Thread: Rabbit

Default Rabbit

How is the range at Rabbit in anchorage right now? I have never shot there - can you take your time or is it hurry up and shoot kind of setting?

I have some .338 rounds that I need to document...

Any other places in town to go shoot?

I don't know of any other ranges around town, but RC is pretty good. The timing between strings is not bad everytime I've been there. Everyone is very cooperative and if it is crowded, the range cadre keep the range running smooth with about 15 minute intervals between hot and cold. They will watch to see if it gets quiet and let the target checks go without delay. You can't shoot past 100 yards though.

RC is the most poorly managed range in the area. It's ran by lazy cigar smoke belching state workers only interesting adopting Califorias rules for their range. My wife refuses to go shooting with me at RC because of the hostile cigar smoke belching staff. We now go to Birchwood. It's a much friendlier enviroment. The ranges at birchwood are better and give you more options. Do yourself a favor and don't even bother wasting your time at RC.

Quote Originally Posted by seant View Post
    RC is the most poorly managed range in the area. It's ran by lazy cigar smoke belching state workers only interesting adopting Califorias rules for their range. My wife refuses to go shooting with me at RC because of the hostile cigar smoke belching staff. We now go to Birchwood. It's a much friendlier enviroment. The ranges at birchwood are better and give you more options. Do yourself a favor and don't even bother wasting your time at RC.
    While I do like Birchwood much better, there are a couple of things that Rabbit Creek has going against it. The first is that each range there is twice as big as it should be. You get 50 people who aren't disciplined shooters all on the same line and it has to be a real chore to keep things safe. By contrast, the ranges at Birchwood are smaller so you only have to deal with maybe 10 to 20 other people on the line. The other thing with RC is that there are far more first time shooters, or shooters who know nothing about basic firearm safety. I can't tell you how many times I've had a gun pointed at me by some goober "teaching" his wife or girlfriend how to shoot. I have also had that happen to me at Birchwood, but it's far more rare there.

The staff at RC have a lot more headaches to deal with the the staff at Birchwood, and so they have to keep a tighter reign on things. Yes, it does ruffle peoples' feathers from time to time, mine included, but that's better than letting the ignorant and unsafe rule the range.

Mike

Default Wait a minute...

The RC range is a fine shooting range. I have been shooting there for over twenty years, and I have always experienced the staff to be very safety conscious (a good thing) and friendly. Calling them lazy state workers is truly unfortunate and grossly inaccurate...and that's saying it nicely.

Doc

Doc,

I have also gone RC for over 20 years and "friendly" is a term, which I would never use to descibe the atmosphere or staff.

It has actually been unfriendly for as long as I can remember... and thats saying it nicely from my perspective. The OP asked for an opinion. I think that my opinion of RC is pretty clear and I know many others in the community who feel the same way.

I guess we can agree to disagree.

As a side note, what kind of Doc are you?

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    The RC range is a fine shooting range. I have been shooting there for over twenty years, and I have always experienced the staff to be very safety conscious (a good thing) and friendly. Calling them lazy state workers is truly unfortunate and grossly inaccurate...and that's saying it nicely.

Doc
    Well put, Doc. I agree completly.

Quote Originally Posted by seant View Post
    Doc,

I have also gone RC for over 20 years and "friendly" is a term, which I would never use to descibe the atmosphere or staff.

It has actually been unfriendly for as long as I can remember... and thats saying it nicely from my perspective. The OP asked for an opinion. I think that my opinion of RC is pretty clear and I know many others in the community who feel the same way.

I guess we can agree to disagree.

As a side note, what kind of Doc are you?

Sean
    Fair enough...I agree that we disagree.

Doc

(I'm a shrink)