Thread: Yakutat bay in a skiff - what gear to bring?

Default Yakutat bay in a skiff - what gear to bring?

Getting ready to buy my gear for a week in Yakutat in late June. Going to rent a skiff from Leonard's Landing to fish the bay for kings and halibut and need some advice how to rig, depth, locations, etc.

Anyone have experience with fishing yakutat bay? Please help me plan what tackle to bring on the flight:

I'm thinking of:
    Trolling: crescent sinker, dodger, and herring or hootchie. How much weight and what depths are usually fished?

Mooching with herring, gulp pogy

Bottom fishing with gulp grubs. How much weight and what depths?

Any other suggestions how to rig up for Yakutat?

Thanks,
    Gary

Default Radio

I rent skiffs out and my one word of advice is to anyone renting a skiff is to ask if they have a Marine radio and if not buy a nice hand held. Hopefully uoi won't need it but it is something you can always have for future trips. Works well to listen to the weather and others report their fish stories.

Gooch
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

I'm sure your standard down-rigger or deep diver hooked up with a flasher and herring rig would work just fine. Caught some nice ones out of there last year in early May, here is what your can look forward to...notice the red relection off of TSS shirt on the second pic, pretty wicked..

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

I don't fish in the bay too much! Most of my fishing is done in the outside waters. The skiffs are limited to where they can fish, due to insurance. That is not to say you cna't catch limits of world records in the bay. My experienc has taught me the bottom fish/ hali are smaller and fewer and farther between in the bay. The King fishing is fun in Broken Oar cove, Redfield cove, the pionts in the islands, can be good behind Khantak Is. THese Kings are special they will bite anything they do anywhere else. I fish alot of Hot Spots and hootchies/ flies and spoons. The guys mooching do very well. You should have fun!