Thread: Eek River

Default Eek River

Hello

I`m going to raft (or use canoe) on the Eek river next summer (2007), but it`s hard to find any information (only Papa Bear Adventures). Could someone help me?

Default Eyak River information

Bears Den Cabins
    P.O. Box 365
    Cordova, Alaska 99574
    Telephone: (907)424-7168
    Fax: (907)424-7156
    Email: bearsdencabins@yahoo.com

Floating it a Raft unless you have power is more than likely not the Best idea unless you have a plan for pick up.

Yep Yep motor is a must if you talking about the the Eyak.

Richard Mousseau
    www.bluemooserafting.com

yeah, he's talking about the river between bethel and dilly.

not the eyak river around cordova.

Default Oh my bad!

Notice he attached the Eek to a post on the fishing forum. Silly Me.!

Default Eek details

Disagree with Bluemoose on motor. It'll be a mistake if you plan to raft the upper corridor. Shallow nature makes the weight issue concerning, especially after August.

What would you like to know about the Eek?

fishing = silvers and dolleys are most abundant. No rainbows to my knowledge.

river character = class II for the upper 45 miles or so, with deeper slower currents below the hills. motorboat pick-up down lower. Average depth ranges from 8" to 30" along the upper corridor, and then slows down trmendously and gets deeper. That's probably when a motor would be nice, but a hindrence in the upper. Takes about 5 days to cruise downstream from the upper corridor. You could do it quicker, but takes about 20-25 hours total if memory serves. The hike between the Eek and the Kwethluk is not a bad option, especially if caribou hunting.

Default No Worries

Quote Originally Posted by BoDean View Post
    Disagree with Bluemoose on motor. It'll be a mistake if you plan to raft the upper corridor. Shallow nature makes the weight issue concerning, especially after August.

What would you like to know about the Eek?

fishing = silvers and dolleys are most abundant. No rainbows to my knowledge.

river character = class II for the upper 45 miles or so, with deeper slower currents below the hills. motorboat pick-up down lower. Average depth ranges from 8" to 30" along the upper corridor, and then slows down trmendously and gets deeper. That's probably when a motor would be nice, but a hindrence in the upper. Takes about 5 days to cruise downstream from the upper corridor. You could do it quicker, but takes about 20-25 hours total if memory serves. The hike between the Eek and the Kwethluk is not a bad option, especially if caribou hunting.
    It's ok to disagree I stepped out put my foot in my mouth again. A very bad habit indeed! I thought he was asking about the Eyak River. Yep one of those days. Yep Silly Me.!

Thumbs up

Hi

Thanks for the answers I have got so far.

The main thing that I`m wondering of is if canoe or raft is the best way to do the Eek (and what about kings?)