Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scented Crisco Candles

Default Scented Crisco Candles

I have had very good luck doing scent burns while bear baiting. I have tried various ways to do it and it has always been a pain to setup and keep burning. I read on the forum that a member stuck a couple tapered candles into a can of butter favored crisco and had bears come to that. I did some research on candle making using tallow. I thought I could make some candles that would throw scent and that I could carry and use easily. I have used bacon, maple syrup, berry flavored yello, and marsh-mellows burned in a old coffee can over a small camp stove before and had success.

This mating pair came into a burn and was trying to eat the can.

This is my friends first bear also came to a burn.

So I gathered the items I would need to make my candles. I decided to use zinc wicks because they burn hotter.

I got a aluminum pitcher to use to melt my wax in.

I bought a pound of candle wax to make my crisco wax firmer.

I bought some, maple, anise, raspberry extract.

Some alum to help harden and hold the scent.

I wanted to be able to seal the candles to keep the scent out of my boat and other items I don't want eaten. So I used an old peanut jar with a screw lid.

I'm no expert and I'm sure there are better ways to make candles, but this is how I did it.

Using a large pot with water in it as a double boiler, I melted butter flavored Crisco, candle wax, and bacon grease, 4 parts Crisco, 2 parts wax, 1 part bacon grease. I bought the water to boil and melted the wax in the pitcher. As soon as it completely melted I added some maple and vanilla extract. I stirred it up and poured it into my peanut jar with the wick hot glued into the bottom and wire holding the wick in place.

I allowed the candle to cool. The entire house smelled like Breakfast cooking. Smelled like bacon and pancakes. After the candle cooled, I trimmed and lit the wick. The candle has been burning several hours and is putting off a wonderful smell and is burning nicely. I'm going to make several more. I will wait until spring to make the salmon oil ones. Don't think those would be as welcomed on the bar as the one I have now. Hope to add bear photos to this thread in a few months.

Steve

sound like you are on to something I may try this next spring. What is a zinc wick?
    Chuck

They sell different types of wicks. The ones I used are prewaxed large zinc cored wicks. I don't know beans about it really other than I read that the zinc core burns hotter and that helps the vegetable shorting candle burn better. The candle has been burning for over three hours now and is still burning clean with a nice scent. Looks like it would burns for several hours. Going to be nice and romantic for some lucky bears this spring. They will let me know if they like them or not. LOL

Steve

Great post. This is the type of thing I wish there was more of on here. I've now got a new project. Thanks, just beautiful.

Stidd,

When doing burns and sitting in the stand, try a large fruit can from costco with a tall juice can. In the large wide can, poke holes along the outside bottom edge, this allows air flow. Then use charcoal brickets. Will last quite a while, my dad has done this, not me. If you add to much honey or whatever, it just boils over onto the hot coals, not your camp stove! Worked good. No need to attend it or stir it. Light it and climb in the tree.
    Myself I do a burn before I get into the tree or none at all. Or if one person is walking out, he does the burn=usually me. Then the bears come in a bit quicker thinking they saw you leave, which you did, but the buddy is in the tree and ready! This has worked many times, usually right about an hour each time from when I leave and the bear is dead!

Thanks for the candle idea man!

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    Stidd,

When doing burns and sitting in the stand, try a large fruit can from costco with a tall juice can. In the large wide can, poke holes along the outside bottom edge, this allows air flow. Then use charcoal brickets. Will last quite a while, my dad has done this, not me. If you add to much honey or whatever, it just boils over onto the hot coals, not your camp stove! Worked good. No need to attend it or stir it. Light it and climb in the tree.
    Myself I do a burn before I get into the tree or none at all. Or if one person is walking out, he does the burn=usually me. Then the bears come in a bit quicker thinking they saw you leave, which you did, but the buddy is in the tree and ready! This has worked many times, usually right about an hour each time from when I leave and the bear is dead!

Thanks for the candle idea man!
    Great tip, I too learned that it don't take much syrup or honey to boil over and make a mess. I still have a couple sticky stoves. I also have done the ole one hunter leave and one stay trick. It is an effective strategy.

Steve

Default candles

Steve where did you buy your items to make the candles. This is something me and my 9 year old can do to past the time before the season starts

I bought the butter Crisco and extracts at Safeway, the wax, wicks, and other items came from Jo-Ann's fabric and craft store in Fair banks.

Have fun, just be careful.

Steve

Default THanks

Thank you, me and my son will do some this weekend

Default another question

Steve how much of the alum do you use? Thanks Chris

I used a tablespoon per pound of wax and crisco.

Steve

Steve that is awesome. Now you have me thinking about doing this. I have the perfect spot to try this out on

Smile

Steve

What a great Idea . I already have about 30 pounds of bees wax ( for making bullet lube ) that smells like Honey by it's self .
    I shall use your idea to make my own Bear candles for this spring .
    What a Romantic time with candles and a very nice cast bullet for a Black Bruin !!!!
    Thanks

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Stid2677, it nice to see there are still people who have a brain and use it when it comes to hunting. So many people now-a-days think you have to buy everything and hunting is all about buying hunting gear.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    Stid2677, it nice to see there are still people who have a brain and use it when it comes to hunting. So many people now-a-days think you have to buy everything and hunting is all about buying hunting gear.
    still have to buy the supplies...

steve how many candles do you get for what appers to be about 35.00 worth of stuff?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Vince, I would have expected better of you.

Yes, you have to buy supplies. The reason for my comment was to thank, Stid2677 for the information and to in courage other people to post helpful information, not all this crap we now have.

Why, do people on this forum have to be so negative, when it comes to people trying to make this a better place? We used to have several people like Stid2677, that have been run off.

Sorry Stid2677 for the rant, keep up the good work.

Vince,

It looks like I can make more than I could use with the amount I bought. You can go as OLD SCHOOL as you like with this project. You can boil down most any animal and skim off the fat once it has cooled. I used 25% bacon grease that was old and not going to be used. I also have some old fish grease that I'm going to try. You can hand roll your own wicks. With hand rolled wicks and boiled down fat poured into an old bean can would cost almost nothing.

The candle pictured in this thread has burned for over 48hrs and is only about 15% burned.
    So the next ones I make will be in small mason jars or something that uses less volume. That was my first attempt and like anything requires research and development.

Stearic acid powder is also a hardener used to firm up tallow candles. I could not find it locally, but you can order it on ebay. That could be used instead of mixing in the more expensive raw wax to do the same. Or gather up your wife's old half burnt candles and use them.

Lots of ways to do the same thing.

http://eroscent.com/candleblog/candl...stearic-powder

Good luck on those that are trying it. Hope to see some photos.

Steve

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    Vince, I would have expected better of you.

Yes, you have to buy supplies. The reason for my comment was to thank, Stid2677 for the information and to in courage other people to post helpful information, not all this crap we now have.

Why, do people on this forum have to be so negative, when it comes to people trying to make this a better place? We used to have several people like Stid2677, that have been run off.

Sorry Stid2677 for the rant, keep up the good work.
    didn't mean it to be negative moose... i guess i read your post wrong... and mearly observed that things are purchased often even to make things.

as for the negative Moose.. well........ahem
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I sell these scented soy candles in my store and have often wondered if they would work for bears. I might just take some out next year I've got strawberry scented ones, pumpkin pie ones and cinnamon roll ones

My best smoke/scent I have used is using a can of sterno and an old frying pan to boil equal parts marshmellows, water and cherry jello. Mega amounts of good smelling smoke and steam. The resulting tar actually tastes really good, too..
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast