Thread: First Rounds down range, Yahoo

Default First Rounds down range, Yahoo

Loaded my first twenty this aft. and had an hour of light left so got to the range and sent 'em flying. All I can say is Yahoo, I am totally jacked about reloading.

Loaded for Sako 85 in .270WSM -
    ten 130 gr w/Speer boattail and IMR 4350 in the midrange w/56gr
    ten 100 gr w/Speer varmint load Hollow pts -4350 and 61.8 gr

They fired NICE, made Noise, big Flash (just before dark) heh heh and one of the 3 shot groups was .67 inches !! the others were from .97" to 2.4"

It wasn't ideal conditions, raining and blowing NE35 right down range at me but I could NOT wait. Could only get to the 100yd range just in time b-4 dark and using shooting bags for rest, happy with results tho for sure

GET THIS for your conversation and interest sake, I loaded two of the 110gr Varmint loads with "DUPONT MILITARY 4350" (with same numbers as IMR load specs) powder that is nearly FIFTY YRS old !!

Wifes Grandpa has a refrig full of powder from post WWII days in Japan that he brought home, SERIOUSLY, It smelled good and normal, looked dry and excellent, so I tried two loads with it. WHAM, Good to Go

I couldn't see the target enough during group (forgot my spotter) but the first of that group was fresh IMR and the last two were the old stuff and two of the three are 1/2in apart but 2 1/2 inch lower than the other which was dead center, Have to check on that later to see if it lost some power ???

Sure came close for Fifty yr old powder though, Wild, Eh? I could hardly imagine being able to use that stuff but couldn't find any reason to not try it. Looks immaculate. I'm not 100% sure of age but label looks fifties and fits his memory of stocking up with post Japan occupation deals.

Needless to say I am SO IN with you guys now, thanks for the help, I'll be asking more but wanted to post first results, Happy Camper Here

Congrats, looks like you are on your way.

Steve

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Congratulations, you've been bitten. lol

Sounds like pretty decent results for your first attempt, congrats!

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

You're hooked now!!

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    . . the last two were the old stuff and two of the three are 1/2in apart but 2 1/2 inch lower than the other which was dead center, Have to check on that later to see if it lost some power ???
    Way cool, glad you enjoy it.

Your group hitting low is more likely a product of barrel harmonics than a big change of velocity with the old powder. This can happen with the same powder from two different batches made a day apart, that’s part of why they put lot numbers on powder.

Powder will usually get faster with age as the coatings degrade and/or get rubbed off. Usually being the important word here because there is no way to tell. Smokeless powder well stored and left alone can last long enough that we don’t know how long it can last. Not enough time has passed since its invention for us to find that out yet. About all we know for sure is it can go bad faster if poorly stored.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Welcome to the club...there's no turning back now.

Doc

I think you have done swallered hook, line, and sinker. Just think of all the fun you would of missed if you had not of tried reloading. The best is yet to come. Just wait unti you take your first big game animal with one of your reloads. My first big game animal with one of my reloads was a whitetail doe taken with a Rugger M77, 270 caliber taken 36 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Cast Iron View Post
    I think you have done swallered hook, line, and sinker. Just think of all the fun you would of missed if you had not of tried reloading. The best is yet to come. Just wait unti you take your first big game animal with one of your reloads. My first big game animal with one of my reloads was a whitetail doe taken with a Rugger M77, 270 caliber taken 36 years ago.

The wife took her first Black Bear with one of my hand loads. I was proud of her and proud of the quality ammo I produced in my own garage.

She dropped him in his tracks with her new 270 wsm and a 140gr Accubond being pushed by 58.5 grains of IMR 4350.

I'm itching to do some loads for my new 325WSM, but I need the temperatures to get a little closer to hunting temperatures.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post

I'm itching to do some loads for my new 325WSM, but I need the temperatures to get a little closer to hunting temperatures.

Steve
    Do any of the extreme powders work for your 325? I use a lot of Varget and have no real difference with temperatures from 0 - 50 degrees.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Quote Originally Posted by MNViking View Post
    Do any of the extreme powders work for your 325? I use a lot of Varget and have no real difference with temperatures from 0 - 50 degrees.
    Thanks for the tip, I did find a load that I'm going to try.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post

Steve
    Cool that she got that bear with your handloads. I shot my first critter with my own handloads this year as well. 325wsm, 220gr Sierra Gamekings, IMR 4007 SSC 63gr I think, have to check my notes, shoots sub moa in my Kimber at just under 2800fps. Let me know when you start loading for your 325. I'll be working up a 200gr AB load this year. Hopefully I can equal the factory AB's at just under 2950fps with the same accuracy. I've now got my hopes set on killing a critter with may handgun with my own cast boolits and handloads. Maybe a spring blackie?!

First kill with handloads.