Thread: Rimfire Scope on a 338

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Rimfire Scope on a 338

Actually, it's not quite like it sounds.

I'll be shooting cast bullets at about 1300 fps at close ranges, like 25 yards. The recoil is negligible, though a little more than from a "Rimfire".

As to why, It's because I have it, and this need for it. Also, I'm thinking that the parallex for Rimfire Scopes are set for closer ranges, and that could give me a slight advantage. ????

The Scope is a Burris 1" tube, 3x9x40 that I got in a Combo Deal with another scope.

It's mounted and everything. (in Weaver QD Rings.)

I'm hoping for some expert feedback before I sight-in and start using it. If there's no reason to think it would come apart, something I haven't thought of, or don't know about, I'm bound to go ahead on.

Whaddaya Think?
    Anybody.

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Go ahead on Smitty. It ortsta work fine. For a couple of years I was shooting reduced loads in a 358 winchester (that got away). I had a rimfire scope on as I mostly was hunting stuff in the rimfire range of 50 yards and under. Maybe I just don't know any better but I think I got along just fine with it! Whatta ya got to loose?

Only one thing to really worry about- eye relief and the prospect of someone mistakenly putting a full-power load in it.

Back in the 70's when I worked in a gun shop we had a client bring his son-in-law by for a little show and tell. Someone in either a KMart of Payless had mounted a rimfire scope of some sort on a 300 Win Mag they sold him. His first rifle and the clerk obviously didn't know any different. I don't even remember the make of the rifle or scope.

The point of the show and tell was the 31 little stitches starting on the bridge of his nose and running half way through his right eyebrow. Worse yet, our client was already calling him One Shot.

Brownbear:
    You must be talking about one of those 3/4 inch tube 22 scopes. I think the clerk that mounted it should be liable.

You couldn't tell the difference in this scope, and one that wasn't for Rimfire, if it didn't say "Rimfire" right on the side there by the turrets. It has a 1" tube, and plenty eye relief. A power Ring for 3 to 9X, etc.

My guess is, that the parallex is different, and maybe it's not as rugged.

The paperwork just says it's good for 22 and 17 caliber.

I have another scope for when I shoot full power 338 rounds. I'll hafta make sure this one's not used for that, but only for the cast loads.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

EKC:
    I guess, I not nuthin to loose, except the scope, if it breaks, and they'd probably repair it.

I'll see if I can shoot consistently better groups at 25 yards, than with the other scope. I think I might. Sometimes, I catch myself moving my eyeball to like up the crosshair to the sight, instead of moving the gun.

Thanks

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

I would be surprised if a Burris wouldn't stand up to any recoil a 338 will give it, they are not cheap junk scopes even if it does say rimfire on it. I think your right on the difference being the parallax and maybe the reticle is slightly different for closer range.

Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default So much for my grand plan

That Rimfire scope didnít work out, worth a hooty, hoot with the cast bullets. I had trouble getting it sighted in, and I wasnít getting good groups. It could have been my hurry up, my shooting, the loads, OR the adjustments needed to settle in. ??? Maybe, I wasnít patient enough, so I can't reely blame the scope for certain.

I went back to the scope that I HAD been using, but didnít think was a good match, and the groups were normal with the cast bullet loads. ???

Anyways, I remembered I had a Cheapy (Non-Rimfire) 1 inch tube scope on my 22 Mag. that I could use, so I took it off for the Cast Bullet rifle, and put the Rimfire Scope on the 22 Mag, where it works fine.

Thanks All
    Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

What are you shooting 25 yards and under with a 338?

Quote Originally Posted by michael wascom View Post
    Anything he wants I would guess.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by michael wascom View Post
    With the cast bullets he's using, it's a great small game combo. Puts you out in the field for months at a time with your big game rifle. Two of my favorite "rabbit" guns? A 375 H&H and a 458 Win Mag. Lead bullets at around 1200fps are wildly accurate all the way out to 100 yards, but most snowshoe hare head smacking is inside 25 yards. Buy some lead bullets. Try it. You'll like it. And in less than 100 rounds, you'll be buying your own casting setup.

Now I'm thinking.

and i'm thinking I'll have to spend more money

I love to shoot cast bullets.

There is little recoil, and cast bullets won't wear out your barrel.

They can be used for Small Game hunting, but I'll be shooting them mostly to familiarize myself with my rifle, and off-hand shooting practice.

It can be harder to find an accurate load with cast bullets, and there isn't as much exacting loading data out there for cast bullets, but that makes for some interesting hand-loading which is fun too.

You can use 2 scopes, with QD rings, one for cast bullets, and the other for Full Power Loads, which is what I'm doing with the 338 and another rifle.

IF, you end up with a load that shoots, close enough at up to 25 yards, with the same sight-in as for your Full Power Loads, you can carry a few in your pocket when you're hunting for beeg game, so you have the option of taking small game with your beeg rifle, without blowing them apart. I have a load like that for what has been my Main Hunting Rifle.

Hey, its not as crazy as scopes on handguns, rifle cartridges in handguns, compound bows, In-line Muzzle loaders, and football bats. Wal, I don't think it is. ????

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    With the cast bullets he's using, it's a great small game combo. Puts you out in the field for months at a time with your big game rifle. Two of my favorite "rabbit" guns? A 375 H&H and a 458 Win Mag. Lead bullets at around 1200fps are wildly accurate all the way out to 100 yards, but most snowshoe hare head smacking is inside 25 yards. Buy some lead bullets. Try it. You'll like it. And in less than 100 rounds, you'll be buying your own casting setup.

soi take it leading isnt an issue with the barrel?
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

At those velocities and a fair bit faster, not at all. Clean the barrel thoroughly to remove all copper fouling beforehand for best accuracy, then use a good lube and keep your velocities sensible. I like to stay below 1500 fps, mostly for accuracy and ease of shooting. I like the Lyman #2 alloy, but wheelweights work just fine. A gas check is more or less standard, but I've done just fine in that velocity range with bullets that don't have them.

It's really cheap shooting with "free" bullets and small powder charges. Frankly it's really eaten into my consumption of 22 rimfire ammo. And at least as accurate. Way more fun to be using that big game rifle more than a few days a year.