Thread: Gunsmith work .458 win

Default Gunsmith work .458 win

I just got another ruger#1 chamberd in .458 win and understand you can make it into a .458 lott,is it worth doing ? How much would it cost? Are bullits more expensive(they are sure proud of .458 win)and can you find bullits on the shelf our do you have to reload?

Default Ruger No. 1 to .458 Lott

It is an easy re-chambering job. If you are handy you can buy or rent a reamer and do it yourself. I have no idea what a gunsmith would charge for the job.

Factory ammo is pricey like the .458 Win. You can still shoot the .458 Win. in a .458 Lott so that is one advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotton View Post
    I just got another ruger#1 chamberd in .458 win and understand you can make it into a .458 lott,is it worth doing ? How much would it cost? Are bullits more expensive(they are sure proud of .458 win)and can you find bullits on the shelf our do you have to reload?
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

A little #1 in 458 Lott sounds painful to me.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

We have the reamer at the shop to do your conversion. For cutting the chamber, re-stamp the cal, and testfire it should be pretty reasonable. Don't know for sure on the price but I don't think it's gonna break the bank.

WWG
    7100 Homer drive
    Anchorage, AK
    344-4500

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    A little #1 in 458 Lott sounds painful to me.
    u should shoot my brothers #1 .470 nitro express talk about whiplash!

I don't know for sure but I think you will be in the same recoil ballpark with the Lott.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default No. 1 recoil

Some people rechambered the .458 Wins to .460 Weatherby and the .375 H&Hs to .378 Weatherby. I can't imagine touching one off in either calaiber in a No. 1.

I was considering getting a .458 Win bored out to .500 Nitro but I understand the thread holes for the rib may be too deep. I still researching. The .500 Nitro will have plenty of kick but the larger calibers seem to push more than punch so it isn't quite a painful.

Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Default Reload your Lott

It is worth the money in up to three boxes of loaded ammo to buy the dies and load your own 458 Lott or Watts loads. expect 159.00 per box of 458 Lott. Also ask yourself this: if 500 gr bullet with 87gr of powder kill or do you need to move to 102gr of powder with the same bullet? I say more os always better if you shoot bears. I had an F N bear charge me and I contend that a 505 gibbs would be usful in that situation. Actually I would have preferred to had a 25mm Bushmaster chain gun that day!

You can still shoot 458 Win Mag if you ream the chamber to a Lott and the rifle will become worth more money so it is worth doin!!
    God, Guns and Guts is what made America Great

Thanks for all your helpfull info.I am definalty am going to convert to the lott,it's helpfull to know i can shoot my boxes of .458 win that i have left when I convert it.The kid I will be giveing your shop a call soon