Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Single six?

Default Single six?

So you guys and gals mind telling me about the rugger single six and your experiences with it? I know it's the first revolver with a aluminum alloy frame, considered a mid range plunker at the time and I managed to date mine to approximately 1957. (the gun was produced between 1953-1972)
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    So you guys and gals mind telling me about the rugger single six and your experiences with it? I know it's the first revolver with a aluminum alloy frame, considered a mid range plunker at the time and I managed to date mine to approximately 1957. (the gun was produced between 1953-1972)
    You must have the Old Model, without the Transfer Bar.

I got mine back about 61 or 62. I carry an empty under the hammer for safety reasons. They can be sent to RUGER, for modification, for free, and you get the old parts back.

You can shoot it at any range you like. Mine is accurate. It's a good rugged Single Action Revolver. I carried it so much, that much of the blueing is worn off. I used it for hunting, Spruce Hens, Ptarmigan, and Wabbits. I bagged a bunch of'em too.

They might need smooth the trigger some, to shoot more accurately, but that depends on the trigger and the shooter, I think.

You'll have fun with it.
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Great little gun! The frame is cast steel with an aluminum alloy grip frame bolted on. Elmer Keith would media blast the grip frame of his Rugers to a mat finish and they look great that way. If you have the 22lr and 22Mag cylinders don't waste your money shooting mags from it, the lr is just as hot as the mag from its short barrel. Don’t lose the cylinder though since it’s a good selling point.

Like Smitty said pack it with 5 and the hammer on an empty chamber or send it to Ruger for the transfer bar for free. If you send it in they send the original parts back with it so it can be put back and not affect any collector value. You don’t want to lose the parts just like the cylinder for value sake.

Great shooting guns, loads of fun, and very useful in the field. Couldn’t begin to count all the game I have taken with one. Dang good little trap line gun.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

My Single Six twas the only gun I kilt squirrels with last year. I gotta admit that I didn't kill near as many squirrels as in past years as I passed up a lot of shots that I could have made with a rifle. It ain't a game of numbers for me anymore and its a bigger hoot to kill a couple with my Single Six than fill my limit with a rifle.

I agree with Mr.Fields about the magnum cylinder. I don't think mines ever been in the gun and not likely to be. I think we've move three times since I saw it last. I got no clue as to what mother done with it! She's always loosin my stuff!

The thing I like about them is that once you get good with them all the big critter Blackhawks are easier to shoot!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    My Single Six twas the only gun I kilt squirrels with last year. I gotta admit that I didn't kill near as many squirrels as in past years as I passed up a lot of shots that I could have made with a rifle. It ain't a game of numbers for me anymore and its a bigger hoot to kill a couple with my Single Six than fill my limit with a rifle.

I agree with Mr.Fields about the magnum cylinder. I don't think mines ever been in the gun and not likely to be. I think we've move three times since I saw it last. I got no clue as to what mother done with it! She's always loosin my stuff!

The thing I like about them is that once you get good with them all the big critter Blackhawks are easier to shoot!
    I sure like mine. My Dad had it since I was a kid and recently gave it to me. It's one of those kind of guns that brings you back if your heritage is filled with shooting and guns that are hierlooms. I'll shoot the mag cylinder every so often just for kicks. Mine is the "old model" with the 3 frame screws, pre 1973. It will be one to stay in the family or I'll haunt whoever lets it out!

Default Excellent revolver

I've owned a Single Six since I was about 13 and have slew many critters with it. My experience with the mag cyl mirrors others' here, I shot 6 round through it and deemed it too dang loud.

The little buggers are accurate and dang near indestructable, trust me ..... well then again you guys remember being 13, don't you. I have used mine to take all manner of stuff like, mice, rats, squirrels, rabbits, grouse, prarie dogs, cow chasin' regular dogs,beavers,turtles, bullfrogs, a wild hog, and even a running coyote from 75yds.

Get lots of miles out of it and have fun.

Mine has definitely seen some action but that just improves it's mojo, I swear some bows and guns have a spirit of there own and this one is definitely among them. Had it out knocking down cans and I got to say it is a hoot! I'm going to transport it empty and load it when I reach my hunt area, planning my first rabbit outing with it Monday.

