Thread: What do you guys look for?

Default What do you guys look for?

Just wondering what you guys look for when your scouting a new area for bear baitng.?

bears..

secondary, and primary data that reveals population densities and success ratios. tracks, trails, signs, berry locations and or other food sources.. including but not limited to migratory game trails.....ease of accessibility but following all game regulations.. YADA YADA YADA...

ohh yeah I ask the local bio for information as primary source data... and look at the big map of pre registered bait stations..or last years bait stations

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

People...And when I find them, I keep going more remote until I don't...
    It's getting harder to find good spots around Anchorage area within a 3 hr drive that isn't well known or already loaded with barrels. But if you put in extra leg work it normally pays off in the end. Good luck to ya.

Thumbs up I look for these...

A decent/good bear population, good bear cover, foods that bears eat, water sources and NO humans. I mix it all together and have had great success year after year for over 20 yrs bear baiting with this recipe. It didn't matter if it was a new bait site or an established one. There are a few other time tested tricks, but some things ya just have to learn on your own...It's more rewarding that way. Best of luck..
    Last edited by swampdonkey; 02-13-2010 at 23:03. Reason: Add info.

Scouting out a new area:

I recommend looking for scat, flourishing vegetation and packed game trails. Bears tend to like a secluded area with lots of trees. Yeah, you can put your barrel in an open area. But you're not going to get a lot of bears in if they feel naked and unsafe. Tuck your barrel in among the trees with an open shooting lane.
    Best of Luck
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

-agree with secluded, wooded areas...and kind of slightly higher elevation than one might think-
    - down here, areas that will be heavily vegetated with devils club-
    -not too far from streams;
    -and we have had success at the bases of steep ridges covered with ferns and devils club,so they can pause and watch from on top before coming down to the bait-

-but, these points may only be helpful for the Kenai-?

-I think bears, in general, differ in habit, depending on the varying areas in Alaska-
    ....a well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed....