Thread: Alaska's Bush Pilots DVD?

Smile Alaska's Bush Pilots DVD?

As a female student pilot I have always dreamed of flying the wilderness in Alaska. The other evening I caught something on a TV on a commercial about “Alaska’s Bush Pilots…The Real Deal”. Seemed to be on a channel like The Discovery Channel or??? They said something about it being a HD DVD 1080i (whatever that is?). Has anyone seen this show or know where I can purchase the DVD? I think it is brand new so maybe that is why I am having such a difficult time finding it? Please help! Thank you! Denise

I presently live and work close to Lake Clark

Default 360 North

It was on 360 North CH 7040. If you go to 360north.org you should be able to order it from there. It was on again today. You can also look up their schedule on that site and tape it when it comes on.

Default You can find it on Ebay also

"Alaska's Bush Pilots...The Real Deal" HD DVD

Price:US $19.95Buy It Now

RMK

Default DVD choices

Hey Bushrat,

Have you ever seen "Bush Pilots of Alaska?" That DVD is pretty good. It features Cubs, Beavers, skis and floats. Maybe I'm biased because I know a few of the pilots in the video.

I also have seen a couple of the "Big Rocks, Long Props" Super Cub DVDs that were awesome. They have very impressive off airport cub work.

I will check out that one you posted. The plane on the cover isn't the first thing that comes to my mind with bush flying. Cliff Merchant's 206 has an avionics suite that cost more than my plane.

It's a nice ride indeed.

You would have to be over 70 to be a bush pilot. The ERA is over.
    Tim

Default Yep

Quote Originally Posted by RMK View Post
    Hey Bushrat,

Have you ever seen "Bush Pilots of Alaska?" That DVD is pretty good. It features Cubs, Beavers, skis and floats. Maybe I'm biased because I know a few of the pilots in the video.

I also have seen a couple of the "Big Rocks, Long Props" Super Cub DVDs that were awesome. They have very impressive off airport cub work.

I will check out that one you posted. The plane on the cover isn't the first thing that comes to my mind with bush flying. Cliff Merchant's 206 has an avionics suite that cost more than my plane.

It's a nice ride indeed.

I've seen just about everythng concerning BUSH PILOTS. Haveing always lived in the BUSH, they have a very special place in my life. They have brought me supplies, company and have participated in many emergencies with friends of mine. I am thankful I have never had to use them in an emergency. There have been quite a few that have flown just to check on me. Before the computer era. Hopefully they will start again when I get rid of this electronic Pain in the *****.

RMK

Default I guess that would depend on your definition

Quote Originally Posted by mit View Post
    You would have to be over 70 to be a bush pilot. The ERA is over.

I guess that would depend on how you define bush pilot. I would argue that while Alaska's original bush pilots are long gone, but there are plenty of younger guys stepping in.

Would they qualify if they leave their GPS at home?

There is a least one left. Layton Bennet of Haines, Alaska is 90+ and still flies when he can have a medical sit next to him. A real Alaska Bush Legend. He told me once long ago when showing me a few tips. "You don't really know how to fly these **** things until you have crashed in a couple."

I beg to differ on the era of being bush pilots being over. There are still many, many very qualified pilots out there that are as good as anyone else that came before them. Leif and Randy at 40Mile Air can flat fly cubs. Very few are better in a 185 than Doug Geeting...and you didn't have to wreck a few to become good. Cliff Hudson and Geeting never had a major wreck.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

RMK

Default I may never get good

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I beg to differ on the era of being bush pilots being over. There are still many, many very qualified pilots out there that are as good as anyone else that came before them. Leif and Randy at 40Mile Air can flat fly cubs. Very few are better in a 185 than Doug Geeting...and you didn't have to wreck a few to become good. Cliff Hudson and Geeting never had a major wreck.
    I can't afford a wreck. I am relegated to a lifetime of mediocrity.