a thread or 2 about that.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Well

at the end of the day, what some people get out of debates or votes is all that matters to them. They plead their case for their community, their area, their borough, their state.... when all they care about is themselves. What do they get. If they have to plead "subsistence" to get something, some people will do it. They have to plead "ceremonial" they'll do that too.

Point being, if certain people didn't see results specifically benefiting them, they wouldn't say a word. just my .02...
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.