I'm hoping using it will help with my accuracy with my supper redhawk, I did the rookie mistake of shooting hot loads in it and my accuracy has been in the toilet with it ever since. My brother is a semi auto shooter and a **** good one, he has already made fun of me and my "antique little gun". Guess thats what brothers are for, besides if he doesn't like it it's probably perfect for me. Every time I shoot it I hear "cowboy" by Kid Rock in the back of my mind. Ya I'm having fun!
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default Mine's not the antique your's are,

I's a bicentenial new model single-six, had it sence new out of the box.
    The only thing aluminum is the trigger gard.
    I also have the bicentenial semi auto, but Prefir the wheel gun when it comes to having fun .
    It is most practicle for the desert having the first rounds snake shot and the rest regular hollow points.
    I've taught my wife and kids with it and take it with, hunting just as a light shooter for rabbits and squrrels, and rattlers(only if necessary).
    I shoot the mags from time to time ,but I find that it throws the gun around,and so the accuricy. not worth mag amo investment . Do you think magnaporting would help that ?
    I really wish Ruger would make a .117 hmr single six. I'd take on in a heart beat. but that's a different thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Arleigh View Post
    rattlers(only if necessary).
    As a former Arizona desert dweller let me translate that for ya. (Only if I see them but don't tell the city folk that.)

I shoot the mags from time to time ,but I find that it throws the gun around,and so the accuricy. not worth mag amo investment . Do you think magnaporting would help that ?
    I put them both over a crono from mine years ago and found the mag acutely runs about 25fps slower than the LR with the same bullet weight. The mag has slower powder and out dose LR by a good margin in a rifle but is a waste in the short barrel. I think the added recoil and muzzle lift you feel is the extra gas pushing back after the bullet is gone from the barrel.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I really wish Ruger would make a .117 hmr single six. I'd take on in a heart beat. but that's a different thread.

Ruger does offer the single six in .17hmr.
    http://www.ruger.com/products/newMod...ed/models.html

I have one in .32h&r mag, that thing is a riot. It is my bunny/snake gun for Arizona, and has taken more than a couple grouse too.

Jake
    All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by jakec5253 View Post

I have one in .32h&r mag, that thing is a riot. It is my bunny/snake gun for Arizona, and has taken more than a couple grouse too.

Jake
    Do you know if it comes with the .17mach cylinder as well? Didn't see in the specs or extras. Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by jakec5253 View Post

Jake
    .17hmr and a adjustable rear sight. I think I need to start saving my pennies!! Here is a pic of mine, like I said it's seen it's share of action.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BHA Member

I was just thumbing through the Midway USA catalog that came in the mail last week and happened across .17 conversion parts for Single Six.

There is a 6" .17 barrel for $68.99
    Then your choice of 17HMR or 17HM2 cylinder for $94.99

It says gunsmithing required but if you can thread on a barrel, hone a cylinder to your frame, and set the gap (none of which is complicated) you could be good to go for $163.99 and shipping.

Here are links to the parts online and I see the 17HM2 is on clearance for $70.82

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=959395

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=319488

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=466408
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I got a stainless one a few years back from a buddy's dad who was selling off some of his guns. He bought it for the heck of it and had it hanging on his wall. It had been shot maybe 25 times and he sold it to me for $50.

I love it. It is fun to shoot and fairly accurate at close range. Much more fun on squirrels and such than a rifle.

www.outwriteoutdoors.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sigler916 View Post
    It had been shot maybe 25 times and he sold it to me for $50.
    I hope you bought him a stake or something . . . wanna double your money so I can double mine?
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    Ya I'm having fun!
    Me too. That's what it's all about. "Having Fun".

Learning while you doing, and finding the potential.

My guns are for shooting.

My focus, and more so recently, is to tinker with, and improve, the guns I already own, rather than buy new ones.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I bought one for my son a couple of years ago and it is still his favorite shooting .22. I must admit the thing is fun and is accurate. He was thrilled when he plucked a grouse out of a tree at about 40 yards. I was impressed (I missed with my auto.).

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmaverick View Post
    I bought one for my son a couple of years ago and it is still his favorite shooting .22. I must admit the thing is fun and is accurate. He was thrilled when he plucked a grouse out of a tree at about 40 yards. I was impressed (I missed with my auto.).

I got mine before they put out the pistol with the mag cylinder and got it with a 10" barrel. I think mine cost me 49.95 from FedMart in Phoenix, Arizona in the 1960 era. The Blackhawk .357 was like 67.50 if memory serves me right. However I do well reember the good old carmel popcorn they made for next to nothing that folks would stand in line to get.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    I got mine before they put out the pistol with the mag cylinder and got it with a 10" barrel. I think mine cost me 49.95 from FedMart in Phoenix, Arizona in the 1960 era. The Blackhawk .357 was like 67.50 if memory serves me right. However I do well reember the good old carmel popcorn they made for next to nothing that folks would stand in line to get.
    I remember FedMart in Phoenix and Coronet to. My favorites for gun shopping back then were The jewel Box and Six Points Hardware, sure do miss the pre box store days.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Sanford bait and takle and Jay's sporting goods(Before the old man passed frankly I think he'd kill his sons if he could see what they have done!) were my favorites
    BHA Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast