Thread: any interest in Berdan Primed 06 ammo these days?

Default any interest in Berdan Primed 06 ammo these days?

My dad gave me @ 300 rounds of F.N. made, 1957 vintage, 30-06, military FMJ ammo. It is loaded with a 150 grain spitzer like the M2 ammo.

I shot some and then discovered it was Berdan primed. ( YES I BROKE MY DARN DIE-PRIMING PIN)

Since I am a hand-loader, this stuff does not hold much appeal to me.
    Is there any interest in Berdan primed 30-06 these days?
    I think that FN did not change over to non-corrosive until 1958, so this stuff may be corrosive primed as well.

If not, I guess I could either shoot it and chuck the brass... or pull the bullets.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default FN Berdan primed ammo

I think FN switched to non-corrosive primers around 1950. I've got a bunch of early 1950s 9mm and a case of .45 ACP that is non-corrosive. Actually it does not really matter if it is non-corrosive or not as the stuff is 100% duds!

If the stuff you got fires correctly I'd just shoot it as-is. I've seen quite a few of the cases left on the range so somone is firing it. If you want to sell it send me a price. I'll shoot it and save my US made stuff. I can also trade you '06 fired brass as part trade or something.

From my expereince I wouldn't recommend stashing it for a rainy day!

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    My dad gave me @ 300 rounds of F.N. made, 1957 vintage, 30-06, military FMJ ammo. It is loaded with a 150 grain spitzer like the M2 ammo.

I shot some and then discovered it was Berdan primed. ( YES I BROKE MY DARN DIE-PRIMING PIN)

Since I am a hand-loader, this stuff does not hold much appeal to me.
    Is there any interest in Berdan primed 30-06 these days?
    I think that FN did not change over to non-corrosive until 1958, so this stuff may be corrosive primed as well.

If not, I guess I could either shoot it and chuck the brass... or pull the bullets.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Not worth it with 30-06 and I'm sure you know this but you can buy a berdan decapping pin, drill out the anvils, uniform the pockets/crimp and load them with boxers. I converted most of my 7.7 and 6,5 Jap brass as well as some other odd hard to find chambering over the years.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona