Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How are Lingcod on the table?

Default How are Lingcod on the table?

I will be on a lingcod trip this summer and was wondering how they are on the table. I have had atlantic cod and its ok but nothing like halibut or salmon fresh from the salt. Whats your favorite way to cook lings?

Default they are sweet

very good fish cook the same as you cook halibut

Default Among the finest...

The ling cod, in my opinion, is one of the finest in Alaska's cold water table fare. I skin and broil this fish every time. I never coat it with anything save for a little butter or olive oil.

Condiment selections should accompany it during serving, and from tartar sauce to the dipping sauces, they will compliment its easy preparation.

To me, the ling is among one of the best prizes of the sea...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

It should be noted that ling cod, particularly larger ones, are significantly higher in mercury than most Alaskan fish. Women who are pregnant, breast feeding, or who hope to become pregnant within the next few years should avoid ling cod as table fare. One or two servings won't hurt if not yet pregnant, but mercury accumulates in the body's fat tissue and can have a detrimental effect on the developing fetus.

Default also remember

An erection lasting more than four hours, seek medical treatment immediately. Check with your doctor if you are taking nytrates for a heart condition, Blah, blah, blah
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Default what's your problem, Whop?

brian made a good point, one relevant to the OP's question. your "contribution" was worthless.
    another point is that lingcod are not cod at all, and are the largest member of the greenling family.
    they are excellent table fare.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Talking Ling are great eating

One of my favorite ways to cook ling is on the bar-b-que with a little bit of ranch dressing brushed on top.I don't care for ranch on a salad but it brings out a trmendous flavor in any white fleshed fish.Try it you might just like it.

Beats halibut for me.....season with Citrus Griill from Sam's.....

So I guess the question is now, when and where are we going . I've gotta try out some of your recipes.

Default Resources

Homerdave, yr a terrific resource on this forum ....... thx, for the info, pls keep it coming.

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Quote Originally Posted by patrickL View Post
    So I guess the question is now, when and where are we going . I've gotta try out some of your recipes.
    I've got some sockeye waiting to meet a cedar plank on the bar-b-que later tonite.UUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    An erection lasting more than four hours, seek medical treatment immediately. Check with your doctor if you are taking nytrates for a heart condition, Blah, blah, blah
    Yeah, I know...unnecessary information for most. I know that I am not the only one with a wife who is pregnant or who is planning on it, however. I'm assuming that most who are planning to have children would rather keep chemicals out of their bodies that can impair neurological development. That may be a blah, blah, blah comment to some, but it's pretty darn important to me and I'm very glad that someone shared it with me at some point.

I grew up on fish from the Mississippi river in MN so if heavy metals were going to get me it would have happend by now besides i really like not having to use a flashlight to see things in the dark.

Default Jesus guys... It...

It was a joke, albeit maybe a lousy one. You guys need to lighten up just a little!! SHeeesh!!
    What part of the LOL face didn't you guys catch? Go look at my post again.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

kgpcr - I wasn't suggesting that ling cod would harm you. Adults can handle mercury much better than fetuses and infants. As for the fish in the Mississipi, though Alaska's waters seem pristene, top water predatory fish and mammals have higher levels of mercury than most fish in seemingly polluted waterways.

Default Do I need to apoligize for...

Having a warped sense of humor? I will if need be, was not taking Brian's post as trivial, it just hit me as funny. Nough said

Brian
    I was in now way mocking you. Sorry if it seemed that way. I guess i should have mentioned i lived not far from a nuke plant. Also back in the day the river was a place i went to in order to eat. It provided many a meal of walleye or crappie. I have not eaten fish out of the miss for years nor do i plan on it.

Fantastic!

1-2 lb filet
    cover with salsa
    sprinkle cheddar cheese
    cover with crushed corn chips
    bake at 400 for approx 30 min
    spread with sour cream after baking

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    If I get an erection for four hours or more I ain't the only one going to the hospital!

Seriously, some people love lings more than halibut but our family did some direct taste tests one year and we still think halibut is king.
    Tennessee

Cool Ling as table fare

I hate to be the odd man out but we've tried it several times and we don't think it's that great. We don't have any trouble trading ling fillets for halibut.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast